Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Cringe.  That's exactly what Coach Crean was asking De'Ron Davis to do during De'Ron's Senior season in high school. 

see i'm with Mile on this.  one of the rare times we disagree BGleas.  i saw somewhere that a coach said he was a post player that knows he is a post player.  i like old school.  i don't need my center working on his outside game.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just wish our post players would just be more decisive in their decision making.  When they get the ball they need to know what they are going to do with the ball when they get the ball.  Either pass it is back out or take a good 7-10 foot turn around shot or jump hook.  I get tired of seeing our guys just trying to dribble his guy down to the basket because it is so much easier to double down on them.  I know people get tired of me talking about the older days but the post guys were able to knock down the open 12-15 jumpers which todays players need to learn to shoot.

we agree for once Scott!  i'm happy if a guy can dominate down low and step out and hit a 12-15 footer.  

9 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

A big that can hit from 3 opens up a lot. Can he develop that skill is the question. He looks like a great pick up. I think Race opens that up next year.

No question about that.  As I mentioned earlier.  However asking a big to work on his three point shooting while still in high school.... to me is sending the wrong message. Wait... wait... till the kid gets on campus to help him on his three point shooting. Where our coaches can control the amount of time Logan works on all parts of his game.  That way he can still understand the importance why he was offered in the first place... and understands that working on his three point shooting, is just an augment to his game, and the real need for him.

Edited by milehiiu

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

No question about that.  As I mentioned earlier.  However asking a big to work on his three point shooting while still in high school.... to me is sending the wrong message. Wait... wait... till the kid gets on campus to help him on his three point shooting.  That way he can still understand the importance why he was offered in the first place... and understands that working on his three point shooting, is just an augment to his game, and the real need for him.

And I can't argue with that logic. You make excellent points. He shouldn't forget why he was given the offer. I do hope he can work on adding that to his arsenal. I don't think he should come in and try to spread the floor. He should be working on that as an added skill for sure. I don't think Duncomb will be a floor spreader to start; nor do I think that's what's needed from him. I just think this offense is so close to being efficient. Floor spacers would open things up so much ...

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

@Colonialcrester, @bluegrassIU, , @Hoosierhoopster, @KDB, @HoosierFaithful

Would it be possible for one of you to go in and update the Scholarship Grid thread that is pinned at the top of General basketball page?  @Zlinedavid has not visited the board since February 8th, so I don't think we can expect him to make the updates going forward.  It's a great tool and something the casual visitor, and potential member,  might find interesting

Need to add Lander and Duncomb

You want to make us work? During this pandemic? Let me get a mask on and see what I can do...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I have only seen highlights but there are clips of him facing up and looking decent with a nice mid-range touch.  I admittedly don’t know the analytics of his shot selection and percentages at various spots on the floor. But, I think we can all agree there is potential to hit at least a little jumper consistently.  

Since when do we expect a BIG to develop an outside shot?  Did Luka Garza dominate at the 3 pt line or in the PAINT?  I want our BIGS to DOMINATE in the area they man & that’s in the PAINT!!!  I thought Guards & Wings were supposed to have an outside game??  Bigs who need a jumper are Bigs who can’t dominate!!!  

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Since when do we expect a BIG to develop an outside shot?  Did Luka Garza dominate at the 3 pt line or in the PAINT?  I want our BIGS to DOMINATE in the area they man & that’s in the PAINT!!!  I thought Guards & Wings were supposed to have an outside game??  Bigs who need a jumper are Bigs who can’t dominate!!!  

Garza was a big weapon from three... 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Uh, Garza hit 39 three’s this season shooting 36% from beyond the arc  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Uh, Garza hit 39 three’s this season shooting 36% from beyond the arc  

I understand that but has nothing to do with his dominance in the paint!  If he didn’t have an outside shot, teams still wouldn’t be able to guard him in the post.  That is just an added bonus to his NBA resume but I want BIGS to dominate the paint first.  The kid from IL dominated the paint w/o any outside shot.  

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I understand that but has nothing to do with his dominance in the paint!  If he didn’t have an outside shot, teams still wouldn’t be able to guard him in the post.  That is just an added bonus to his NBA resume but I want BIGS to dominate the paint first.  The kid from IL dominated the paint w/o any outside shot.  

And Garza averaged 10 points per game more than him because he had a more well rounded game... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great point, it is possible to dominate in the paint and be a weapon from 3. Would be great if Duncomb developed like that. 

Of course, but TJD has no issues w/o a 3 pt shot!  I guess my understanding of a Big is different today than when i grew up.  If you need an outside shot to be successful, you might be a 4 instead of a 5.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And Garza averaged 10 points per game more than him because he had a more well rounded game... 

Yes Sir but please realize that players like Garza are very rare & we can’t expect every big that commits to IU to be that player.  Bigs dominate the paint, wings/guards dominate the 3pt line is how it should be.  Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleah, TJD NEVER had an outside shot?

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Of course, but TJD has no issues w/o a 3 pt shot!  I guess my understanding of a Big is different today than when i grew up.  If you need an outside shot to be successful, you might be a 4 instead of a 5.

Have you not watched the last three years as our bigs clog the paint because none of them can shoot outside the paint, while our guards struggle to get to the rim and finish because there’s no space?

IU’s offense this year would have been infinitely better and more efficient if Race could hit an open 3 off the pick and pop, and if TJD was a threat from 15ft. 

Nobody is saying we want Duncomb to be Devonte Green, but it helps the offense so much if the bigs are a threat from the perimeter. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Yes Sir but please realize that players like Garza are very rare & we can’t expect every big that commits to IU to be that player.  Bigs dominate the paint, wings/guards dominate the 3pt line is how it should be.  Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleah, TJD NEVER had an outside shot?

Noah did have an outside shot - he hit 48% of his three point attempts. I wish he'd have taken 3 times as many as he did. 

Cody didn't have an outside shot, but he could take people off the dribble and he was surrounded by perhaps the best group of shooters the program has ever compiled at one time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Noah did have an outside shot - he hit 48% of his three point attempts. I wish he'd have taken 3 times as many as he did. 

Cody didn't have an outside shot, but he could take people off the dribble and he was surrounded by perhaps the best group of shooters the program has ever compiled at one time. 

Agree on Noah, and let’s not forget how much of an asset Thomas Bryant’s three-point shot was as well. 

And as much as I love Cody Zeller, his lack of a shot killed IU in that Sweet Sixteen loss to Syracuse. They left him wide open at the foul line all night, and instead of knocking that shot down he would barrel into the zone and either get called for a charge or get his shot blocked. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Since it’s  2020. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Nova didnt have any issue without a "post player"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

@Colonialcrester, @bluegrassIU, , @Hoosierhoopster, @KDB, @HoosierFaithful

Would it be possible for one of you to go in and update the Scholarship Grid thread that is pinned at the top of General basketball page?  @Zlinedavid has not visited the board since February 8th, so I don't think we can expect him to make the updates going forward.  It's a great tool and something the casual visitor, and potential member,  might find interesting

Need to add Lander and Duncomb

Updated.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have no idea, what kind of free throw shooter Logan is. But FT shooting is an aspect that can always be worked on. I'd much rather that before coming to IU, than working on an outside shot, before getting to IU.

I read he's a 64% FT shooter. Definitely something I hope he improves on.

Edited by go_iu_bb