Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

Darrion says IU and MSU the first schools to contact him.  He likes IU and CAM. 

If CAM is recruiting him, I don't think he believes the way you guys do.

Give the kid a chance.

I'm willing to give him a chance, but I understand fan reluctance.  If this recruitment is handled like the last one ("time to be selfish" & "I'm looking for the quickest way to those NBA millions"), I'm not interested either. 

UK is a program to showcase your skills, not to develop them and I can say without any hesitation that UK was a very bad decision for big brother, who could have absolutely developed better in other programs.  If the family can't see by now what a poor fit UK was for KBJ, best of luck to you all.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Dang, people need to cite their sources in this thread.  Here is a story on Darrion, with the heavy lifting by @IndySportsPartizan

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-involved-early-with-next-emerging-star-from-brooks-family/

Like I said, I'm willing to keep an open mind, but if you're wanting my sources, (1) the selfish comment was senior's tweet and (2) quickest path to NBA millions was said by junior in his post-selection press conference (admittedly a paraphrase, but I think it's very close to what was said).  Neither statement was particularly endearing to me, but I can allow the first recruiting experience for a family can be a learning experience.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Like I said, I'm willing to keep an open mind, but if you're wanting my sources, (1) the selfish comment was senior's tweet and (2) quickest path to NBA millions was said by junior in his post-selection press conference (admittedly a paraphrase, but I think it's very close to what was said).  Neither statement was particularly endearing to me, but I can allow the first recruiting experience for a family can be a learning experience.

No sorry, I should have been more clear.  I understand those sentiments.  My comment was directed towards the person in this thread that was pulling things out of the article and trying to claim them as their own insights on this board.  Kind of a BS thing to do IMO.

27 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I'll trust Archie's judgment on this recruitment rather than some melodramatic keyboard warriors.

I'll play along. It's not melodramatic keyboard warriors. It's a family that went out of their way to use other media types say that IU fans were the reason he didn't want to come because we were so critical of players. Sorry....that sort of direct shot at IU and IU fans isn't something I'm going to just look past. Legends of the game (Coach K, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun) have always discussed what an honor it is to play at Assembly Hall AND in front of our fans and were supposed to just let an in state family take a shot at us? Not in my world. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 

31 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I'll trust Archie's judgment on this recruitment rather than some melodramatic keyboard warriors.

My only concern is not with Archie's decision to go after him, but rather Sr being more a "PITA" than Sr Smith was, if CAM lands him. Essentially being a back seat coach from the bleachers.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 

Hey I get it. In the end it was Keions choice...not his dads no matter how much influence his dad had in the process. It’s not like he decommitted or something. Nobody likes it but let’s not pretend that a good amount of recruiting works this way when you get into deep end of the pool with 5*s. A lot of people get involved but again the kid makes the choice at the end. Despite the poor choice Keion might have made in schools he has been nothing near a distraction at UK...in fact I heard he was one of the hardest workers on the team and a great teammate. It does seem his dad wants to get his kids into the nba as quick as possible but if we land this kid Who is very talented and who might be incredibly coachable and a good teammate isn’t that what we want. Sure I don’t think CAM will make any concessions for him but if he wants to play at IU...we shouldn’t turn our backs on him.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Hey I get it. In the end it was Keions choice...not his dads no matter how much influence his dad had in the process. It’s not like he decommitted or something. Nobody likes it but let’s not pretend that a good amount of recruiting works this way when you get into deep end of the pool with 5*s. A lot of people get involved but again the kid makes the choice at the end. Despite the poor choice Keion might have made in schools he has been nothing near a distraction at UK...in fact I heard he was one of the hardest workers on the team and a great teammate. It does seem his dad wants to get his kids into the nba as quick as possible but if we land this kid Who is very talented and who might be incredibly coachable and a good teammate isn’t that what we want. Sure I don’t think CAM will make any concessions for him but if he wants to play at IU...we shouldn’t turn our backs on him.

I just wouldn't recruit him. I will be surprised if CAM shows true interest. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

No sorry, I should have been more clear.  I understand those sentiments.  My comment was directed towards the person in this thread that was pulling things out of the article and trying to claim them as their own insights on this board.  Kind of a BS thing to do IMO.

Yeah..I think we can all use a refresher in how to attribute a quote or info on these boards. Typically I just link the article and paraphrase but I was far from an English major so if there is a better way just let us know. We definitely appreciate the quality that our professionals contribute to our board! Ty!

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just wouldn't recruit him. I will be surprised if CAM shows true interest. 

Why would he even recruit him at all. 100s of kids to recruit...guess all I’m saying is CAM understands what recruiting 5*s look like. It’s very murky Waters but to get some of these level kids like he did at Arizona for his brother...he will have to swim in those waters. 

He may be a completely different personality. If he blossoms like big bro did, CAM will act as he deems necessary. Perhaps KB experience at Kentucky isn’t something the family will want to happen again?

He’s what, 2023? Lotta time to go. No reason not to get in early? There’s already an established relationship there. How well it is, many or all of us may never know? 

Indiana kids are already starting to want to go to IU again. Couple successful campaigns will make an IU offer even sexier!

4 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I agree...plagiarism is wrong in any setting.  Sorry I missed the point.

Not sure why people are bashing this kid for a decision his older brother made. Would you find it fair if people made judgements about you over things that were out of your control? 

For all we know, he may do what the Trendon Watfords of the world do and decide that he wants to create his own legacy at a different school. 

Had last season not been such a disaster I think Keion would have gone to IU. Not an insider but he seemed very interested up until we had that long string of losses and the overall vibe around the program was super depressing. 

Trust the coaching staff, if they aren’t hurt by the family’s decision (and they are the ones that actually put in that time and effort) then we shouldn’t be either.

