Joey Brunk is this summer's "Workout Warrior"

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

You're talking about young men between the ages of 19-ish to 22-ish. There's a lot of growing up between the ears at those ages. Sometimes, a kid just grows up and starts getting it. Not saying he was a bad kid before, but the way he looks at the world can change. Takes practice just a little more seriously. Maybe takes classes a little more seriously. Maybe he passes on that beer on a Tuesday night.

As we all get older, it's easy to forget how much you change during those years. I still remember the picture someone posted of Romeo and JMo on senior night. I couldn't help but notice how young Romeo looked. Well, that's because he is. Hell, by comparison, so is Morgan, but that just reinforces my point. Theres not much difference between 18 and 23, but at the same time, there's a world of difference.

I can support all of that except passing on the Tuesday beer. Some things are sacred, after all.

Image result for picture of Barney from Simpsons drinking be

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

You're talking about young men between the ages of 19-ish to 22-ish. There's a lot of growing up between the ears at those ages. Sometimes, a kid just grows up and starts getting it. Not saying he was a bad kid before, but the way he looks at the world can change. Takes practice just a little more seriously. Maybe takes classes a little more seriously. Maybe he passes on that beer on a Tuesday night.

As we all get older, it's easy to forget how much you change during those years. I still remember the picture someone posted of Romeo and JMo on senior night. I couldn't help but notice how young Romeo looked. Well, that's because he is. Hell, by comparison, so is Morgan, but that just reinforces my point. Theres not much difference between 18 and 23, but at the same time, there's a world of difference.

That’s why #2 existed in my list of three. That doesn’t mean he’s a horrible human being or was trash. I hate when everyone makes everything so extreme. He simply didn’t buy into the program. The program is science. Period. Maybe he wasn’t committed enough or mature enough. Maybe he didn’t work hard earlier on. Maybe everyone around him was lazy so he thought he was working hard. Idk. But 2 is meant to entail everything mental on the athletes part. 

The point is IF this late in his career AFTER having paid professional strength and conditioning coaches, an athlete takes a huge step forward I can’t think of a reason to explain that besides it was one of a variation of the three things that I stated above. If anyone can think of another reason I’d love to hear.

My guess is he might have had a late growth spurt OR he’s working harder and is more committed than he has been in the past. In which case good for him. If it isn’t one of those two things at all, then shame on the Butler Power Coaches.

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

That’s why #2 existed in my list of three. That doesn’t mean he’s a horrible human being or was trash. I hate when everyone makes everything so extreme. He simply didn’t buy into the program. The program is science. Period. Maybe he wasn’t committed enough or mature enough. Maybe he didn’t work hard earlier on. Maybe everyone around him was lazy so he thought he was working hard. Idk. But 2 is meant to entail everything mental on the athletes part. 

The point is IF this late in his career AFTER having paid professional strength and conditioning coaches, an athlete takes a huge step forward I can’t think of a reason to explain that besides it was one of a variation of the three things that I stated above. If anyone can think of another reason I’d love to hear.

My guess is he might have had a late growth spurt OR he’s working harder and is more committed than he has been in the past. In which case good for him. If it isn’t one of those two things at all, then shame on the Butler Power Coaches.

Wasnt trying to make things extreme or imply that you meant any of the above.

In fact, we're both thinking along the same lines. The only difference that I see is that I see a line between simply "not buying in" and the mental maturity issue. People of any age and maturity level may not buy into an idea/program. The reasons are various, and some may be legitimate. But it's isolated to that incident. The only point I was trying to make is that the underlying issue may just be the player's personal maturity, not just not buying in to a training program.

I know nothing on his situation but it might just be a guy with a chip on his shoulders wanting to prove a point. His limited opportunity at Butler combined with an opportunity to play at IU might just have been enough. I expect a lot of good things from this young. Also had a lot on his plate with family stuff and a new start can do wonders.

On 7/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, BADGERVOL said:

If a male athlete all of the sudden takes BIG strides later in his college career I can only think of three reasons why...

1.) His body had an uncharacteristic growth spurt.

2.) He never bought into the previous program under his previous strength coaches.

