Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is a sad state that players would be the ones to have to make a change. Why shouldn't the fans be the one who changes and realize that sports is not as important bad they make it.  Why shouldn't the fans grow up and not live their lives through kids playing sports.

In rainbow and unicorn land I agree.

Just saying that since that isn't going to happen....you benefit from the 95% that are positive, increased followers, possibly buying a product each player would endorse to make $....and deal with the 5% as a cost of doing business. Every business owner deals with same numbers. Could have 19 great Yelp reviews and 1 isn't. Part of doing business. Same as a fan base. If the kids want to be in business. They get to be in business. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Personally, I'd keep a private account limited to friends and family where people can respond to you...probably on Facebook.  I'm not sure Twitter is really made for privacy.  You can have a private Twitter account, but it kind of defeats what Twitter is all about, so I'd skip Twitter.  Cameo is a money maker and it appears not to be a platform where trolls can abuse you.  I'd definitely pick and choose carefully and with what I've seen from Twitter, I'd skip that altogether as a player...just too much negativity and distraction.

Problem is if $ is the goal for a players image...you have to use all platforms. No way to pick and choose your battles in the world the players are heading. Unless they choose zero social media and just do ads for local businesses,etc...

I’m in the camp that fans and their parents should just stay off message boards and social media.  Here, you can have a discussion about a player and no good comes out of the parent or player listening in.  Somebody might say “player X needs to work on his release or block out better” or whatever.  It’s not personal.  It’s what’s interesting about sports to some people who like to analyze.  It doesn’t mean the writer doesn’t like the player.  He could be a huge fan but is just making an observation.   Even though it’s not personal, there is nothing good that comes out of the player or parent seeing it.  It’s the staff’s job to coach and the fans can discuss.  That’s all there it is to it.   It’s not bad.  It’s sports.  

Everybody here has probably overheard something about a family member whether it be about sports or anything.  It’s awkward.  Then  it’s magnified for college basketball and football players.  

You can’t forget that fans are the straw that stir the drink.  It’s like a bear pooping in the woods without fans.   There’s no money, TV, exposure, scholarship, etc without fans.  And IU fans are overwhelmingly supportive.  

The thing is, these are kids. Kids communicate with each other via social media. Taking out any connection to basketball, kids communicate about their lives. 

I have grandkids about this age and they would be lost without being able to connect with their friends via social media. God forbid if something is “trending “ and they are out of the loop.

IMO, asking teenagers to forego social media is like cutting off a leg

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is a sad state that players would be the ones to have to make a change. Why shouldn't the fans be the one who changes and realize that sports is not as important bad they make it.  Why shouldn't the fans grow up and not live their lives through kids playing sports.

Anybody is welcome to disagree, but I don’t see too much of IU kids getting bashed unless there is a lack of effort or inability to learn from their mistakes (obviously not caring about them). College kids want to be young adults, so if they continue to make the same mistakes over and over, or lack effort they won’t survive in the real world anyway. They might as well learn what a boss is like now. Hate to be harsh, but I’d say the large majority can respect a mediocre player that gives his best 100% of the time. If you can’t do that simple thing, then IMO you deserve backlash. 

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Anybody is welcome to disagree, but I don’t see too much of IU kids getting bashed unless there is a lack of effort or inability to learn from their mistakes (obviously not caring about them). College kids want to be young adults, so if they continue to make the same mistakes over and over, or lack effort they won’t survive in the real world anyway. They might as well learn what a boss is like now. Hate to be harsh, but I’d say the large majority can respect a mediocre player that gives his best 100% of the time. If you can’t do that simple thing, then IMO you deserve backlash. 

Twitter isn't their boss lol

Twitter is full of 5ft nothing tools that couldn't cut it in HS or MS. Twitter is not Archie Miller, Archie Miller wants to come down hard on mistakes, I loveee it, rip their asses when he sees warranted. To say a "fan" deserves that right? Lol no chance in hell. These fans can't hold our players jock straps. It pisses me off to no end that people use social media as a criticism tool for people that can't argue back. 

"Lack of effort/learning" that's HIGHLY subjective btw. Few on Twitter have any clue. 

Whats it costing Joe smo to just shut his mouth and support the university and program? I can tell you what... he's soft and never been apart of anything worth while in his life. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The thing is, these are kids. Kids communicate with each other via social media. Taking out any connection to basketball, kids communicate about their lives. 

I have grandkids about this age and they would be lost without being able to connect with their friends via social media. God forbid if something is “trending “ and they are out of the loop.

IMO, asking teenagers to forego social media is like cutting off a leg

A division one athlete is no where near a regular teenager or student. Not even close. Especially a football or basketball player. 

