Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

Nobody is saying he should just hover around the three point line and avoid contact.  It’s just about having a versatile game where he can face up and hit a jumper reliably.   That doesn’t mean he can’t be a physical presence who kicks butt inside.  As we’ve seen recently, having bigs who can hit a jumper can really open the floor for wings and guards and allow for space.  Last year, without any bigs who could shoot, the defense would just pack it in on us and stymie our offense.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nobody is saying he should just hover around the three point line and avoid contact.  It’s just about having a versatile game where he can face up and hit a jumper reliably.   That doesn’t mean he can’t be a physical presence who kicks butt inside.  As we’ve seen recently, having bigs who can hit a jumper can really open the floor for wings and guards and allow for space.  Last year, without any bigs who could shoot, the defense would just pack it in on us and stymie our offense.  

Agreed. There’s NEVER a negative to a big body that can hit from outside. Too many old school mindsets always assume if a post can shoot well they’re just a stretch 4....I do agree there are too many kids who think they’re guards when they’re posts...and you gotta scout that, but more skills on any player at any positions is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I read he's a 64% FT shooter. Definitely something I hope he improves on.

Thanks. Even if he were better, FT shooting is always something to work on to get better. Honestly feel kids and coaches do not spend enough time of FT shooting.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Now THAT was a good article...

"What separates Duncomb in the eyes of both Kremer and Mark Adams — who coaches Duncomb with Indiana Elite — is the intensity and energy he plays with. 

“The kid never got tired,” Kremer said. “He went after every single rebound. And yet in the whole time I have seen him at Moeller since freshman, you really see him get better every week. Part of that is just because is his work ethic. He goes at it every day. Never takes a rep off in practice, never looks to take a rep off.” 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly! Nobody is saying we want our center bringing the ball up the court and crossing people over to take step-back 3's, or even shooting 3's at volume. This is about spreading the floor, forcing the defense to be honest and defend everyone, and creating lanes for our guards/wings. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of the defense literally not even pretending like they're guarding our bigs when they're outside the paint. I'm tired of watching our bigs get the ball at the top of the key and the defense standing in the paint, so then when the ball is reversed our guards/wings have nowhere to go. 

I'm surprised at the pushback on this. Bigs extending their range seemed to work out well for Jalen Smith and Maryland, Kaleb Wesson and OSU, Luka Garza and Iowa, and there are plenty more.

I completely get, and really agree with Mile that maybe we should be talking about this more for guys like Race Thompson, TJD and Brunk (not sure he's really capable of it), and let Duncomb develop this after he's joined IU, but the point still stands that it's immensely beneficial on numerous fronts for IU's bigs to develop the ability to consistently knock down spot up jumpers. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly! Nobody is saying we want our center bringing the ball up the court and crossing people over to take step-back 3's, or even shooting 3's at volume. This is about spreading the floor, forcing the defense to be honest and defend everyone, and creating lanes for our guards/wings. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of the defense literally not even pretending like they're guarding our bigs when they're outside the paint. I'm tired of watching our bigs get the ball at the top of the key and the defense standing in the paint, so then when the ball is reversed our guards/wings have nowhere to go. 

I'm surprised at the pushback on this. Bigs extending their range seemed to work out well for Jalen Smith and Maryland, Kaleb Wesson and OSU, Luka Garza and Iowa, and there are plenty more.

I completely get, and really agree with Mile that maybe we should be talking about this more for guys like Race Thompson, TJD and Brunk (not sure he's really capable of it), and let Duncomb develop this after he's joined IU, but the point still stands that it's immensely beneficial on numerous fronts for IU's bigs to develop the ability to consistently knock down spot up jumpers. 

If the big can shoot the three... the perimeter players will get more looks at the rim as a result, we won't see a dramatic uptick in the amount of 3s taken. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Back to the basket basketball... its sort of archaic at this point, right? 

I don't see that that's the most efficient way to run an offense on a consistent basis. 

If they are so dominant they draw double teams...then it can be effective...lots of chances to pass out IF you have shooters to feed. I don’t want an either or though. I just want better spacing even if it isn’t all the way out to the new 3pt line. I’d prefer to add a few feet out a year. Knock down those face up 15 footers and free throws and then move out 17-19 then 3pt line. Of course while adding strength and a nice hook shot around the basket. Why can’t the hook shot be taught?? I never understand that.

13 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Of course, but TJD has no issues w/o a 3 pt shot!  I guess my understanding of a Big is different today than when i grew up.  If you need an outside shot to be successful, you might be a 4 instead of a 5.

Pretty much no such things as a 4 or a 5 any longer it is about position less basketball

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Noah, and let’s not forget how much of an asset Thomas Bryant’s three-point shot was as well. 

And as much as I love Cody Zeller, his lack of a shot killed IU in that Sweet Sixteen loss to Syracuse. They left him wide open at the foul line all night, and instead of knocking that shot down he would barrel into the zone and either get called for a charge or get his shot blocked. 

In 2013 if we had a Henderson or Anderson playing against that zone we would have killed Syracuse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't see that that's the most efficient way to run an offense on a consistent basis. 

I agree that it is sort of archaic at this point, though I will grant some of the more old school fans that the shift has been a lot slower to take hold in the college game compared to how the NBA and the rest of the world plays in 2020. 