3.) the previous strength coaches didn’t fulfill expectations.

cant think of any other possibilities I’ve ever heard of before. Thoughts? Your post implies it’s mostly 2.

Badger this is a great breakdown. I have a lot of experience in the "strength" and "bodybuilding" world as it relates to coaches and personal development. 2 & 3 are usually dead on and A LOT of the time it's #2. However, in this case I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being some type of mixture of #2 & #3. Obviously pro & amateur bodybuilding is vastly different than NCAA basketball, but I think the mindsets are probably similar if in regards to physical development. I've seen a lot of time guys with experience get a new coach and that coach has oddball ideas that doesn't really fulfill the normal expectation and thus the bodybuilder/powerlifter doesn't really buy into the program. Is that 3 because the coach didn't fulfill expectations? Is it 2 because the player didn't buy in? I always sort of look at it as a combination.

I've always found Brunk to be an interesting guy. I think he should have been at Indiana from the very start. I don't know much about the recruitment or why he chose Butler over Indiana or if Indiana never offered, but I've always felt that Brunk was an IU guy when he was in high school. How he wound up at Butler is somewhat odd, but maybe I just don't know the details. One things is for sure, he certainly looks like he's home now!!!

3 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

Badger this is a great breakdown. I have a lot of experience in the "strength" and "bodybuilding" world as it relates to coaches and personal development. 2 & 3 are usually dead on and A LOT of the time it's #2. However, in this case I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being some type of mixture of #2 & #3. Obviously pro & amateur bodybuilding is vastly different than NCAA basketball, but I think the mindsets are probably similar if in regards to physical development. I've seen a lot of time guys with experience get a new coach and that coach has oddball ideas that doesn't really fulfill the normal expectation and thus the bodybuilder/powerlifter doesn't really buy into the program. Is that 3 because the coach didn't fulfill expectations? Is it 2 because the player didn't buy in? I always sort of look at it as a combination.

I've always found Brunk to be an interesting guy. I think he should have been at Indiana from the very start. I don't know much about the recruitment or why he chose Butler over Indiana or if Indiana never offered, but I've always felt that Brunk was an IU guy when he was in high school. How he wound up at Butler is somewhat odd, but maybe I just don't know the details. One things is for sure, he certainly looks like he's home now!!!

Love the feedback. My three options are still vague but yes, I agree with you. My point was IF he was working fairly hard and consistently at butler (and based on his reputation I’d guess that more than being lazy) then a chunk of this has to fall on the previous strength/power staff because very rarely do guys this old go through a big growth spurt. 

If I was the Butler head coach I’d be looking at my strength power coach for an explanation as to why Brunk is making a leap this late in his career. Maybe there is one, but I’d be asking for it. Because if there isn’t a good reason to justify it then the basketball coach has to ask what else is not happening with my current players.

now all of this is also under the assumption that you’d want your post players beefed up a decent amount and idk why that wouldn’t be the case with brunk. It’s not like someone might actually think “this guy’s high end potential is as a hybrid stretch 4 or tall 3...” highly doubting that.

All in all, it makes me feel good he's working hard and hopefully earning respect from other players. Now the question is 'does he have the personality to be a leader as well?' 

Someone has to emerge out of the pack. I think over the last several years, we constantly talked about leadership issue. It's about time to put it to rest. 

20 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

All in all, it makes me feel good he's working hard and hopefully earning respect from other players. Now the question is 'does he have the personality to be a leader as well?' 

Someone has to emerge out of the pack. I think over the last several years, we constantly talked about leadership issue. It's about time to put it to rest. 

From what little we know of him I think he’d make a GREAT leader on this team :)

18 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

From what little we know of him I think he’d make a GREAT leader on this team :)

Really hope so. I can see TJD would become a good leader in the future, but for the next season, it's too much to ask to a true freshman. Rob Phinisee was a freshman, so I'm not sure what he'd be as a sophomore. None of the other returning players have shown the quality so I can't expect much from them. 

For a long time, I thought this 'leading by example' thing would work, but the more I observe IU basketball and I experience things in my personal life, a leader must be vocal and a good communicator in all situations. 

Archived