Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very excited about this one. Huge upside very bright young man. 4 year player that adds to the toughness we are building at IU.  Next dominoe should fall sooner rather than later.  Be shocked if we dont have 1 or 2 more around 1st week of May

Thank  you for in information. I hope all is well with you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very excited about this one. Huge upside very bright young man. 4 year player that adds to the toughness we are building at IU.  Next dominoe should fall sooner rather than later.  Be shocked if we dont have 1 or 2 more around 1st week of May

This kid has tons of potential and is going to make an impact.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

download (2).jpeg

11 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I don’t quite follow the point you are proving with your post (disparage the rankings ?) but......

Three the 15 players above are overseas and thus were not included in Rivals or 247 rankings.. Of the remaining 12 players 7 were 5 stars.  An additional player was a high 4 star.  On the other side of the coin Lillard was only a two star. 

In a given year roughly 500,000 males play hs  basketball so roughly 100,000 are seniors.  Of the 100,000 or so seniors an astronomically low 25-30 are 5 stars but 58% of the above players were 5 stars. If anything I think that speaks to how the odds (not a guarantee by any means) of 5 star players being good is pretty impressive.

Back to the topic....glad we got Logan and hope we finish strong with Kaufman.

Curry was not highly ranked either

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

But can he hedge out 35' and recover back to the basket quickly enough.  :) , I kid i kid.  Great pickup.  We need 4 year role players with heart and motor

That's exactly what I hope he can do, above anything else. Well, maybe not at 35' out but Virginia gets caught in hedges that far out at times, but their bigs are quick back to the paint and the defense seems to recover.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It isn't hard to envision him as a 6'11, 250 lb center with a high motor and good athleticism with a 7'5 wingspan to boot. That will do wonders for our defense down the line. 

Absolutely! I also like that Duncomb is saying that Archie already wants him developing his 3pt shot. A 6'11" center with length and a motor that can also knock down open 3's off the pick and pop? Sign me up!!

• Like 1

IU currently has 2 open scholarships for 2021. Give me two of Aminu, Kaufman, and Patterson and that’d be incredible. If we took another option like Wesley or someone else I’d be happy about that too if IU missed on Aminu but I still think Wesley goes to ND.

• Like 6

I think IU needs to find another post player for the 2021 class or a transfer with multiple years like Brunk. I’m not counting Kaufman or Patterson. TJD and Brunk will likely be gone and Thompson will be a senior. So another post is greatly needed. That said another scholarship will need to open up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! I also like that Duncomb is saying that Archie already wants him developing his 3pt shot. A 6'11" center with length and a motor that can also knock down open 3's off the pick and pop? Sign me up!!

Cringe.  That's exactly what Coach Crean was asking De'Ron Davis to do during De'Ron's Senior season in high school. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Cringe.  That's exactly what Coach Crean was asking De'Ron Davis to do during De'Ron's Senior season in high school. 

I don't think it's a cringe, I think it's a good thing depending on the players skill set. Look at what Jalen Smith hitting 3's did for Maryland or Kaleb Weeson developing a 3 did for OSU. Imagine if Brunk, Race and/or TJD could knock down open 3's. It completely changes the offense. 

I'm not sure De'Ron was ever really a candidate for that, but potentially Duncomb is. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I don't think it's a cringe, I think it's a good thing depending on the players skill set. Look at what Jalen Smith hitting 3's did for Maryland or Kaleb Weeson developing a 3 did for OSU. Imagine if Brunk, Race and/or TJD could knock down open 3's. It completely changes the offense. 

I'm not sure De'Ron was ever really a candidate for that, but potentially Duncomb is. 

Cringing. Because of how the experiment turned out for De'Ron.... and hopes that it does not work out the same for Logan.  Oh, I do agree. That to have a big who can come out and hit a trey once in a while is an additional weapon.  Just as long as a big does not fall in love with the trey, just because he can hit 'em.  We need our bigs under the bucket more than beyond the arc.  My humble opinion.  Personally, I would rather spend the summer working on his foot work and inside moves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Cringing. Because of how the experiment turned out for De'Ron.... and hopes that it does not work out the same for Logan.  Oh, I do agree. That to have a big who can come out and hit a trey once in a while is an additional weapon.  Just as long as a big does not fall in love with the trey, just because he can hit 'em.  We need our bigs under the bucket more than beyond the arc.  My humble opinion.  Personally, I would rather spend the summer working on his foot work and inside moves. 

I'll say this to your point, I would rather TJD, Brunk and Thompson develop those shots for next season and beyond, while Duncomb focus on the things you mentioned for now. Duncomb can worry about adding the perimeter shot once he gets on campus. For bigs at least, that seems like something better added after a year or two in the system and getting acclimated to the college game.  

