Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

It is funny that this discussion we are having about the direction of basketball was the same discussion that was on Coyle and Leary the other day.  Pat graham was on there and they started talking about this same subject and Graham said he really hates the direction the game is going.  Even though he is in coaching he said the game is just not as enjoyable to him than it use to be and the main reason was these same things we have been talking about.  He hates that the mid range game is being taken out of the game and the over use of analytics is out of control.

There are two sides to this discussion for sure, but I think there’s a fair amount of “right” on both sides. 

disclaimer, it’s early morning, still drinking my coffee, haven’t gone back through all the posts. 

So I am a fan of the mid-range game, and the bank shot / work from the elbow. And I like hard D, not a fan of the rather extreme hands-off rules in place now, driven by the desire to really open up scoring — I think it’s gone too far. I also kind of miss true centers.

On the other hand, players today in general are extremely skilled, outside shooting is fantastic, it’s ridiculous to say otherwise, there are all kinds of genuinely elite point guards, and the game has never had this level of skill up front - ball handling, playmaking, shooting forwards all over the place. 

Guys like Dirk and Garnett really got the change going, now how do you defend a guy like KD? Try defending a mobile, agile 7-footer who can shoot lights out from deep while also slashing to the basket. There weren’t really KD’s “back in the day,” and what is not to like about that kind of crazy skill as a forward? Yes Magic was amazing as a point forward, not discounting him at all, but he was really unique and now you have all kinds of fluid shooting / playmaking forwards, including the new young NBA players. That’s fun to watch.

But yeah there’s a pendulum here that I think has swung too far. We don’t (my opinion) need multiple 150 point games and guys who can get triple doubles with ease because touching them creates fouls all over the place, and give me some Shaq-types who can own the paint without HAVING to be 3-point shooters too. Ease up on the analytics a bit. This is basketball, not chess 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There are two sides to this discussion for sure, but I think there’s a fair amount of “right” on both sides. 

disclaimer, it’s early morning, still drinking my coffee, haven’t gone back through all the posts. 

So I am a fan of the mid-range game, and the bank shot / work from the elbow. And I like hard D, not a fan of the rather extreme hands-off rules in place now, driven by the desire to really open up scoring — I think it’s gone too far. I also kind of miss true centers.

On the other hand, players today in general are extremely skilled, outside shooting is fantastic, it’s ridiculous to say otherwise, there are all kinds of genuinely elite point guards, and the game has never had this level of skill up front - ball handling, playmaking, shooting forwards all over the place. 

Guys like Dirk and Garnett really got the change going, now how do you defend a guy like KD? Try defending a mobile, agile 7-footer who can shoot lights out from deep while also slashing to the basket. There weren’t really KD’s “back in the day,” and what is not to like about that kind of crazy skill as a forward? Yes Magic was amazing as a point forward, not discounting him at all, but he was really unique and now you have all kinds of fluid shooting / playmaking forwards, including the new young NBA players. That’s fun to watch.

But yeah there’s a pendulum here that I think has swung too far. We don’t (my opinion) need multiple 150 point games and guys who can get triple doubles with ease because touching them creates fouls all over the place, and give me some Shaq-types who can own the paint without HAVING to be 3-point shooters too. Ease up on the analytics a bit. This is basketball, not chess 

Scoring is up in the NBA but for the college game it is down.  I am just talking about the college game because that is where my interest lies and to me shooting is way down.  I have no looked at the stats but just form all the games I have watched this year shooting was terrible.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scoring is up in the NBA but for the college game it is down.  I am just talking about the college game because that is where my interest lies and to me shooting is way down.  I have no looked at the stats but just form all the games I have watched this year shooting was terrible.

The extended 3pt line had nothing to do with that? 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The extended 3pt line had nothing to do with that? 

Did not say it didn't but some has said shooting is at a all time high which to me it isn't.  I still think shooting is down because of the shot clock being at 30 seconds and we see way to many contested shots at the end of the shot clock.  A lot of peoples  perception of the game before the shot clock was that most teams just held the ball and scoring was lower but that is not the case.  To me the pace of the game was higher and the flow of the game was better because teams for the most part would take good open shots.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Scoring is probably down in college because they let teams mug each other. College defense is atrocious, they rely on getting to grab and hold every inch on the court. 

• Like 2

So from what I’ve read is that Logan Duncomb was a bad signing due to no outside shot or presence?  Do I need to remind you that Vic Dipo couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat in the Pacific Ocean coming into College?  The kid seems to have all the other measurables that you want & thankfully as we have witnessed, a shot can be found.  