With that said, bigs that can operate inside as well as outside completely change the game offensively. I've said it numerous time, but if Race, TJD  and Justin Smith could shoot, IU's offense would have been completely different this year, and with Smith going back to the Langford season as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It is just archaic if all you look at his today's analytics but to me what worked back  in the day should work today as well.  M problem is that the analytics has taken away to many good aspects of the game of basketball and has taken variety away as well.  I like seeing teams play a different style where some might be a run and gun team or some would be a team that held the ball until they got a good shot.  You had teams you would shoot outside and some who would play more of an inside game or mid range game.  Today it is all driving all the way to the basket or shooting 3's and it has become to robotic.  To me the best and easiest shots for a good basketball player to hit is the 12-15 jump shot from the wing or baseline but that is totally taken away in todays game.

18 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Q&A with Duncomb here on a wide range of topics including his impression of playing with AAU teammate Trey Kaufman.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-qa-with-new-class-of-2021-commit-logan-duncomb/

Great job as always Mike.  Love your stuff and appreciate you bringing it to this board.

• Like 1

i think the obvious thing is that if you're going to be a big in the NBA game these days you have to shoot outside.  i hate it so much, but it is what it is.  as a college fan, it kills me to see guys working on becoming that to the detriment of the team, but better for their long term career.  you know?

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think the obvious thing is that if you're going to be a big in the NBA game these days you have to shoot outside.  i hate it so much, but it is what it is.  as a college fan, it kills me to see guys working on becoming that to the detriment of the team, but better for their long term career.  you know?

I bet if this man came into the league today, there would be a smart coach somewhere that could figure out how to utilize him.  

image.jpeg.d8ce427a8eab65f86def8c2fc871020a.jpeg

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just archaic if all you look at his today's analytics but to me what worked back  in the day should work today as well.  M problem is that the analytics has taken away to many good aspects of the game of basketball and has taken variety away as well.  I like seeing teams play a different style where some might be a run and gun team or some would be a team that held the ball until they got a good shot.  You had teams you would shoot outside and some who would play more of an inside game or mid range game.  Today it is all driving all the way to the basket or shooting 3's and it has become to robotic.  To me the best and easiest shots for a good basketball player to hit is the 12-15 jump shot from the wing or baseline but that is totally taken away in todays game.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you or I like, the fact is the game has changed. For the most part, there are obviously always exceptions, the game has changed to where it's a benefit to have all 5 guys on the court be multi-skilled players that can play inside and out. Big men need to be able to defend the perimeter and shoot the ball off the pick and pop and spot ups. 

We all know you don't like that, but again it doesn't really matter, because it's the way the game has changed and will continue to change. We can whine and moan about it (not saying that's what you're doing, just mean as a collective) or IU can recruit and develop players that fit into the way the game is played today. 

I can't imagine watching the last 3 years of IU basketball and not wanting skilled bigs that can operate inside and out.  

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why should it work now if it worked then? There's about a billion things in the world that don't work now that used to work. They used to put butter on burns. 

Analytics have nothing to do with them shortening the shot clock. A midrange shot is easier to hit than a layup? What? 

Also.. maybe a 15ft shot is easier to hit than a 3pt... but it isn't efficient. I hated shooting from the baseline especially from the range you mentioned, I would much rather shoot a three from between the wings. 

30 sec shot clocks don't allow you to "feed the post" at will. 

Good basketball players make shots regardless. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you or I like, the fact is the game is and has changed. For the most part, there are obviously always exceptions, the game has changed to where it's a benefit to have all 5 guys on the court be multi-skilled players that can play inside and out. Big men need to be able to defend the perimeter and shoot the ball off the pick and pop and spot ups. 

We all know you don't like that, but again it doesn't really matter, because it's the way the game has changed and will continue to change. We can whine and moan about it (not saying that's what you're doing, just mean as a collective) or IU can recruit and develop players that fit into the way the game is played today. 

I can't imagine watching the last 3 years of IU basketball and not wanting skilled bigs that can operate inside and out.  

100% agree

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Why is developing a perimeter game to the detriment of their college team? Villanova won a title with Omari Spellman and the guy on the Warriors now (can't remember his name) spotting up at the 3-point line while guys like Brunson and DiVencenzo penetrated and kicked. Wisconsin went to a National Title game with Frank Kaminsky playing inside as well as outside. You can argue that the UK 2012 team really took off (I realize they were great most of the yea) when Anthony Davis started knocking down mid range shot the latter part of the year. It made them almost unguardable. Maryland took off this year with Jalen Smith developing a 3-point shot. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the best and easiest shots for a good basketball player to hit is the 12-15 jump shot from the wing or baseline but that is totally taken away in todays game.

The thing about analytics is they don't care how you, me, or anyone else feels. They're based on actual numbers from actual games played. The 12'-15' jump shot is about the worst shot you can take. It counts the same as a dunk, layup, or shot from 2' away but is hit at a much lower percentage. It might be hit at a higher percentage than a 3-pointer but not enough to compensate that the 3-pointer is also worth 50% more.

It was true "back in the day" and it's still true now that if you force a team to shoot a lot of long range 2-pointers you're more likely than not going to win the game.

It wasn't called "analytics" back then (at least not as a widely used term that normal fans knew) but Pitino's Kentucky teams were one of the first to employ this style of play or, at least, the most well known and successful with it. I remember watching the games and the announcers talking about how he wanted his team to either get dunks or shoot a 3. That was 30 years ago so it isn't a new thing to college basketball but is ubiquitous now and was uncommon then.

• Like 3