Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

LMAO, he said that Kaufman and Duncomb won't play together? I almost made a joke right after I saw this commitment that about how they wouldn't play together. It seems every player IU lands or is recruiting Kaufman won't play with. He wouldn't play with Furst until Purdue landed Furst then it wasn't an issue. He was fine playing with Lander until Lander committed to IU and suddenly they won't play together. Now Duncomb, ignoring that they play together in AAU with no problem.

For what it's worth (not much), 2 Duke analysts predict Kaufman to IU now.

I'll trust the 2-3 posters on this site that actually have a track record of being right far more often than not. Everything says Kaufman to IU. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll trust the 2-3 posters on this site that actually have a track record of being right far more often than not. Everything says Kaufman to IU. 

This excites me...if we do land Kaufman...Lander, Leal, Galloway, Duncomb, and Kaufman would have al played together with the Indiana Elite AAU basketball team...you’d think chemistry would be there already, and that’s huge

obviously two different teams, but still played with at least one of the others

Edited by gnet550
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This all day long. I'm feeling like the 2002 type team strategy is exactly what Archie is putting together. 4-5 solidly ranked guys who will be around for a few years and pepper with elite like JJ was. I'm really trying to show some restraint but the amount of quality talent and elite talent this squad is going to have on it next year and the following?? Very, very good times ahead for IU. If Kaufman says yes....the chest will grow another 2 inches. 

Agree.  The key ingredient to all of this is getting guys to stick around for at least 2 years - ideally 3-4 if possible (obviously). That’s how you win and win consistently in today’s game.  I know there are a few outliers, but this is the recipe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Question.  After having his wrists slapped by the NCAA.  Has Mark Adams re-engaged in feeding players to IU ? 

One has fallen .  Another on the way ?

I can say this with almost  100% certainty.  Trey Kaufman is not going to allow Mark Adams or anyone else to 'feed' him to a school.  It's going to be his own decision, with his family involved in getting there.  Being influenced by an AAU coach is not the way the family will allow things to be handled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can say this with almost  100% certainty.  Trey Kaufman is not going to allow Mark Adams or anyone else to 'feed' him to a school.  It's going to be his own decision, with his family involved in getting there.  Being influenced by an AAU coach is not the way the family will allow things to be handled.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps feed was a poor choice of words on my part.  However.  We are looking at one, and possibly two Indiana Elite players who may wind up at IU. This... after Mr. Adams disengaged for some time.  Can't help but they look to him for some advice.  Just as De'Ron Davis relied upon his AAU coach for advice when choosing a school.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I've long said this too. I'd love to see the bulk of the roster ranked between say 35-80 and then you sprinkle in 2-3 guys on both ends of that range. A couple in the 15-35 range and a couple in the 80-130 range. 

The 35-80 guys are typically close in skill/talent to the 15-35 guys, but maybe missing one intangible which forces them to stay in college 3-4 years. If you build the foundation of your program on guys like that, and then supplement with a few 1/2 and done guys and a few guaranteed 4-year guys on the other end of the spectrum, then you'll have sustained, high level winning. 

as usual, totally agree.  people always say rankings don't matter, and i get it... sometimes they are way off.  that said 35-80 ranked guys any day of the week!  politics some times play into where they get jumbled, potential, etc, etc., but it sounds like we're landing almost all of that 80-130 range right now.  sure 1 or 2 are fine, but give me at least a couple in the 15-35 range an the rest in 35-80.  no, i don't want Cal's group of all 5 star guys (or at least don't expect it!).  i agree with the other poster that said it's about how they fit together and play together, but talent does matter!   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as usual, totally agree.  people always say rankings don't matter, and i get it... sometimes they are way off.  that said 35-80 ranked guys any day of the week!  politics some times play into where they get jumbled, potential, etc, etc., but it sounds like we're landing almost all of that 80-130 range right now.  sure 1 or 2 are fine, but give me at least a couple in the 15-35 range an the rest in 35-80.  no, i don't want Cal's group of all 5 star guys (or at least don't expect it!).  i agree with the other poster that said it's about how they fit together and play together, but talent does matter!   

On another site one guy posted a table he had made which broke down recruiting ranking vs success in the NBA over a recent period of 9 years. He defined success as $5M+ in NBA pay. Now, NBA success doesn't always equal NCAA success and even the $5M is an arbitrary value but he had to define it somehow. So not a perfect measure but still interesting and telling. 

The most successful group was 1-5 (by a large margin), followed by 6-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 in that order. 40+ the numbers were inconsistent in the way he grouped them but were close enough that I think they can be grouped together and all were less than these other groups in front of them.

So while on an individual basis the rankings might not be accurate, overall they do a decent job of predicting success in the NBA. And I'd rather have multiple guys on the team with decent chances of having NBA careers vs a bunch that have little to no chance. The sweat spot would be guys that are ranked high but not too high so there is a good chance that they're in school 2 years, preferably 3 or even 4 years before having successful professional careers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

..... I'd rather have multiple guys on the team with decent chances of having NBA careers vs a bunch that have little to no chance. The sweat spot would be guys that are ranked high but not too high so there is a good chance that they're in school 2 years, preferably 3 or even 4 years before having successful professional careers. 

