Which players' progress intrigues you most?

As another season beckons, who are you most interested to see in terms of development?  I am hoping we can turn around our pass rush this year.  He's been skinny, so I don't know where he is as far as weight now, but I am intrigued by Madison Norris. He can be a menace on the edge.  James Head is another who can take a big step up.  

All of the QBs.  From reading through things, I am guessing Ramsey will start game one.  Will he be a different player under a new OC, or will Penix or Tuttle supplant him as the starter?

All of the OL.

Head and Harris on the DL.

Peyton Hendershot.  I want to see what he is like in DeBoer's TE heavy system.  Will he become a viable weapon, or just a guy who catches a couple dump off passes each game?

I want to see Ball really turn into an unstoppable force.  He was good last year, but it seemed like he missed a few tackles and got beat in coverage a few times that really hurt.

James Miller and McFadden at LB.  I was shocked with McFadden.  I remember his first time making a big play last year, I was like, "who the hell is this guy?"  He was a real find, and really impressive as a true freshman last year.

The safeties.  Losing Crawford isn't good, but we've got tons of talent behind him.  I want to see Burgess and Fitzgerald form a stud tandem for the next 3 years with Matthews pushing them and coming in when needed.

The DBs.  How will Reese Taylor transition?  How much improved will Jaylin Williams be?  He has the athleticism to be great, but is he ready to challenge the upperclassmen?

What will Cam Jones be like, and where will he play the most?

The entire special teams outside of punter kicker.  I loved how Justus did and I love Whitehead, but we sucked after that.  I think having Taylor as a returner could help.  I think with our added depth we can hopefully have more talent on coverage teams.  Hopefully we can find someone to kick off.  Does Campbell have a strong enough leg to take over for Smolar?  We have to do something better.  We were 118th out of 129 teams on kickoff defense.  Smolar had 23 touchbacks out of 64 kickoffs.  That needs to be almost double.  40+ touchbacks from 64 kickoffs is where we need that to be.

Great list, Leathernecks.  The QB competition is tough to gauge but I’m going to hazard a guess toward Penix.  He’s seen game speed before and has had a year studying at this level.   I hope we get the big play potential we need at that position, but also stability with proper reads and decisions which can be quite a feat at this level without significant experience. 

LB is fascinating.  We have several who I really like.  

One of my favorite players is Cam Jones.  He can be a monster.  He’s strong, fast, twitchy, aggressive,  mean, and doesn’t put up with crap from the other team.  He has the potential in my eyes to be a high NFL draft pick.  James Miller, Micah McFadden, Cam Williams, you could go on and on at the position.  

If you’ve got Ball, Fitzgerald, and Cam Jones out there together, watch out.  

Nothing earth shattering on my part. QB position drives most of college football...and all of football for that part. Until we nail that position down we'll continue to tinker with bowl eligibility. I'm putting my faith in coaches but running Ramsey out there again? He better have made huge improvements to warrant starting. 

Archived