Time to scrap the spread and uptempo offense

IU Scott

If IU is ever to win consistently in the big ten they need to build their team like UW and Iowa. You build your team around big offensive lineman and a great running game. You have QB who is efficient and can limit mistakes. On defense you build with great front seven who can stop the run.

To me unless you have great talent our type of offense just does not work. I think the reason we can compete for awhile but not for the whole game is that our offense just is not on the field long enough. You can compete for awhile but your defense will get worn down late in the game. You need to be like UW and Iowa where you have a ball control offense where it allows your defense to get rest between possessions.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If IU is ever to win consistently in the big ten they need to build their team like UW and Iowa. You build your team around big offensive lineman and a great running game. You have QB who is efficient and can limit mistakes. On defense you build with great front seven who can stop the run.

To me unless you have great talent our type of offense just does not work. I think the reason we can compete for awhile but not for the whole game is that our offense just is not on the field long enough. You can compete for awhile but your defense will get worn down late in the game. You need to be like UW and Iowa where you have a ball control offense where it allows your defense to get rest between possessions.

One of the few times I will agree completely. I hate the uptempo bs. Slow it down, make better coaching decisions, get a better feel on the field for the players, put the qb in a huddle and let there be communication, and get him under center for god sake and run some play action. Standing a 6’6” guy eight yards deep with no back and a beat up line is moronic. This is not high school football, the opponents actually have talent, you may need to coach. This up tempo fast break football only works if you have the most talent on the field and you have the depth. We smacked them in the mouth the first half and didn’t make a single adjustment. And who the hell goes for it with five minutes left? Was the punter unavailable? QB threw a pick, second one is on the receiver since it hit both hands, but Ramsey will take over again and finish out the next three games and in this offense with these coaches I think it would take a minor miracle to win three in a row.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

AND WHY THE HELL ARE WE NOT TRYING TO RUN THE BALL!!!!!!! Keep them semi honest!

It gets a little maddening.  We have a bit of success with the run or varying passes and we turn away from it and go back to the dink and dunk.  

Think we need the spread because we will not be able to get the linemen needed to block for a run heavy offense against the better big ten teams

Archived