Joey Brunk is this summer's "Workout Warrior"

6 hours ago, rbkl said:

What do you guys think about this one...

Does this say more about Joey who was one of the latest to join the team?

Or does it reflect more about the rest of the team who have been at IU for longer?

Or is it a dig at butler’s strength and power team?

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

He looks like he could be the starting center on a FF bound Virginia or Gonzaga team.  I think we got a good one.

I'm struggling to reconcile your persona with this unbridled optimism.

...but yes, I think Brunk has the potential to be a genuine steal.  I think Lavall Jordan absolutely mismanaged him at Butler.

5 hours ago, cybergates said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Also, Olynyk has made a decent career in the NBA, why not Brunk?

Olynyk was nearly as good as Zeller in college; I love the Brunk pickup but I don't think that's a fair comparison at this point. 

19 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm struggling to reconcile your persona with this unbridled optimism.

...but yes, I think Brunk has the potential to be a genuine steal.  I think Lavall Jordan absolutely mismanaged him at Butler.

Nah, DBM is rational enough to allow some optimism through occasionally.

Now, if Dong starts making positive statements, he's either delirious with a life threatening fever or he's been doing shrooms.

22 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Or is it a dig at butler’s strength and power team?

Yeah, don't see why they would take a dig there. I just think it is a kid realizing he has another chance and is taking advantage of a great strength staff and the situtation. A fresh start with coaches who show faith in your abilities goes a long way into turning some around and unlocking potential. This may be the case with Brunk where there was talk of the him being a little slow and weak in the post while at Butler. I can definitely see a situation where we are greatly surprised by our play down low with DeRon and Joey (oh shoot, forgot about TJD). You know, every year some team flies in under the radar and things click for them. This could be one of those teams. Pieces are there but things need to go our way. JH being healthy and playing like we thought, Green turning the corner and playing the senior leader role and within himself. The typical Fr to So jump with Rob. Steady improvements with Al. Better deep shooting. Strong play in the post. We know DeRon has the ability (Duke). It all needs to come together and this team needs to play for each other. I'm going into this season believing that it can happen instead of thinking negative the next 3 mos. Join me!

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Olynyk was nearly as good as Zeller in college; I love the Brunk pickup but I don't think that's a fair comparison at this point. 

Yes, for his 3rd year, but his first two seasons were unremarkable:

image.png.ba3449866214f3e09810c947ad4fe8c2.png

and not much different than Brunk's:

image.png.f243dbf5548ba07e7553e187f3254558.png

Also how does Brunk have two years of eligibity left after seeing this?

I know it is still unlikely he ends up as good as Olynyk and/or a 1st rd NBA pick, I just said why not? b/c it is a possibility.

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Yes, for his 3rd year, but his first two seasons were unremarkable:

image.png.ba3449866214f3e09810c947ad4fe8c2.png

and not much different than Brunk's:

image.png.f243dbf5548ba07e7553e187f3254558.png

Also how does Brunk have two years of eligibity left after seeing this?

I think he got a hardship for the first year because of the passing of his father.

17 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

Yeah, don't see why they would take a dig there. I just think it is a kid realizing he has another chance and is taking advantage of a great strength staff and the situtation. A fresh start with coaches who show faith in your abilities goes a long way into turning some around and unlocking potential. This may be the case with Brunk where there was talk of the him being a little slow and weak in the post while at Butler. I can definitely see a situation where we are greatly surprised by our play down low with DeRon and Joey (oh shoot, forgot about TJD). You know, every year some team flies in under the radar and things click for them. This could be one of those teams. Pieces are there but things need to go our way. JH being healthy and playing like we thought, Green turning the corner and playing the senior leader role and within himself. The typical Fr to So jump with Rob. Steady improvements with Al. Better deep shooting. Strong play in the post. We know DeRon has the ability (Duke). It all needs to come together and this team needs to play for each other. I'm going into this season believing that it can happen instead of thinking negative the next 3 mos. Join me!

If a male athlete all of the sudden takes BIG strides later in his college career I can only think of three reasons why...

1.) His body had an uncharacteristic growth spurt.

2.) He never bought into the previous program under his previous strength coaches.

3.) the previous strength coaches didn’t fulfill expectations.

cant think of any other possibilities I’ve ever heard of before. Thoughts? Your post implies it’s mostly 2.

29 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If a male athlete all of the sudden takes BIG strides later in his college career I can only think of three reasons why...

2.) He never bought into the previous program under his previous strength coaches.

cant think of any other possibilities I’ve ever heard of before. Thoughts? Your post implies it’s mostly 2.

Nothing that I've heard. But our conditioning program had always been top notch. Our coaches seem to get the best from the players plus, I have heard from some Butler alum that Jordan and Brunk didn't mesh well.

4 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

PEDs? :coffee:

On 7/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, BADGERVOL said:

You're talking about young men between the ages of 19-ish to 22-ish. There's a lot of growing up between the ears at those ages. Sometimes, a kid just grows up and starts getting it. Not saying he was a bad kid before, but the way he looks at the world can change. Takes practice just a little more seriously. Maybe takes classes a little more seriously. Maybe he passes on that beer on a Tuesday night.

As we all get older, it's easy to forget how much you change during those years. I still remember the picture someone posted of Romeo and JMo on senior night. I couldn't help but notice how young Romeo looked. Well, that's because he is. Hell, by comparison, so is Morgan, but that just reinforces my point. Theres not much difference between 18 and 23, but at the same time, there's a world of difference.

Archived