Jalen Williams Commits to Indiana

KDB

I remember seeing him a while back and thinking he'd be a great fit for DeBoer's offense.  From watching DeBoer's games at Fresno State, he really liked a 2 TE set.  One of them a more athletic pass catcher, and one a bigger blocker.  Williams looks to be an awesome fit for that pass catching TE.  He needs to put on weight, but his highlight video showed that he didn't shy away from contact.  Also, for the pass catching TE role, it almost seemed like a WR/TE hybrid.  He won't need to bulk up as much as a classic TE.  He's listed at 200, so probably 230-240 would be good for his build.  So excited about this guy!

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9828582/5bdf1106a676a506b8af3436

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very exciting prospect. High ceiling,  I’m going to continue to bang the drum that this is a class where the staff sees players they can mold and develop.

Project out 3 years from now.  He could be a monster. 

I agree. This probably won't be as highly rated as last year's class, but almost all of our lower rated guys have potential. Either size for our OL/ DL/TE or athleticism for our DBs and WRs.

In football with so many scholarships and a lot of time to develop, I like raw potential over a finished product with a low ceiling. Not all of them will work out, but I'm confident at least a few of the lower guys will turn into really solid starters by their 2nd or 3rd year in the program.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, Leathernecks said:

I agree. This probably won't be as highly rated as last year's class, but almost all of our lower rated guys have potential. Either size for our OL/ DL/TE or athleticism for our DBs and WRs.

In football with so many scholarships and a lot of time to develop, I like raw potential over a finished product with a low ceiling. Not all of them will work out, but I'm confident at least a few of the lower guys will turn into really solid starters by their 2nd or 3rd year in the program.

I'm all for this model.  Not every prospect is going to pan out, but that's true of any recruiting strategy.  But, all you need is a few big hits out of a class like this and suddenly, you have a roster with 2-3 game changers on it. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm all for this model.  Not every prospect is going to pan out, but that's true of any recruiting strategy.  But, all you need is a few big hits out of a class like this and suddenly, you have a roster with 2-3 game changers on it. 

It's nice to have some guys like a Thomas Allen because you know he'll play smart and always be in the right spot, but he just isn't athletic enough to ever turn into a game changer. He's a nice back up and emergency starter, but he won't ever be confused with Tegray Scales.

When we recruited Marcelino Ball, he was a low ranked guy, but he had off the charts athleticism that you could see turning him into a top notch player.

That's why one of the recruits I'm most excited about from last year's class is Da'Shaun Brown. He just has that shiftiness and athleticism that can't be taught.

Archived