Logan Duncomb (2021) commits to IU!

The best shot is actually going to the line with decent FT shooters. 

3 point shot at 45% which is a bit fantastic is and expected point total of 1.35  

Set of Free Throws at 80% which is frankly something that is very attainable despite our failure to do so. Has an expected value of 1.44. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

The best shot is actually going to the line with decent FT shooters. 

3 point shot at 45% which is a bit fantastic is and expected point total of 1.35  

Set of Free Throws at 80% which is frankly something that is very attainable despite our failure to do so. Has an expected value of 1.44. 

i also don't understand why we can't shoot 80%+ from the FT

It's so odd to me to have people arguing against bigs increasing their shooting range. The more versatile any player is, the more that helps them and the team. Big men, especially, who can shoot or play down low create real match up problems for the defenders. And if they can also put it on the floor and/or pass well they are all but unstoppable. They can pull rim protectors away from the basket giving the guards and wings the option to drive or shoot. A versatile big puts a lot of stress on the defense. They don't even have to shoot a lot of 3s, just show that they're willing to and very capable of hitting them.

And if they're going to develop range, it makes more sense to extend that range out to 3-point range than just a long 2. It's more efficient plus defenses might be willing to let the big men shoot and possibly hit a few long 2s per game while they would certainly try to defend the 3. Like I said above, if a team can force another team to shoot long 2s, they have a chance to win.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It's so odd to me to have people arguing against bigs increasing their shooting range. The more versatile any player is, the more that helps them and the team. Big men, especially, who can shoot or play down low create real match up problems for the defenders. And if they can also put it on the floor and/or pass well they are all but unstoppable. They can pull rim protectors away from the basket giving the guards and wings the option to drive or shoot. A versatile big puts a lot of stress on the defense. They don't even have to shoot a lot of 3s, just show that they're willing to and very capable of hitting them.

And if they're going to develop range, it makes more sense to extend that range out to 3-point range than just a long 2. It's more efficient plus defenses might be willing to let the big men shoot and possibly hit a few long 2s per game while they would certainly try to defend the 3. Like I said above, if a team can force another team to shoot long 2s, they have a chance to win.

I don't remember anyone saying they should not develop a outside shot but just don't want them to rely on that shot to much.  I just don't like it when coaches try to worry about the players draft status where guys only want to show off their outside shot.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't remember anyone saying they should not develop a outside shot but just don't want them to rely on that shot to much.  I just don't like it when coaches try to worry about the players draft status where guys only want to show off their outside shot.

Nobody has said the bolded either. Again, literally nobody wants Race or TJD to turn into Devonte Green, but the idea that they can hit the open perimeter shot when their popping off the pick and pop and the defense is scrambling would only help take IU's offense to the next level. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Nobody has said the bolded either. Again, literally nobody wants Race or TJD to turn into Devonte Green, but the idea that they can hit the open perimeter shot when their popping off the pick and pop and the defense is scrambling would only help take IU's offense to the next level. 

i feel its more about confidence to actually shoot the shot, even if they don't make it.  You have to respect it.  I mean how many time were all of big guys standing wide open from 17 - 23' and stand there looking to pass it to someone else.  Take the shot, win lose or draw at least they know you will shoot it, and if you can do what Smith did against MSU a couple years ago, make them respect you.

Plus big men need to develop both hands as much as a outside shot.  As if not more important to me.

• Like 3

I haven’t read all of the posts but this talk about positionless basketball and the old school 5 is gone, got me thinking? I remember a teammate of Isiah Thomas with the Pistons doing quite well being a hard nosed (did someone say dirty) player underneath while being able to step outside and nail threes at a high rate!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I remember when Crean (for two reasons) had Bryant start stepping out. First was probably helping the kid show NBA guys he can shoot from outside but secondly when he did step out it opened things up so much. If we have Shaq and Shaq can shoot from 30....let it rip. I want as many changeable parts on a team and lineup as possible. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I haven’t read all of the posts but this talk about positionless basketball and the old school 5 is gone, got me thinking? I remember a teammate of Isiah Thomas with the Pistons doing quite well being a hard nosed (did someone say dirty) player underneath while being able to step outside and nail threes at a high rate!

One of my favorites. Top of the key J. Kind of like Brad Lohaus used to do "for the back in the day crowd"...haha

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One of my favorites. Top of the key J. Kind of like Brad Lohaus used to do "for the back in the day crowd"...haha

Yeah, but the closest Lohaus ever got to the paint was when he passed by a Sherwin-Williams store...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but the closest Lohaus ever got to the paint was when he passed by a Sherwin-Williams store...