3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Not sure why people are bashing this kid for a decision his older brother made. Would you find it fair if people made judgements about you over things that were out of your control? 

For all we know, he may do what the Trendon Watfords of the world do and decide that he wants to create his own legacy at a different school. 

Had last season not been such a disaster I think Keion would have gone to IU. Not an insider but he seemed very interested up until we had that long string of losses and the overall vibe around the program was super depressing. 

Trust the coaching staff, if they aren’t hurt by the family’s decision (and they are the ones that actually put in that time and effort) then we shouldn’t be either.

Bang

3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

None of us said we don't trust the staff. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think we trust the staff. That isn't the issue. Trusting the family is though. Their methods of trying to justify their own decision isn't something I at least won't forget.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we trust the staff. That isn't the issue. Trusting the family is though. Their methods of trying to justify their own decision isn't something I at least won't forget.

You guys are saying "don't recruit this kid" because "you don't trust the family", so do you not trust the staff's judgement that they know the current situation better than you? As I said, I don't get why you're more upset over Keion's decision than the coaches are. According to TDH, Mich St was one of the first schools to reach out to Darrion and Tom Izzo had recruited Keion since he was in middle school. If the guy who had invested the most time and effort into building a relationship with this family isn't holding a grudge, I don't see why you should either. 

I'm not sure why we just automatically think that Darrion sees eye to eye with Keion's decision and how the family went about it. I'm sure some of you would say you're not entirely fond of your wife's/girlfriend's family but you put it aside because of the bigger picture. Guess we should have never recruited Cody Zeller since his brothers didn't go to IU too...

Just saying this is an entirely different recruitment and don't forget, the Brooks' are very close with the Jackson-Davis and Franklin family, so I doubt our beloved hoosiers would appreciate you speaking so poorly of them. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

You guys are saying "don't recruit this kid" because "you don't trust the family", so do you not trust the staff's judgement that they know the current situation better than you? As I said, I don't get why you're more upset over Keion's decision than the coaches are. According to TDH, Mich St was one of the first schools to reach out to Darrion and Tom Izzo had recruited Keion since he was in middle school. If the guy who had invested the most time and effort into building a relationship with this family isn't holding a grudge, I don't see why you should either. 

I'm not sure why we just automatically think that Darrion sees eye to eye with Keion's decision and how the family went about it. I'm sure some of you would say you're not entirely fond of your wife's/girlfriend's family but you put it aside because of the bigger picture. Guess we should have never recruited Cody Zeller since his brothers didn't go to IU too...

Just saying this is an entirely different recruitment and don't forget, the Brooks' are very close with the Jackson-Davis and Franklin family, so I doubt our beloved hoosiers would appreciate you speaking so poorly of them. 

I guess to put it bluntly. Big difference when it comes to in state vs out of state recruiting. Of course Izzo can look like a "let the past be the past guy"....it suits him and his motives. He wants to be involved in the state that his treated him well....while making sure he can still get kids from here. 

Your examples of Zeller aren't remotely close to being an analogy. 3 coaches ago.  In terms of TJD and Armaan. Guess everyone has a different definition of the term close. All good though. Fun conversation. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess to put it bluntly. Big difference when it comes to in state vs out of state recruiting. Of course Izzo can look like a "let the past be the past guy"....it suits him and his motives. He wants to be involved in the state that his treated him well....while making sure he can still get kids from here. 

Your examples of Zeller aren't remotely close to being an analogy. 3 coaches ago.  In terms of TJD and Armaan. Guess everyone has a different definition of the term close. All good though. Fun conversation. 

Izzo spent over 5 years recruiting Keion and building a relationship with the Brooks family only to see all that time and effort result in Keion committing to another out of state program by a staff that spent about a 1/4 of the time recruiting him in comparison. Izzo has more of a justification to hold a grudge over the Brooks' than literally any other coach/person on this planet and yet here he is being the first one to reach out to the Brooks family about Darrion. 

Does Keion going to UK leave a bad taste in my mouth? Sure. I just don't understand why we are putting Darrion in a bad light over a decision that wasn't his. I don't think it's a poor reflection of Justin Smith when his father goes on an epic twitter rant about Archie and the team. 

My point with the Zellers is that it's not like the decision that Tyler and the family made about going to UNC should have prevented Coach Crean from seeing what Cody's own interests were.  

Keion has literally said that Trayce is his best friend. Trayce and Armaan consider Keion a "close" enough friend that they drove to his commitment ceremony for support. I see Mrs. Franklin interact/support Keion, Mr. and Mrs. Brooks on twitter regularly (even after Keion committed to UK). Lets just all take the high road and not be immature about what a high school kid thought was best for his future. 

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will leave it at this. I think the reasons his family justified sending Keion out of state...the ugly fans etc...it was false...so let’s not make prove them right. Guess we all have our own opinions but hopefully we can not make this recruitment personal.

The whole ugly fan thing was never really a meaningful part of the decision.  They might have been aware of a few bad apples, but you don't send your kid to Kentucky if your overarching decision is based on the fans.

I think there was a belief that Keion could be one and done and UK was the best place to realize that goal.  I never bought it because while Keion is a great player, he was never the sure thing that Calipari typically sends to the league.

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah, they made a pretty big deal of portraying the IU fanbase in a pretty poor light.  I guess you sometimes end up with stuff like that when recruiting a kid because the family may ne an unknown quantity.

To me, this family, particularly Dad, is a pretty known quality.  Sometimes the baggage a kid comes with just is not worth it, no matter how good he is.  I will need a bunch of convincing that the Brooks family is worth having their son play at IU given how our last interaction with them went.

Archived