John Dillinger exumed ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to school and played baseball with Jeff Scalf, Dillinger's great nephew who has defended his name, while turning the name into an LLC to profit from it. As you can see in the cited article, he was a lawyer, but lost his license due to his own trouble with the law. He's also cited in the article Mile hyperlinked.

I'd say it wont be too long before we hear from him.

4 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I've always been oddly proud of Dillinger. Fellow Hoosier and all. I just hope when they dig him up they don't piss him off. It could turn messy.

Oddly, my Grandpa had nothing but respect for John.  Something about Dillinger destroying notes that the banks had on farms?

8 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

America was at it's lowest and Dillinger was Robin Hood. I grew up hearing the same sort of thing.

Not Dillinger, but Grandpa used to tell an interesting story.  Apparently a lot of the "gangsters" used to hang out at Barbee(10 minutes from me).  Gramps and his buddies were at a watering hole in Pierceton when two well dressed men walked in.  For the rest of the day the two gents paid for drinks for everyone.  The two guys?  Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson.  Now I don't know if the story is true, but Grandpa said it was.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Oddly, my Grandpa had nothing but respect for John.  Something about Dillinger destroying notes that the banks had on farms?

Same as with my mother. She never had a bad word to say about Dillinger.  And thought he was handsome.

His escape from the Crown Point jail was a tale of lore in NWI. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not Dillinger, but Grandpa used to tell an interesting story.  Apparently a lot of the "gangsters" used to hang out at Barbee(10 minutes from me).  Gramps and his buddies were at a watering hole in Pierceton when two well dressed men walked in.  For the rest of the day the two gents paid for drinks for everyone.  The two guys?  Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson.  Now I don't know if the story is true, but Grandpa said it was.

I am inclined to believe Grandpa. In that it has been well documented that Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson assisted Dillinger in the bank robbery in East Chicago.

Also less known Bonnie and Clyde robbed a bank in Lucerne, Indiana. 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There may be others but he is the only criminal that I have heard of that robbed Police Stations. I believe he robbed 2 police departments of their weapons near the Fort Wayne area. Maybe Auburn??IIRC the other was in Peru. 

I think it was more than two, but you are correct in Peru and Auburn.  I particularly remember the one in Auburn as he took bullet proof vests as well.

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

His gang killed at least 10 people and you guys are giving him respect?  

I guess we should overlook Jeffery Dahmer as well.  It's likely he was just hungry.

I must have missed the respect comments.  I find his story interesting and impressive,  but dont consider that to be giving him respect or condoning his actions. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I guess we should overlook Jeffery Dahmer as well.  It's likely he was just hungry.

If my Grandpa respected him, then that is good enough for me to respect him as well.  

Not a question of respect. But rather a product of the times. I don't know of anyone saying respect. Just quoting facts. Both personal. And history.  Consider the times.   Depression era.  Yes. Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich. And giving back to the poor. A cult hero at the time. Not saying he was good. Nor do I believe the people of the time felt that he was good.  Considering the hardships Americans were going through at the time. Dillinger was one who defied the issues of the times.  And was someone they looked at to help them out. Despite how he did it. And he did it in Indiana.  

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The reward I believe was for more money than he had stolen in all his robberies combined.  

A greedy "girlfriend" did him in

IIRC, driving a stolen car across a state line got the Feds involved.  That put J. Edgar Hoover on his trail.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I kind of understand both sides. But I definitely side with you. The laws were not written to protect questionable banking! Nor were they written to unmercifully destroy the debtors. Playing Robin Hood to the locals, without costing "you" anything; while killing people is not nor will ever be Nobel!!  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I said "Oddly Proud". I don't understand why I feel that way and It is sort of weird and I should know better, but he got out of jail using a gun made of wood coated with shoe polish.

A wooden gun coated with shoe polish. Sheesh.

17 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I said "Oddly Proud". I don't understand why I feel that way and It is sort of weird and I should know better, but he got out of jail using a gun made of wood coated with shoe polish.

A wooden gun coated with shoe polish. Sheesh.

Some said it was a bar of soap. That he put shoe polish on. Wood or shoe polish.  An Indiana legend that will live on forever.

John Dillinger's Escape from Crown Point, Indiana 1934 Newsreel Footage 

Killing of any human being is NOT ok.  However, once again. One has to consider the times. Hundreds, if not thousands in bread lines. And someone comes to rescue them. Regardless of the methods. Defying what the system has set for them.  No wonder, many considered him in a different light. Would it have been considered the same. Today ?  Obviously not. However, under what was going on at the time...a totally different circumstance. Considering what was going on at our great country at that time.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Killing of any human being is NOT ok.  However, once again. One has to consider the times. Hundreds, if not thousands in bread lines. And someone comes to rescue them. Regardless of the methods. Defying what the system has set for them.  No wonder, many considered him in a different light. Would it have been considered the same. Today ?  Obviously not. However, under what was going on at the time...a totally different circumstance. Considering what was going on at our great country at that time.

I am one of the BIGGEST proponents, of viewing the rewriting of history to fit the current times is one of the greatest evils there ever could be!!! The IDEA that a murderer could take advantage of the down trodden to make themselves a hero, is APPAULING to me!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I am one of the BIGGEST proponents, of viewing the rewriting of history to fit the current times is one of the greatest evils there ever could be!!! The IDEA that a murderer could take advantage of the down trodden to make themselves a hero, is APPAULING to me!

I understand. Your perspective here. At this time and now.  However, I would  ask to project yourself BACK.  To what the  people that were suffering at that time were thinking. No, I am not saying it was right. Just that the people that were suffering during the depression were thinking.  And what they viewed as a way out of what they were going through at the time.

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

C'mon mile! My Grandparents who had lucrative pipe fitting business in the Gary area, lost almost everything they had! Murder, is not acceptable!!

People blamed the banks...thus bank robbing was tolerated.  Simple as that.

Archived