He shot 203 free throws while at Iowa so at least he was touching the paint for those.  He would rebound balls there during warmups as well. Hard to believe he spent 17 years in the NBA. 

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

He shot 203 free throws while at Iowa so at least he was touching the paint for those.  He would rebound balls there during warmups as well. Hard to believe he spent 17 years in the NBA. 

No reason to doubt the numbers...but only 203? 30 games a year. He was there for at least 4 years. So he only average 2 free throws a game per year? 

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But my guy Laimbeer!

Then-head coach Chuck Daly utilized Laimbeer's inside-outside skills to great effect. On the defensive end, Laimbeer was one of the best rebounders in the game. On the offensive end, Daly would often have Laimbeer fade to the perimeter rather than roll to the basket, which had the additional effect of keeping the opposing team's best rebounder far from the backboard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember when Crean (for two reasons) had Bryant start stepping out. First was probably helping the kid show NBA guys he can shoot from outside but secondly when he did step out it opened things up so much. If we have Shaq and Shaq can shoot from 30....let it rip. I want as many changeable parts on a team and lineup as possible. 

I mean look at the NBAs best bigs. Even Embiid who is deadly in the paint took his game to the next level being able to step out and shoot. Having a point center like Jokic as well is a good thing. That said when you need them...they can put their butt in the lane and get you two the traditional way.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

But my guy Laimbeer!

Then-head coach Chuck Daly utilized Laimbeer's inside-outside skills to great effect. On the defensive end, Laimbeer was one of the best rebounders in the game. On the offensive end, Daly would often have Laimbeer fade to the perimeter rather than roll to the basket, which had the additional effect of keeping the opposing team's best rebounder far from the backboard.

And shot blocker!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 2:13 PM, BGleas said:

I don't think it's a cringe, I think it's a good thing depending on the players skill set. Look at what Jalen Smith hitting 3's did for Maryland or Kaleb Weeson developing a 3 did for OSU. Imagine if Brunk, Race and/or TJD could knock down open 3's. It completely changes the offense. 

I'm not sure De'Ron was ever really a candidate for that, but potentially Duncomb is. 

Race has potential in this area, I expect we will see him take his share next year. Very happy about this commit, he sounds like he is intelligent and well put together. Nice get for Archie. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reacher said:

He certainly wasn't your typical B10 low post banger. My Dad use to call him and Brad Sellers the 2 biggest sissies in the conference...

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

But my guy Laimbeer!

Now Laimbeer, he'd mix it up underneath...and then some...Legendary Boston Celtics announcer Johnny Most use to call him and his wingman Rick Mahorn "McFilthy and McNasty." 

• Like 1

i mean the bottom line is that the game has changed so much and a lot of us old guys hate the new game.  i get it.  we're dinosaurs, but my opinion is that it all depends in the offensive philosophy.  back in the day, you put guys in positions to take shots that they should be taking.  unfortunately for me, the new game is not the same.  everyone is expected to shoot the 3.  i certainly don't argue that everyone should work on expanding their range, but only in the offseason or practice if they're not ready for games and i sure wish they'd work more on being really really good from down low or 12-15 feet first!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean the bottom line is that the game has changed so much and a lot of us old guys hate the new game.  i get it.  we're dinosaurs, but my opinion is that it all depends in the offensive philosophy.  back in the day, you put guys in positions to take shots that they should be taking.  unfortunately for me, the new game is not the same.  everyone is expected to shoot the 3.  i certainly don't argue that everyone should work on expanding their range, but only in the offseason or practice if they're not ready for games and i sure wish they'd work more on being really really good from down low or 12-15 feet first!

There isnt a coach in America that doesnt try and put his players in the most consistent ways for his players to be successful offensively. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There isnt a coach in America that doesnt try and put his players in the most consistent ways for his players to be successful offensively. 

i get your point, but what i mean by that is they'd take a guy and let him know where his shot selection should come from and the offense would be more set around different guys taking different shots, but most offenses now are built around dribble/drive - kick out and all are expected to be able to do the same thing.  

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get your point, but what i mean by that is they'd take a guy and let him know where his shot selection should come from and the offense would be more set around different guys taking different shots, but most offenses now are built around dribble/drive - kick out and all are expected to be able to do the same thing.  

Because that's what AAU and year long skill development has caused them to do.