John Dillinger exumed ?

15 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

Attempted Murder? With a 10 gauge? He was a bad shot. 

I joke Rico.

He must have had some pretty fine shot and/or not been very close to his target.  Aside from military grade weapons, the 12 gauge is statistically the deadliest firearm available to the general public.  The only reason the 10-gauge isn't considered more deadly is due to the tiny sample size. 10 gauge shotguns are relatively uncommon today, although back in the day, they even had a shoulder-dislocating 8 gauge.

...but yeah...I was surprised to hear it was only attempted murder when a 10 gauge was mentioned.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He must have had some pretty fine shot and/or not been very close to his target.  Aside from military grade weapons, the 12 gauge is statistically the deadliest firearm available to the general public.  The only reason the 10-gauge isn't considered more deadly is due to the tiny sample size. 10 gauge shotguns are relatively uncommon today, although back in the day, they even had a shoulder-dislocating 8 gauge.

...but yeah...I was surprised to hear it was only attempted murder when a 10 gauge was mentioned.

Hmmmm, I got a 5 gauge.  But let's get back to Dillinger.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Times change a lot and different times call for different acceptable norms of behavior.  During the revolutionary war, the British were shocked that rebel colonials would shoot at their officers, and would hide behind trees rather than standing in a straight line across the field from them taking turns firing volleys.

And guerilla warfare was invented...

2 hours ago, rico said:

Hmmmm, I got a 5 gauge.  But let's get back to Dillinger.

Now you got me curious because an 8 gauge is like shoulder-firing a howitzer. I've never heard of a 5-gauge and I've seen a bunch of guns. What on earth you have, Rico? Dillinger can wait...I wanna hear about this 5 gauge.

7 hours ago, Cutter said:

I always loved going to the Dillinger museum in Nashville Indiana. They had almost everything or photographs of items everyone talks about in relationship to Dillinger. Was one of my favorite places to visit when I was younger 

Likewise.  However, I was a student at IU, when I went to the museum in Nashville. From there, the museum was moved to Crown Point.  And subsequently to it's present resting place in Hammond. 

9 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

Not all bad. Indiana did produce Larry Bird, James Dean, Lee Hamilton, Richard Luger and Calbert Cheaney. And Mile.

Thank you. Not that I belong in the same category as the others.  But I do thank you.

Jane Pauley was born in Indianapolis.  Graduated from Warren Central.  Later from Indiana University.  Spent 13 years as co-host of the Today show.  And is still seeing spot action on the network.  Just to add another name to your list. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Now you got me curious because an 8 gauge is like shoulder-firing a howitzer. I've never heard of a 5-gauge and I've seen a bunch of guns. What on earth you have, Rico? Dillinger can wait...I wanna hear about this 5 gauge.

I had a great-uncle that never was married.  He supposedly went on African Safaris after WWII.  But I got his shotgun.  Don't know where he got it or even how.  Once again, Grandpa told me it was a 5 gauge.  I surmise it was a custom made firearm, but I haven't done any research on it and all those old-timers in my family have long since passed away.  I just keep it tucked away under lock and key.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I had a great-uncle that never was married.  He supposedly went on African Safaris after WWII.  But I got his shotgun.  Don't know where he got it or even how.  Once again, Grandpa told me it was a 5 gauge.  I surmise it was a custom made firearm, but I haven't done any research on it and all those old-timers in my family have long since passed away.  I just keep it tucked away under lock and key.

Well I googled them and they do exist.  I'd heard of a 4 gauge but never a 5.  I know what an 8 gauge feels like...holy cow...you need to put wheels on that thing, Rico.

To the best of my knowledge, the 10-gauge is the biggest modern production shotgun.  Wise to hang onto that one, Rico.

...but good luck finding new ammo for it.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

All of my college roommates for 2 years at IU were from Martinsville. 2 of which played on that 1990-91 basketball team. 

Cool...I was in the USAF by then, and although I love the place, I've only been back a handful of times since the early 80s. Still have a lot of friends there that I keep in touch with though.

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you. Not that I belong in the same category as the others.  But I do thank you.

Jane Pauley was born in Indianapolis.  Graduated from Warren Central.  Later from Indiana University.  Spent 13 years as co-host of the Today show.  And is still seeing spot action on the network.  Just to add another name to your list. 

Leaving Jane Pauley off my list was bad, I've always been a fan of hers. I enjoy watching her on 'CBS Sunday Morning'. I was going to include Cole Porter but I thought it would date me too much. People would think "Who in the world is Cole Porter or Ernie Pyle or Gus Grissom!!"  Lol.

35 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Leaving Jane Pauley off my list was bad, I've always been a fan of hers. I enjoy watching her on 'CBS Sunday Morning'. I was going to include Cole Porter but I thought it would date me too much. People would think "Who in the world is Cole Porter or Ernie Pyle or Gus Grissom!!"  Lol.

Mention of Gus Grissom.  Reminded me of Frank Borman.  Born and raised in Gary, Indiana.  Flew in space, in a Gemini  capsule, next to Gus Grissom.  Frank is the oldest living original astronaut.  And has the interstate highway going from Gary, into Illinois, on the way to Chicago named after him.  The Frank Borman highway. After one of his space flights.   Gary,  had a parade running the entire city, in honor of Frank. I remember going to it to this day.

1 hour ago, Officer Obie said:

Since I was young when my family would drive north from our home town through Michell I always heard about Gus Grissom. When I got older I read about him. That's all.

When I think of Gus Grissom and the other astronauts who died that day I cry a bit., I really do. I pick my words carefully.

38 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Since I was young when my family would drive north from our home town through Michell I always heard about Gus Grissom. When I got older I read about him. That's all.

When I think of Gus Grissom and the other astronauts who died that day I cry a bit., I really do. I pick my words carefully.

I'm an idiot. When I said "That's all" I had tears in my eyes. I just meant that I didn't want to go on.

Gus Grissom was a true American hero. Make no mistake.

Archived