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Davis didn't live up to his potential out of high school due to injuries, not from trying to hit shots he shouldn't have been taking. He showed that he did have a nice mid-range game but didn't shoot a lot of those. Most of his shots still came from close. If he had been able to stay healthy and work on his game instead of rehabilitating I think he could've developed a nice 3-point shot. This would've totally changed the way other teams guarded him.

I would also point out that part of the problem with the offense this season is that there was often 3 players on the floor at the same time who can't hit a shot from more than 5 feet away. Coupled with guards who also had a hard time hitting their shots consistently, this lead to the paint getting packed. If one of the bigs had more range that would've helped alleviate this issue.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll say this to your point, I would rather TJD, Brunk and Thompson develop those shots for next season and beyond, while Duncomb focus on the things you mentioned for now. Duncomb can worry about adding the perimeter shot once he gets on campus. For bigs at least, that seems like something better added after a year or two in the system and getting acclimated to the college game.  

I personally do not want to see Joey Brunk ever take a 3.

As far as Race.  Yes.  The potential is there.

TJD is a mystery.  I know it's critical for his development, but it's just not who he is.  He can be a very special college basketball player without it in his arsenal.  And, even though everyone thinks you need that kind of game for the next level, I'm not sure his range will ever develop that far out.  What he needs to work on his taking it off the dribble (both hands) from the high post to the hoop.  That, is something I think will advance his game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

TJD is a mystery.  I know it's critical for his development, but it's just not who he is.  He can be a very special college basketball player without it in his arsenal.  And, even though everyone thinks you need that kind of game for the next level, I'm not sure his range will ever develop that far out.  What he needs to work on his taking it off the dribble (both hands) from the high post to the hoop.  That, is something I think will advance his game.

Pretty hard to take someone off the dribble from the high-post if no one is worried you're going to shoot it. 

He has a good stroke and has hit some long jumpers deeper in the shot clock. Stepping back a few feet and shooting 1-2 threes per game could really open things up for him. 

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I only want to see Brunk take 3's if he spends the entire offseason working on it and proves he can make them. It's like I'm calling for these guys to all of the sudden just start launching 3's out of the blue. 

I'm not sure if Brunk actually has the mechanics to do it, but I'd love to see him and Race (agree with you one Race being much more likely) develop a consistent open 3 off the pick and pop. As for TJD, I agree here to an extent. I think he'd need a 3rd year to work his way out to the 3-point line, but as @KoB2011 replied, it would help a great deal if TJD could consistently and confidently knock down open 10-15 ft jump shots. 

Just Race and TJD accomplishing those things would have a huge impact on the offense. 

@Colonialcrester, @bluegrassIU, , @Hoosierhoopster, @KDB, @HoosierFaithful

Would it be possible for one of you to go in and update the Scholarship Grid thread that is pinned at the top of General basketball page?  @Zlinedavid has not visited the board since February 8th, so I don't think we can expect him to make the updates going forward.  It's a great tool and something the casual visitor, and potential member,  might find interesting

Need to add Lander and Duncomb

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I just wish our post players would just be more decisive in their decision making.  When they get the ball they need to know what they are going to do with the ball when they get the ball.  Either pass it is back out or take a good 7-10 foot turn around shot or jump hook.  I get tired of seeing our guys just trying to dribble his guy down to the basket because it is so much easier to double down on them.  I know people get tired of me talking about the older days but the post guys were able to knock down the open 12-15 jumpers which todays players need to learn to shoot.

• Like 2

This kid is definitely still growing! He’s 6’9 with a 7’4 wingspan, and he’s 16 years old with a baby face! He for sure has at least two inches left I guarantee it! When he steps foot on campus as a freshman, he’ll be 17. Clif Marshall will enjoy building a frame on this kid! Very big pick up! Welcome Duncomb! 🔴

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

@Colonialcrester, @bluegrassIU, , @Hoosierhoopster, @KDB, @HoosierFaithful

Would it be possible for one of you to go in and update the Scholarship Grid thread that is pinned at the top of General basketball page?  @Zlinedavid has not visited the board since February 8th, so I don't think we can expect him to make the updates going forward.  It's a great tool and something the casual visitor, and potential member,  might find interesting

Need to add Lander and Duncomb

Great request. Excellent use of the hashtag, which insures they will be getting your request in their inboxes.  Well done. 

Upon second thought. Not sure if the use of the at, works. Like the hashtag.  We'll see. 

Edited by milehiiu