100% with you there.  During this time.... the NBA needs to get off their rear ends.... and put an end to the one and done rule..... for ever. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm no expert but I would almost bet the farm that the schools that are consistently elite (Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, etc) consistently have top recruiting classes.   I'm sure that is no giant coincidence. 

Last 10 years Villanova(2) championships, Connecticut(2), Virginia, Louisville I doubt has what was top recruiting clAsses. Duke 2010 didn’t either. They all recruited good but I wouldn’t say the best. 

while Duke, UK, UNC, and Kansas have the most tournament wins the past 10-15 years close behind them are teams like Michigan ST. Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Villanova so there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Really like this pickup- big upside, tough kid, has a motor.  Seems like recruits coming in have those traits plus personality.  IU basketball future is bright.

Another thing to add about Logan. He is a very bright kid.  Number 4 in his class. At a school known for their academics.

Additionally.  Thanks virus.... as weird as that sounds. Logan had a visit to Wisconsin planned. But cancelled it due to the virus, and chose to commit to IU, instead,  where he had already visited twice. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Another thing to add about Logan. He is a very bright kid.  Number 4 in his class. At a school known for their academics.

Additionally.  Thanks virus.... as weird as that sounds. Logan had a visit to Wisconsin planned. But cancelled it due to the virus, and chose to commit to IU, instead,  where he had already visited twice. 

Not to toot my own horn but I have mentioned this a few times. Kids recruiting window has officially been narrowed down and chances to visit or make impressions for higher level schools is limited so that should give advantage to schools with the most history and relationship theoretically. Also assume uncertainty of future means you take what you have offered in front of you. Could do a lot worse then a four year education and playing ball at IU. Heck You can always transfer if it doesn’t work out as planned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

On another site one guy posted a table he had made which broke down recruiting ranking vs success in the NBA over a recent period of 9 years. He defined success as $5M+ in NBA pay. Now, NBA success doesn't always equal NCAA success and even the $5M is an arbitrary value but he had to define it somehow. So not a perfect measure but still interesting and telling. 

The most successful group was 1-5 (by a large margin), followed by 6-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 in that order. 40+ the numbers were inconsistent in the way he grouped them but were close enough that I think they can be grouped together and all were less than these other groups in front of them.

So while on an individual basis the rankings might not be accurate, overall they do a decent job of predicting success in the NBA. And I'd rather have multiple guys on the team with decent chances of having NBA careers vs a bunch that have little to no chance. The sweat spot would be guys that are ranked high but not too high so there is a good chance that they're in school 2 years, preferably 3 or even 4 years before having successful professional careers. 

With most highly ranked players being one and dones, they often get drafted high based on potential and with that comes a high salary.  Would be interested to see how many pf those $5M players are actually busts.

A more accurate picture to me is how many have been all-stars.  It probably still leans Top 15, but maybe not as heavily, especially once you get beyond that number.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

With most highly ranked players being one and dones, they often get drafted high based on potential and with that comes a high salary.  Would be interested to see how many pf those $5M players are actually busts.

A more accurate picture to me is how many have been all-stars.  It probably still leans Top 15, but maybe not as heavily, especially once you get beyond that number.

Yeah I would rather look at years in the league. All star is such a limited number of players in the league and often a beauty contest/fan favorite.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm no expert but I would almost bet the farm that the schools that are consistently elite (Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, etc) consistently have top recruiting classes.   I'm sure that is no giant coincidence. 

but it has not produce that many champions lately and I would rather IU go to the UVA and Villanova route of roster management. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

because the NBA can't just implement this because it has to be through collective bargaining with the players association.

Good answer !.. Here's my response. With nothing else going on. Have to have the player's association get off their behinds.  And start the action going.  Why not ?  What else do they have to do under the current circumstances ?  GET RID OF THE ONE AND DONE RULE.  NOW !

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good answer !.. Here's my response. With nothing else going on. Have to have the player's association get off their behinds.  And start the action going.  Why not ?  What else do they have to do under the current circumstances ?  GET RID OF THE ONE AND DONE RULE.  NOW !

I agree with you but it is not that easy

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with you but it is not that easy

Apparently so.  And all I ask. Why not ?  Just seems like a perfect time to come together, through what ever means to make it happen. 

Thanks Scott. For being a GREAT Hoosier Sports Nation member.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Apparently so.  And all I ask. Why not ?  Just seems like a perfect time to come together, through what ever means to make it happen. 

Thanks Scott. For being a GREAT Hoosier Sports Nation member.

I would think the players association likes the one and done rule because it allows the older players more roster spots.  If the players accept this then they will want something from the NBA so there will be some negotiating.