Just saying.. in my household there wouldn't have been any "asking" to do something. He said jump, I said how high. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

In a perfect world Scott...if only...same world where college kids will stay 4 years to perfect their craft though...let me know when you find that alternate universe...would love to join you there lol.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Twitter isn't their boss lol

Twitter is full of 5ft nothing tools that couldn't cut it in HS or MS. Twitter is not Archie Miller, Archie Miller wants to come down hard on mistakes, I loveee it, rip their asses when he sees warranted. To say a "fan" deserves that right? Lol no chance in hell. These fans can't hold our players jock straps. It pisses me off to no end that people use social media as a criticism tool for people that can't argue back. 

"Lack of effort/learning" that's HIGHLY subjective btw. Few on Twitter have any clue. 

Whats it costing Joe smo to just shut his mouth and support the university and program? I can tell you what... he's soft and never been apart of anything worth while in his life. 

I’m sure you understand the point. College kids are adults and want to be treated like adults. They are a year or two away from the real world and having to earn their living.  They aren’t pre-teen kids playing sports just for fun. Does that mean they should be harassed and berated over results? No, I didn’t say that. I think it’s pretty easy to tell though when a kid isn’t giving effort or when a kid makes the same mistake for the 50th time that he obviously doesn’t care too much. As I said before, you can disagree all you want, but the “5 ft fans” invest a lot of time and money into something that allows these kids to do what they do, so yeah, I think they have a right when a kid on a free ride has trouble playing hard or doesn’t give a crap. Especially, when THIS fan base sticks by the team and continues to fill up Assembly Hall when they’ve been given plenty of reasons not to. Is there a mature, constructive way to criticize? Sure, but they aren’t above it. Nothing is free. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Problem is if $ is the goal for a players image...you have to use all platforms. No way to pick and choose your battles in the world the players are heading. Unless they choose zero social media and just do ads for local businesses,etc...

Gotta agree with you on this one. These kids are going to be viewed by companies as influencers...they are going to want to sign those with a big social media presence. 

I hate it but it’s the way it is. Kids are only 17-18 years old...tough world to grow up in. That said if Kylie Jenner has thick enough skin to run a successful social media campaign and ignore the hate and ignorance surely these kids can manage if they want to have that presence. That said...if I was them I’d hire a social media consultant or Maybe even have the school set them up with one. Heck even a fellow classmate to manage it for them...surely there are some business marketing kids on campus to assist. Let them do all the posting etc and never look at it.

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m sure you understand the point. College kids are adults and want to be treated like adults. They are a year or two away from the real world and having to earn their living.  They aren’t pre-teen kids playing sports just for fun. Does that mean they should be harassed and berated over results? No, I didn’t say that. I think it’s pretty easy to tell though when a kid isn’t giving effort or when a kid makes the same mistake for the 50th time that he obviously doesn’t care too much. As I said before, you can disagree all you want, but the “5 ft fans” invest a lot of time and money into something that allows these kids to do what they do, so yeah, I think they have a right when a kid on a free ride has trouble playing hard or doesn’t give a crap. Especially, when THIS fan base sticks by the team and continues to fill up Assembly Hall when they’ve been given plenty of reasons not to. Is there a mature, constructive way to criticize? Sure, but they aren’t above it. Nothing is free. 

Again.  Fan criticism is lame and soft. And no they don't have a right. Outside of Jeremy Hollowell how many kids have we had that didn't give effort? Twitter is the wild friggin west and its embarrassing. 

Mature, constructive criticism doesn't exist on Twitter. We are talking about apples and oranges here. This fan base is no different than others. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The thing is the coach is the boss and not a bunch of fat slobs behind a keyboard.

46 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

These kids put way more time and effort towards this program than any of us fans.

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Trust me, I know as well as anybody being a former D1 athlete, but they also get a free ride and many other perks along with it. 

I know that but they also put more time in the classroom and the practice field so to me that is more than us.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is the coach is the boss and not a bunch of fat slobs behind a keyboard.

Let me preface this by saying I think Twitter is where rational conversations go to die...and that is the best I can say about Twitter.

That being said, those "fat slobs" are the reason the "boss" makes the money he does and is also the reason the players are at school for free, if at school at all...the grades and family economic situation of many players would hinder their ability to go to school without the athletic scholarship.  Archie Miller and every single player on the team are a product that IU and the NCAA sell to fans.  When the players are able to monetize themselves shortly, that will become the case even moreso.  Products get judged.  I do not advocate going after anyone personally, but criticism comes with the game.  I already consider many of the players to exist in this area somewhere between amateur and semi-pro.  D1 athletics is definitely not what I would consider cut and dried "amateur" anymore.  So the question becomes, is it ok to get on a message board and complain about Boston Celtics player Romeo Langford and question whether he was a good pick?  Does the million dollar contract suddenly make that topic fair game even if he is younger than half the guys playing college ball?  And if he is fair game because he makes a bunch of money, then the only difference between he and the college players is the amount they are making off their fans.  It is just a game whether they are pros or not, so the criticism that is allowable is solely based on pay.  Something many college players are already getting (and we know this is the case because of the Adidas business, we can all speculate on how wide spread it is, but players are getting six figures in some cases to play college ball).