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

So from what I’ve read is that Logan Duncomb was a bad signing due to no outside shot or presence?  Do I need to remind you that Vic Dipo couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat in the Pacific Ocean coming into College?  The kid seems to have all the other measurables that you want & thankfully as we have witnessed, a shot can be found.  

He can hit 3's just did not shoot many with him hitting 3-7

42 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

You did not read your first sentence anywhere in this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You did not read your first sentence anywhere in this thread. 

I’m so confused if Logan is received as an exciting 4* commitment or a player we should have passed?  Normally when a player commits, HSN is happy with glee but I didn’t sense that with this one?  IMO, the kid is so young that his body hasn’t filled out yet and fans see there is no way to compete in this league as is.  Correct, which is why we shouldn’t suggest meaningful minutes until his JR season but after that the sky is the limit for this kid.  Maybe we’re spoiled with immediate contributions from players like Jerrod Jeffries, Noah Von, Cody Zeller or TJD but these players are RARE.  End of day, I’m sure HSN will be very happy with this commit!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I’m so confused if Logan is received as an exciting 4* commitment or a player we should have passed?  Normally when a player commits, HSN is happy with glee but I didn’t sense that with this one?  IMO, the kid is so young that his body hasn’t filled out yet and fans see there is no way to compete in this league as is.  Correct, which is why we shouldn’t suggest meaningful minutes until his JR season but after that the sky is the limit for this kid.  Maybe we’re spoiled with immediate contributions from players like Jerrod Jeffries, Noah Von, Cody Zeller or TJD but these players are RARE.  End of day, I’m sure HSN will be very happy with this commit!

Yes, you are confused. What's being said in this thread is not that we should have passed. No one is saying that it's a bad commitment nor are they saying that it's bad due to no outside shot.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Everyone is pretty excited about Duncomb. Not sure what you’re reading?

We we’re having a completely different discussion about our bigs, including Duncomb, developing outside shots. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Everyone is pretty excited about Duncomb. Not sure what you’re reading?

We we’re having a completely different discussion about our bigs, including Duncomb, developing outside shots. 

I apologize, not sure where I got that thinking but apparently not here.  Guess I should read before I react sigh.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

no.  not saying it was a bad signing.  arguing whether he should be shooting 3s or not.  i did personally say that i feel like we need more guys in the 35-80 range than having almost all 90-120.  

Unless a kid is in the McDonalds All American running like a Lander, Trayce, Romeo the ratings are meaningless, at least to me.  Green was in the 200's and there are draft picks every year of off the radar kids.  

Give basketball players and kids with grit, then let them work with the strength staff and coaching staff and they will end up being special.

This kid is one of those - upside there.  Grit, IQ, work ethic there.  Fundamentals there and developing and only thing keeping him from top 50 ranking probably is foot speed (never seen hom play. Got thst from reading Snows response).  With that being said, kids loves to run the floor and probably gets down the court better than kids who run like deers.  

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am excited for what he will bring to our team. Anyone that thinks this was just a solid pickup is really selling this kid short. Like many in this class and next has potential to become fan favorites.  

Agreed. Like Race...he may take a year or two to develop but give me a big that likes physicality and running the floor any day!

• Like 4

Lest there be any doubt or confusion, I’m ecstatic we got Duncomb.  And, if I were the coach, he’s exactly the type of player I would have recruited.  I love that he’s from Cincinnati and would love to see the tradition of great Ohio players coming to IU continue.  Scott May.  Butch Carter.  Steve Eyl.  Ricky Calloway. Jerome Hunter.  Many others.  There are some championships represented.  Of course, the most important IU figure from Ohio was a brash, brilliant guy from Orville.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Lest there be any doubt or confusion, I’m ecstatic we got Duncomb.  And, if I were the coach, he’s exactly the type of player I would have recruited.  I love that he’s from Cincinnati and would love to see the tradition of great Ohio players coming to IU continue.  Scott May.  Butch Carter.  Steve Eyl.  Ricky Calloway. Jerome Hunter.  Many others.  There are some championships represented.  Of course, the most important IU figure from Ohio was a brash, brilliant guy from Orville.  

Will be much better seeing him play against the Buckeyes than for them

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Will be much better seeing him play against the Buckeyes than for them

Was Ohio State in the mix?  Much better to see him playing against the Badgers or Hawkeyes than for them....particularly the former.  Wisconsin and Purdue are 2 programs that I am ready to go on a "sick and blanking tired" Knight rant about. 

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Haha 1