Wisconsin - Indiana post game thread.

Two interceptions and penalties at critical times of the game in the second half as well.

I was pleased with the turnout for the game.  Many on the student section staying for the second half as well, was good to see. Knowing we were going in as underdogs.  And ABC did a great job giving us views with the overhead camera, we don't normally see. The SEZ project is coming along very nicely.  Gives the impression of truly great B1G venue.  Can't wait till it is finished for games.

And one other thing.  And it could be BTN coverage vs ABC.  Or that the band is playing more.  I thought the Band did a good job of playing during the game. 

Decades of watching IUFB.... hard to come up with a lot of good to say..... but I am trying to say some good things.  LOL

39 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Depth, experience, talent, coaching, and big ten officiating

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

I was away for the second and third qtrs.  What happened? There has to be better answers than depth and experience.

It was an ugly second half. Penalties at the wrong time, coaches who help the refs, and turnovers at the worst time. The second int was a death nail and hit the receiver in both hands on a full run. But there is a bigger overall concern in that we don’t appear to be able to make half time adjustments. We did not even pretend to try and run in the second half. If you line up in an empty backfield every time against one of the top teams in the nation you will eventually get a bad break.

All IUFB fans are frustrated.  The level of competition we've had to play has been outstanding and the front half to the BIG for us could not be more difficult even if we were OSU or PSU.   At our level of play we simply can't afford ANY TO's or bonehead penalties.  The OL especially has underperformed all year.  Factor in injuries and no one would pick us to even be competitive much less win these games.  The only game we've lost that should not have happened is Maryland.  I'm completely frustrated with how this FB season has turned to date but I understand why.  Unfortunately, I simply cannot see us running the table from here.  So here's hoping another year of maturation, coaching, and recruiting can help us next year.  Sadly, this year just simply wasn't meant to be the breakthru we had all wished for.  I'm still proud that the players haven't just packed it in and I know those young men feel worse than we do.  Hopefully, they can use this year as motivation for next year.  I fear with the Senior losses on D this year I think next year will be even more dissatisfying.  We need to be patient and let CTA rebuild this team over the next 3-5yr.  He needs time to mold this team the way he wants them to play.  I'm hopeful for a breakthru at that point.  Either way I'll still support them just like I have the last 40yr!

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Worst replay overturn you will ever, ever see completely shifted the momentum of the game. 

Worst call I've ever seen in my life.  Big Ten on field officiating is rigged, and they don't even try to hide it on reviews.  They've made that obvious over and over.

If there is a team who is in contention for the CFP, don't even bother.  You're going to get screwed on calls, and you don't stand a chance on any replay.  They're a joke.

I hardly watched after that.  I was too pissed and knew after that call we didn't stand a chance.

23 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I keep seeing that we need to wait and let Tom Allen "rebuild" this team. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR BEST TEAM IN YEARS. 8 WINS. Next year is undoubtedly going to be a worse team. If Tom Allen can't get this team to a bowl, personally I'm skeptical he'll ever get any IU team to a bowl game.

How would you have thought this was our best team for years.  I predicted we would finish 5-7 mainly because we were inexperience on the OL and had no experience RB"s

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Worst replay overturn you will ever, ever see completely shifted the momentum of the game. 

I wasn't able to watch the whole game and just now checking in. I did see the "fumble". Even if it was a fumble, the play was blown dead before WI recovered so how how could they end up with possession?

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Can't speak for you. But the general consensus around this team was that 8-4 was definitely possible.

Playing top 20 teams OSU,  PSU, MI, MSU, and WI is 5 likely losses. I was hopeful we could break through against at least one of them.

The canceled game and loss on the road to MD are what hurt us. I do think we can win out from here.

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I wasn't able to watch the whole game and just now checking in. I did see the "fumble". Even if it was a fumble, the play was blown dead before WI recovered so how how could they end up with possession?

They didn't explain it because there is no justification. McElroy said he thought it was a good call, but neither announcer, in my recollection, brought up the fact that there wasn't a clear and immediate recovery. 

Wisconsin DID come out of the pile with it, but when the whistle blew it was plain as day no one had it and an IU player was right there. It was an attrocious call. 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Playing top 20 teams OSU,  PSU, MI, MSU, and WI is 5 likely losses. I was hopeful we could break through against at least one of them.

The canceled game and loss on the road to MD are what hurt us. I do think we can win out from here.

Agree.  Being in the East division, with the stacked teams in that division was probable at best.  On the other hand, to be one of the best.... gonna have to be one of the best.  And I am encouraged by what I have seen this season.  Sure we lost to some of the best the B1G has to offer.  But in most cases we have been competitive in those games. Other years... we would have gotten beaten to a pulp. Or in other words, we would never have been even competitive.

The Maryland game is the one that sticks in my craw the most.  That was a win... we should have gotten. 

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Cancelled game didn't hurt at all. A scheduled win was replaced with a scheduled win.

We didn't host College Gameday, with the rowdiest crowd in Memorial Stadium history, because we were supposed to have a losing season.

This was the only game I made it to this season.

A few plays were the difference in this game; mainly the late interceptions and continually getting called for holding in the 4th quarter.