This is not the 1970's anymore and it is not D2 and D3 athletics.  These kids are lining up to get paid off these fat slobs.  In truth, they have been getting a payoff from these fat slobs for years because the fat slobs are what enables the free schooling in trade for putting a ball through a metal hoop.  Now they have not placed much value on that because of all of the money the NCAA and schools have made off of them, but their beef there is with their employers.  If you are an employee with a customer service job and you suck at customer service, you are going to hear about it from some of the public.  If you are someone who works for tips, you better make sure that you have your stuff together or people will let you know.

Sorry, that is where this is going.  You cannot ask to be a semi-pro on one hand and then expect that you will be treated like a high schooler on the other.  If you want to be free from criticism, you gotta avoid the big schools in D1 or go D2.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Let me preface this by saying I think Twitter is where rational conversations go to die...and that is the best I can say about Twitter.

That being said, those "fat slobs" are the reason the "boss" makes the money he does and is also the reason the players are at school for free, if at school at all...the grades and family economic situation of many players would hinder their ability to go to school without the athletic scholarship.  Archie Miller and every single player on the team are a product that IU and the NCAA sell to fans.  When the players are able to monetize themselves shortly, that will become the case even moreso.  Products get judged.  I do not advocate going after anyone personally, but criticism comes with the game.  I already consider many of the players to exist in this area somewhere between amateur and semi-pro.  D1 athletics is definitely not what I would consider cut and dried "amateur" anymore.  So the question becomes, is it ok to get on a message board and complain about Boston Celtics player Romeo Langford and question whether he was a good pick?  Does the million dollar contract suddenly make that topic fair game even if he is younger than half the guys playing college ball?  And if he is fair game because he makes a bunch of money, then the only difference between he and the college players is the amount they are making off their fans.  It is just a game whether they are pros or not, so the criticism that is allowable is solely based on pay.  Something many college players are already getting (and we know this is the case because of the Adidas business, we can all speculate on how wide spread it is, but players are getting six figures in some cases to play college ball).

This is not the 1970's anymore and it is not D2 and D3 athletics.  These kids are lining up to get paid off these fat slobs.  In truth, they have been getting a payoff from these fat slobs for years because the fat slobs are what enables the free schooling in trade for putting a ball through a metal hoop.  Now they have not placed much value on that because of all of the money the NCAA and schools have made off of them, but their beef there is with their employers.  If you are an employee with a customer service job and you suck at customer service, you are going to hear about it from some of the public.  If you are someone who works for tips, you better make sure that you have your stuff together or people will let you know.

Sorry, that is where this is going.  You cannot ask to be a semi-pro on one hand and then expect that you will be treated like a high schooler on the other.  If you want to be free from criticism, you gotta avoid the big schools in D1 or go D2.

Subjecting yourself to it is just absurd.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I doubt most fans that are going on players Twitter accounts and ripping them personally are contributing anything to the university.

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt most fans that are going on players Twitter accounts and ripping them personally are contributing anything to the university.

They absolutely are, if not directly they are indirectly.  Every fan that buys a cable package with BTN so that they can watch IU sports is contributing to the school.  Every fan that pays for ESPN so they can watch IU (among others) sports is helping contribute to IU.  Every fan that buys apparel is contributing to IU.  Now all of those people on Twitter may not be directly signing a check over that has "Indiana University" on it, but each and every one of them has probably contributed to the school in one of those other ways, otherwise, why take the time to even get on Twitter?

Also, I don't agree with tweeting at the individual players, but if someone goes on a message board or Twitter and says "so and so played like crap", I have no issue with that at all.  The NCAA and all of those players inch ever closer to being full grown pros almost every year.  You can bet when this whole monetization thing comes into play that people are going to weigh a market like IU and its fanbase.  People in Fort Wayne are going to be willing to pay Romeo Langford to come and do a car commercial for them.  Small businesses all over southern Indiana will be happy to pay Leal to come and smile for the camera for a few hundred here or a few thousand there.  Why?  Because unlike a New York or an L.A., the college kids in places like Indiana and Kentucky are still superstars.

And you guys may not want those fans, but a player looking to monetize himself is going to want every fan he can get because each of those fans is potentially money.

I also noticed that no one wanted to touch the whole Romeo Langford as a 19 year old college student versus Langford as a 19 year old pro....

Archived