Javonte Brown- Ferguson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UConn's Javonte Brown cites departure of assistant coach Kenya Hunter as reason he's transferring

Brown told Hearst Connecticut Media on Friday that he considered transferring at the time of Hunter’s departure, but “I put it off for a little while to see how I would adjust to him not being there.”

According to Brown, the lack of playing time “was pretty disappointing, but it was expected, due to the fact that I was there to develop and learn behind (Isaiah) Whaley and (Josh) Carlton and those guys. It was disappointing, but I knew what I was getting into.”

Brown, who was driving back to Canada on Friday afternoon, added that his brief time at UConn was “a very good experience,” and he had no hard feelings against Dan Hurley and his staff.

In October, Hurley described Brown as “a piece of clay. A legit 7-footer with tremendous upside, really, really nice skill set. Just got to figure out how to maneuver his body. He’s an 18-year-old, 7-foot, 265-pound puppy who is gonna be special. Right now, he’s got to sort things out physically, and figure out the intensity level of practice and everything a freshman’s got to do that way. But, big-time potential, very high ceiling, and unlike a lot of big guys, he loves to play. He plays with a competitiveness. He doesn’t play basketball because he’s tall, which a lot of tall guys only play basketball because somebody makes them play, because they’re tall. He plays basketball because he loves to play, and it shows up on the floor.”

Brown said he has no idea where he’ll end up, but intends to play next season. He noted that Indiana could be one of many possibilities.

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-freshman-center-Javonte-Brown-entering-NCAA-15855961.php

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

UConn's Javonte Brown cites departure of assistant coach Kenya Hunter as reason he's transferring

Brown told Hearst Connecticut Media on Friday that he considered transferring at the time of Hunter’s departure, but “I put it off for a little while to see how I would adjust to him not being there.”

According to Brown, the lack of playing time “was pretty disappointing, but it was expected, due to the fact that I was there to develop and learn behind (Isaiah) Whaley and (Josh) Carlton and those guys. It was disappointing, but I knew what I was getting into.”

Brown, who was driving back to Canada on Friday afternoon, added that his brief time at UConn was “a very good experience,” and he had no hard feelings against Dan Hurley and his staff.

In October, Hurley described Brown as “a piece of clay. A legit 7-footer with tremendous upside, really, really nice skill set. Just got to figure out how to maneuver his body. He’s an 18-year-old, 7-foot, 265-pound puppy who is gonna be special. Right now, he’s got to sort things out physically, and figure out the intensity level of practice and everything a freshman’s got to do that way. But, big-time potential, very high ceiling, and unlike a lot of big guys, he loves to play. He plays with a competitiveness. He doesn’t play basketball because he’s tall, which a lot of tall guys only play basketball because somebody makes them play, because they’re tall. He plays basketball because he loves to play, and it shows up on the floor.”

Brown said he has no idea where he’ll end up, but intends to play next season. He noted that Indiana could be one of many possibilities.

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-freshman-center-Javonte-Brown-entering-NCAA-15855961.php

Sounds pretty encouraging for IU to get him

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds pretty encouraging for IU to get him

Kenya's hiring just keeps looking better

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Wow would be a big get...would also allow Duncomb to slide to the 4 some in the next couple years as well. If somehow Trayce stays he could really mentor the kid.

For the future having a 7'0 in Ferguson and a 6'10 in Duncomb would make for a bigger front line

Show him the love and you’ve got to like IU’s chances.  

It might be enticing for some taller forward recruits out there to know they can play away from the basket with these big guys.  

Not only that, I would love to see us land a big forward from the transfer market.  A stretch 4 who is versatile would be nice.  

This is from a year ago. Kid needs IU's weight room and about 8000 calories a day. Weak lower body, not sure he could dunk if not for his long arms, not much light under those feet.. Coach Marshall could make this kid a beast. Get this kid and the kid from W.Va. look out.

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This is from a year ago. Kid needs IU's weight room and about 8000 calories a day. Weak lower body, not sure he could dunk if not for his long arms, not much light under those feet.. Coach Marshall could make this kid a beast. Get this kid and the kid from W.Va. look out.

It's interesting because he's listed on the recruiting sites as 220-230. On UConn's site he's listed as 250 and Hurley said he's 265. Maybe he's added some weight.

This is his UConn bio. Was a 4.0 student in HS

Before College: One of three true scholarship freshmen on the 2020-21 UConn roster... Young, talented big man who will begin the fall semester at just 17 years old... Mobile 7-footer who can provide necessary bulk under the basket, or step out and shoot a mid-range jumper... Has a world of potential, especially after starting to play basketball seriously just six years ago... First UConn player in 15 years to reside in Canada, since Denham Brown, who graduated in 2006... Comes to UConn after spending last year at Thornlea Secondary School (Thornhill, Ont.), playing under Coach Shane James, Brown-Ferguson’s relative through marriage, who was also his AAU coach with Canada Elite on the Under Armour circuit...  Averaged  18.9 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.6 blocks, with a .608 field goal percentage during his last year at Thornlea and was named the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association Defensive Player of the Year... Before returning to Canada last year, spent a year at Mount Saint Joseph High School in Baltimore, playing for Coach Pat Clatchey... Chose UConn over Kansas, Texas A&M, UCLA, Arizona and Marquette... Originally in Class of 2021, he reclassified to 2020 in order to enroll at UConn.

Personal Information: Javonte Eliza Brown... Born Sept. 19, 2002... Son of Felicia Hooper... Has a younger sister, Chelsea... Maintained a 4.0 GPA at Thornlea Secondary School.

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that he didn’t look explosive, but the blessing for that is maybe he stays 3-4 years.  What won me over were Hurley’s quotes.  Competitive, loves playing, etc.  Couple that with 7’0 and let’s go. 

This seems like a layup for IU. Kid wants to be with Hunter. 

Archived