IU is every bit as good as we thought they were at the beginning of the season with the exception that the offense  has obvious issues; the Big Ten East is stacked with several teams that are CFP caliber good, and I'd put big money that if you put any team from the East in the West, they'd have a winning record and be bowl eligible, Rutgers included.  The West is incredibly weak, and the East is much better than I thought it was at the beginning of the year (and I thought it was the toughest division then, too).

The fumble was "literally" (and I use that word with absolute clarity here) the worst call by any official I've had the displeasure to witness.  From what I could tell with the minimal replay showed at the stadium, it was far from conclusive that it was a fumble to begin with (feel free to correct me if it was more clear on TV), but that's not what was bad about this.  The referee whistled the play dead, and several players on both teams quite clearly stopped playing and quit vying for the ball, which was not in anyone's hands at that moment.  They CANNOT go give it to Wisconsin when it was whistled dead before they recovered it.  Again, literally the worst call I've ever witnessed, and it showed clear and unmitigated favor for Wisconsin.  And THEN they have to gall to tack on a fifteen yard penalty when Allen has the temerity to call them to the carpet on their ILLEGAL reversal of possession.

IU has always gotten the short end of the stick with officiating, but it's been particularly bad this year.  I now feel convinced that unless IU can manage to beat an OSU, PSU, Wisc, etc. by two touchdowns or more, the refs are going to actively work to ensure the CFP capable team remains CFP eligible, and it's going to be virtually impossible for IU to win a close game against one of those teams.  I'm sure it's the same for Rutgers and Maryland, too.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I think I predicted 7 wins, but that was before I knew our OL sucked so much.  I'm still not convinced we can't win our last 3 games and still make a bowl.  Until we lose one of those 3 games, I'm still optimistic.

I will stand with you on this, they are more than capable of winning out. Injuries are going to play a major role, more than coaching at this point. But I still think we win out. We had Wisconsin on the ropes, we just needed a break. Good teams make their own breaks but once in a while you need a break to believe you are a good team and start playing that way.

1 hour ago, Payday said:

I will stand with you on this, they are more than capable of winning out. Injuries are going to play a major role, more than coaching at this point. But I still think we win out. We had Wisconsin on the ropes, we just needed a break. Good teams make their own breaks but once in a while you need a break to believe you are a good team and start playing that way.

I like the way our next 3 games line up.  We badly need a confidence booster, and Illinois is the worst team we have left (they already lost to Rutgers and Purdue).

I would guess the team is a little beat down after how the last month has gone.  They should see Illinois as an opportunity to get a much needed win, and I really think we're going to come out on fire, and we'll see our swagger start to return.  If we can get our confidence back like we had early in the season, we can still be a very dangerous team.

As is the rule, it seems, we hung with UW until mid-3rd quarter, and then fell apart.

Observations--

- We ran the ball well early in the game, especially on the right side and then quit doing so. Make the opponent adjust. If they take away what we were being successful with, they expose themselves somewhere else. It's a chess match and it seems as though we played our best move right away and then gave up on the running game.

- Had in hand with the above, where was Ellinson after the fumble? I get sitting him for a bit to reinforce that turnovers aren't acceptable, but I don't recall him back in the game at all while the outcome was in doubt.

- Hand in hand with point one. I do think that Lagow's arm gives us something that Ramsey doesn't possess yet. However, I also believe that DeBord gets overly dependent on the passing game when Richard is in there. We become one dimensional, defenses figure it out, and we end up turning the ball over too often. Too much, for sure, for the defense to overcome.

- The overrule on the fumble was egregious, but the no-call on the punt return was a gift to us, in my mind. Replays clearly showed that the IU blocker pushed the defender from the back into Timian. I know it looked bad for Timian's sake, but we really could have been penalized for a block in the back.

- I think that Allen has brought a level of excitement and intensity to a football program that has been historically moribund. However, I am already sick of his inability to control his own emotions on the sidelines. He's the adult here? Not a good visual as the face of the program and it's costing the team. If he finds it impossible to reign himself in, maybe he needs to coach from the press box.

I do think that this team can win the last 3 games, but the margin for error is non-existent. If Ramsey is healthy, I think he has earned the right to start these games, for among other reasons, we tend to protect the ball better. If Lagow starts, I think that we can win as well, but the offense cannot slip back into an over reliance on his arm

I'm sorry but they need to re-balance these damn divisions. Not a new thought on my part, been thinking that since they did the split.

Regarding the Wisconsin game, I didn't even bother watching. Maybe that makes me a bad fan but I just pretty much know how these games go - we compete for a while, then make critical mistakes an fall apart.

Good point by the poster above about not becoming too predictable with Lagow in there. Still need to mix in some runs.

On Saturday, November 04, 2017 at 6:46 PM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I keep seeing that we need to wait and let Tom Allen "rebuild" this team. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR BEST TEAM IN YEARS. 8 WINS. Next year is undoubtedly going to be a worse team. If Tom Allen can't get this team to a bowl, personally I'm skeptical he'll ever get any IU team to a bowl game.

Every year we have fans thinking we can win 8 games. 8 wins is always the Kool-Aid flavor of choice. We had people predicting 8 wins in Wilson's first season and our only win that year was against a bad FCS team.

I expected 5-7 because we have a young offensive line, iffy quarterback play, no stud RB's, a kicker that isn't the most reliable and a defense that while solid, doesn't force many turnovers.

Archived