It's International Beer Day!

Drroogh

So. Funny. When I was a student at IU.  Coors , which is still brewed in Golden,was not available nation wide.  Therefore it became a desired cult beer. And had two IU friends, leave Bloomington one weekend,  for a trip to Golden. To come home with cases of Coors in their car.  Did not take long for it to go away. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So. Funny. When I was a student at IU.  Coors , which is still brewed in Boulder,was not available nation wide.  Therefore it became a desired cult beer. And had two IU friends, leave Bloomington one weekend,  for a trip to Boulder. To come home with cases of Coors in their car.  Did not take long for it to go away. 

Two beers I remember from my college days, New York students ( who for some reason were plentiful in Angola ) would bring back Genesee Cream Ale! VERY TASTY!!! The other on the opposite end of the spectrum, for laughs Pennsylvania students would bring back "Miss Old Frothinslosh" "The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the Bottom!"

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So. Funny. When I was a student at IU.  Coors , which is still brewed in Boulder,was not available nation wide.  Therefore it became a desired cult beer. And had two IU friends, leave Bloomington one weekend,  for a trip to Boulder. To come home with cases of Coors in their car.  Did not take long for it to go away. 

My Dad would drive a couple hours West of Chicago....cross the Mississippi River and buy Coors in Iowa every once in awhile back in the day. Especially when May rolled around and they would head to IMS with cases of Coors. Never realized it was viewed as unique until much later in life. 

In terms of International Beer Day. Does Summer Shandy count? These last 4 have had a small shelf life. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My Dad would drive a couple hours West of Chicago....cross the Mississippi River and buy Coors in Iowa every once in awhile back in the day. Especially when May rolled around and they would head to IMS with cases of Coors. Never realized it was viewed as unique until much later in life. 

In terms of International Beer Day. Does Summer Shandy count? These last 4 have had a small shelf life. 

I have edited my post.  Coors is brewed in Golden, Colorado. Not Boulder. My bad.  

Yes. Was a time when Coors was not distributed East of the Mississippi, if I recall correctly.  Many people would travel many miles to pick up some Coors.  Your dad was not alone.

Another quirk about Coors at that time. It was delivered cold in refrigerator trucks.  Most people who drove miles to pick some up, tried to keep it in coolers on the way back home. 

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have edited my post.  Coors is brewed in Golden, Colorado. Not Boulder. My bad.  

Yes. Was a time when Coors was not distributed East of the Mississippi, if I recall correctly.  Many people would travel many miles to pick up some Coors.  Your dad was not alone.

Another quirk about Coors at that time. It was delivered cold in refrigerator trucks.  Most people who drove miles to pick some up, tried to keep it in coolers on the way back home. 

I remember the times, and for quite some time even if someone claimed to have Coors, nobody wanted it! Not because of the beer, but because Coors marketed that their beer was superior because they kept it temperature controlled! Nobody, wanted to try beer that someone brought back in their pickup without that temperature control!!!

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember the times, and for quite some time even if someone claimed to have Coors, nobody wanted it! Not because of the beer, but because Coors marketed that their beer was superior because they kept it temperature controlled! Nobody, wanted to try beer that someone brought back in their pickup without that temperature control!!!

You are right ! 

Imagine me.  A guy from Indiana.  Graduate of Indiana University. And wind up in Colorado as my last duty station in the Army. 

If any of you people ever get a chance to visit Coors Brewery in Golden. Do it.  And as the end of the tour, you will be the best tasting the  Coors beer you have ever tasted.

Now. I officially hand this thread back to Dr. For thoughts on International Beer Day.  LOL.

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can personally verify that the max capacity for a 1972 Olds Cutlass is 17 cases of Coors beer and 4 average sized young adult males. 

45 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Two beers I remember from my college days, New York students ( who for some reason were plentiful in Angola ) would bring back Genesee Cream Ale! VERY TASTY!!! The other on the opposite end of the spectrum, for laughs Pennsylvania students would bring back "Miss Old Frothinslosh" "The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the Bottom!"

I was stationed at Sondrestrom AB Greenland for a year in the late 80s. The 109th ANG out of Schenectedy NY would come over about every 3 months to resupply the old DEW Line site. The first pallets off the C-130s were Genesee Beer and Cream Ale. A nice change from Tuborg and Carlsberg.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was stationed at Sondrestrom AB Greenland for a year in the late 80s. The 109th ANG would come over about every 3 months to resupply the old DEW Line site. The first pallets off the C-130s were Genesee Beer and Cream Ale. A nice change from Tuborg and Carlsberg.

Genesee, Tuborg and Carlseberg? I must say, the military was treating you well!! If they actually let you drink them to your filling!

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Genesee, Tuborg and Carlseberg? I must say, the military was treating you well!! If they actually let you drink them to your filling!

It was Greenland. Not much else to do but drink and work.

The Danes brought in the Tuborg and Carlsberg. Normally, a ship would bring in the American beer, but the year I was there, the bay into Sindy froze over early (October) and it couldn't get in. When I got there, the had about 7 cases of Bud that was all flatter than Iowa. So, until the ANG came with their Genesee, you were stuck with Danish suds.

"It was Greenland. Not much else to do but drink and work."

Not unlike my college days, where being a predominately engineering school, the ratio was 11 males to 1 female! Worse because the school had  such an influence in Angola the ratio in Stueben County at the time was 8 to 1!

On 8/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, milehiiu said:

So. Funny. When I was a student at IU.  Coors , which is still brewed in Golden,was not available nation wide.  Therefore it became a desired cult beer. And had two IU friends, leave Bloomington one weekend,  for a trip to Golden. To come home with cases of Coors in their car.  Did not take long for it to go away. 

That was the premise of Smokey And The Bandit.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:38 PM, milehiiu said:

Bootlegging just came up in conversation this week with a coworker. The conversation started when I was telling him about when I was 18 Michigan had an 18 YO drinking law (needless to say being at school in Angola a lot of weekend nights were spent in Hillsdale) I also told him how Ohio had an 18 YO 3.2 beer law, and how much you needed to drink to feel good! He being from here in Georgia then told me a story about he and his friends came to realize that Florida beer had a lower alcohol content than Georgia beer so every time they went to Florida they would bring their own! One trip they got stopped at a road check, and as the trooper rummaged thru their belongings he pulled out the beer and stated that they were breaking the law! He said they were BOOTLEGGING! Told them they needed to pour all of the beer out! When they protested he sternly let them know he was doing them a favor and they needed to pour the beer out or go to jail! So there they were pouring 4 cases of beer out on the side of the Interstate!

Archived