Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Darrion will be playing with New Haven from what I understand. New Haven produced VJ Beachem (Notre Dame) and Steve McElvene (spelled wrong I am sure). Steve is the C who played for Archie at Dayton and died in his soph. year. VJ and Steve both would have played for Harding but the school was shut down and all the students sent to other East Allen County Schools. *Interesting side note, nothing to do with basketball... Harding was majority African American and students were then sent to primarily white, farmer schools (Woodlan, Heritage, Leo, New Haven)

New Haven plays

Blackhawk Christin (Caleb Furst) on Dec 6th

Homestead (Luke Goode, only a Jr) on December 14th 

Other notes

-Kentucky is by far the favorite for Darrion right now. However, how this season plays out for his brother could easily change his mind. 

-99.9% that Darrion will end up at a prep school ---> unless his father can turn this into him getting the NH coaching job (basically what his dad tried to do at North Side, which failed)

-I will be very shocked if he stays in state for college. 

As a New Haven alum, I wouldn't be too excited about the prospect of that father trying to use the  New Haven school and team purely to advance their own selfish agenda. If they want to be part of the team and community,  that's one thing. If they're going to try to create a situation just to showcase Darrion, that's something else.  Especially if he is planning to go the prep route his senior season. 

Take a page from the Watfords and see how you handle having a star player come in and be a part of the team,  and a family a part of the community. Pure class.

To your side note, you are spot on about the demographic shift for the former Harding students, although I wouldn't exactly include New Haven amongst the other three as "farmer" schools.  New Haven had about as many farmers as Harding did!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Darrion will be playing with New Haven from what I understand. New Haven produced VJ Beachem (Notre Dame) and Steve McElvene (spelled wrong I am sure). Steve is the C who played for Archie at Dayton and died in his soph. year. VJ and Steve both would have played for Harding but the school was shut down and all the students sent to other East Allen County Schools. *Interesting side note, nothing to do with basketball... Harding was majority African American and students were then sent to primarily white, farmer schools (Woodlan, Heritage, Leo, New Haven)

New Haven plays

Blackhawk Christin (Caleb Furst) on Dec 6th

Homestead (Luke Goode, only a Jr) on December 14th 

Other notes

-Kentucky is by far the favorite for Darrion right now. However, how this season plays out for his brother could easily change his mind. 

-99.9% that Darrion will end up at a prep school ---> unless his father can turn this into him getting the NH coaching job (basically what his dad tried to do at North Side, which failed)

-I will be very shocked if he stays in state for college. 

Does anyone know who the head coach at New Haven is now? I know when Big Steve and Beachem played there it was Al Golden who is the head coach at Lawrence Central. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Darrion is a 6'5" SF/SG freshman for the New Haven Bulldogs.  He is the younger brother of Keion Brooks.  He averaged 5 PPG 2.5 RPG .5 SPG 1.0 BPG.   The Bulldogs upset Luke Goode and Homestead to win the Sectional this year.  He relishes defense.  He's interested in IU among others, but I don't think he has a "list", yet.

I graduated from NH in 1970.  So I'm interested in following his career.  I don't know about others my age, but it still sounds strange to hear that a 6'5" freshmen is a G/F!

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

Darrion is a 6'5" SF/SG freshman for the New Haven Bulldogs.  He is the younger brother of Keion Brooks.  He averaged 5 PPG 2.5 RPG .5 SPG 1.0 BPG.   The Bulldogs upset Luke Goode and Homestead to win the Sectional this year.  He relishes defense.  He's interested in IU among others, but I don't think he has a "list", yet.

I graduated from NH in 1970.  So I'm interested in following his career.  I don't know about others my age, but it still sounds strange to hear that a 6'5" freshmen is a G/F!

Zero interest in this one. Sorry. Don't trust the family and I wish him well. 

11 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Darrion says IU and MSU the first schools to contact him.  He likes IU and CAM. 

If CAM is recruiting him, I don't think he believes the way you guys do.

Give the kid a chance.

Sounds like there was al lot of influence on the others decision   

I know he's just a freshman in HS and has a lot of time to improve but his stats this past season aren't that good. Especially considering he's already 6'5" playing the guard position so he's taller than most of his defenders.

Anyone know what his AAU stats were against competition his own age?

50 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Darrion says IU and MSU the first schools to contact him.  He likes IU and CAM. 

If CAM is recruiting him, I don't think he believes the way you guys do.

Give the kid a chance.

Maybe Mom is speaking up this time around. Still....no dice. Don't trust any of them. Anyone who can buy Cal and in the process use Snow as an outlet media wise to say why they didn't choose IU? Whole family can hit the bricks.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, rico said:

As a guy that played HS hoops in the FW area, I follow it some what closely in my old age.  With the KBJ debacle at FW North, I can't help but wonder what this man would have to say...

https://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/byard-hey/

By Hey was my math teacher In HS.  Great man!  One of my favorite teachers.  Loved to get him talking BB on Mondays after a game the prior Fri.  Often would forget the assignment and teaching for that day so we never missed an opportunity to critique the games during BB season.  He was a good Christian man as well. Sadly he passed away Dec 2019.  RIP coach.

Knowing him he wouldn't automatically ascribe issues with the older brother to Darrion.  If CAM doesn't feel like there is a problem, I will trust his judgment on this one.  That doesn't meant that the manner in which KBJ recruitment ended doesn't leave an putrid taste in my mouth.

Archived