UIndy Exhibition Game Day thread and post game comments

Reacher

1pm Central time today. Replay Monday night on the Big 10 network.

Will be listening on the radio and looking to see how Al and Collin do. What are you hoping to see?

Archie had some interesting comments in his pre game press conference- http://iuhoosiers.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Said they worked at attacking the basket with Davis. Discussed Collin and Morgan being able to play together as a key to backing up Davis. Had some praise for Al as well.

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Hartman and Durham are both questionable to play this afternoon. 

Archie seemed to indicate we might see them. Did you hear they are unlikely to play after Archies press conference? I'm thinking they both might get at least a few minutes.

^^^ True. But it is a sign he can be productive off the bench. Some other things from the boxscore-

RoJo led in scoring and +/-.

Rotation seems to be firming up

Al isn't afraid to shoot. Hopefully got the jitters out with his 1 of 6 shooting.

Morgan still isn't making his presence felt. 2 points to go with 6 rebounds. 

Clifton Moore didn't get into late and only got 4 minutes. Less than half of the other freshman.

Good to see Hartman 3-3 from distance in limited minutes. McSwain had great stats as well.  Love seeing them take care of the ball and play defense.  Obvious where the emphasis has been and that's a real positive in my mind.  It's early...the offense will catch up.

A few more observations-

Davis with 5 blocks!, 11 points and 7 rebounds. 

14 assists to 8 turnovers- Half the turnovers coming from Green (2) and Smith (2).

Guards are going to have to be more consistent. Green had 5 points, CuJo 4, and Newkirk 7 on 3 of 11 shooting. 

11 of 19 from the free throw line will need to improve.

16 offensive rebounds with 6 from Freddie. 

Even though we scored only 74 points, we did end up with almost 1.2 ppp. Limiting the turnovers really helped that.

I thought there was a ton to like.  For everyone worried about our depth, it looks like we have 5 guards who will get minutes and 4 forwards/bigs with a little Justin Smith thrown in.  That seems to be plenty deep to me. 

I won't be surprised if Davis and McSwain combine to be the best unit at the 5 in the conference and I really mean that. 

I feel like it is going to be an adjustment for us as a fan base to see our offense look and feel as "less" while our defense improves.  Archie's offense will NEVER look like CTC'S....but neither will his defense.  I also believe it will be harder for the layman to recognize the improvement in the defense vs the regression of the offense. 

Now the offense will catch up....but as the people in this thread have said....it may not look great now.  The value of the ball...and hopefully the better shot selection and movement will eventually rear its pretty head.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

^^^ True. But it is a sign he can be productive off the bench. Some other things from the boxscore-

RoJo led in scoring and +/-.

Rotation seems to be firming up

Al isn't afraid to shoot. Hopefully got the jitters out with his 1 of 6 shooting.

Morgan still isn't making his presence felt. 2 points to go with 6 rebounds. 

Clifton Moore didn't get into late and only got 4 minutes. Less than half of the other freshman.

I thought Morgan was just going through the motions in the first game. I hope he picks it up when it counts

About a quarter of our walk into the hall the tornado sirens started going off.  They didn't even check our tickets when we got there, they just herded us all to court level.  It was like a sauna down there.  Heck of an experience for my four year old son for his first game.  He loved it.

Scoring is going to be a challenge early on this year.  They do value the ball more though.  I noticed several times they passed up shots early in the shot clock that they would have cut loose with last year.  

They get after it defensively.  Teams aren't going to get many easy baskets on us.  They still have an occasional breakdown, but not as many as in the past.  We might not score as much as in the past, but I doubt we give up as much either.  Like someone said above, it is going to be an adjustment learning what the new norm is.

That is about all I have in the way of observations.  Truthfully, I spent a bunch of time just watching my boy take it all in this afternoon. 

Edit:  I just read Archie's post game remarks and he commented on the quick shots.  My thought was, "If you think that was bad, you should have seen us in the past."  I'm glad he is on them about it, but I'm telling you guys I thought it could have been a lot worse.

Some related, encouraging things imo

-- 38 of 74 points in the paint, nice balance.

-- Just 8 TO's, and 18 points off their TO's

-- 16 second chance points, to their 3

-- 17 fast break points to their 0

Increased scoring in second half, we scored 33 in the 1st and 41 in the 2nd

-- We only shot 58% from the stripe. That's likely an outlier, spread would've been better with a better showing at the stripe.

19 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

I am sure meeting the media is a chore for Archie but I could not have enjoyed what he said more.  It is so nice being sympatico with the head coach.  He had under ten turnovers but then was agitated by the bad shots that he thought were the equivalent of turnovers.  He wanted to play inside out and hated the rushed shots or if we did not work the half court first.  He didn't like the quick threes.  I am sure he would be fine with the three ball if it was worked correctly and not just launched haphazardly.  And that's without even mentioning the whole new emphasis on D.  This is what I have wanted.  I have been railing on all these points for years.

Have you seen Weird Science (another obligatory John Hughes reference)?  Two geeks build a dream girl, played by Kelly LeBrock.  Well, if I were building an IU coach from scratch, it might just be Archie.

Archived