Drive In Theaters

Drroogh

Man it's been since the early 70's since I went to a Drive In. Great times and memories of the Drive In's! The young'un's that never experienced it should look one of these up. I'm seriously thinking about doing a weekend adventure so I can go to the Starlight in Atlanta!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-coolest-retro-drive-in-movie-theaters-in-america/ss-AAFnr0W?ocid=spartanntp

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Anybody got some tips they want to share with those that may have never experienced it, and are considering a new experience?

Really don't have any tips for those that haven't experienced it.  You go the first time and then you will figure things out.

Shoot, when I was 10 years old, the only reason I even wanted a driver's license was so I could go to the drive in.

Dusk to Dawns were the best. The movies got a little shakey around 2 am, but Mom and Pop were asleep by then, and I was running amok on the playground.

Lawn chairs and blankets. Bring your own refreshments, as someone else mentioned. 

There is also a drive in on Hwy 8 between Auburn and Garrett.

I used to go to the Lincolndale on Goshen Road in Ft Wayne several times each summer. When we couldn’t afford admission, we’d sit in Franke Park and watch , trying to figure out the dialogue since we had no volume 

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lawn chairs and blankets. Bring your own refreshments, as someone else mentioned. 

There is also a drive in on Hwy 8 between Auburn and Garrett.

I used to go to the Lincolndale on Goshen Road in Ft Wayne several times each summer. When we couldn’t afford admission, we’d sit in Franke Park and watch , trying to figure out the dialogue since we had no volume 

When I was "under age"...we used to go fishing at Shock Lake, just N of North Webster on SR 13.  Come off the lake at dark...just in time to see what was showing at the Wawa.  Of course it was an X-rated drive-in theater...no dialogue required.  As we drank beer and swatted mosquitoes.

1 minute ago, rico said:

When I was "under age"...we used to go fishing at Shock Lake, just N of North Webster on SR 13.  Come off the lake at dark...just in time to see what was showing at the Wawa.  Of course it was an X-rated drive-in theater...no dialogue required.  As we drank beer and swatted mosquitoes.

All of the IU alums on here probably know about the drive in in Ellettsville. It was XXX or so I heard...🙂

I'm only about half an hour from the Harvest Moon drive in which was on the list.  Went to school with the people who run it.  Surprisingly I haven't been, but people who go always enjoy it. There used to be a Pizza Hut that was across the street, so most people grabbed a pizza and brought it with them.  I think they do charge a few bucks to bring in your own stuff, but I think some places don't charge.

• 10 months later...

When I was growing up, Clarksville IN had an X-Rated drive-in theater right along I-65.  Theater X.  The screen actually faced the highway.  Now, they had a wooden fence strategically built around the perimeter so that you could not really see anything substantive.  But you could catch glimpses of skin above and below the fence as well as when some of the wooden slats fell out of the fence.  There was never a large enough opening to actually see anything, but every 10-12 year old boy in the county with an imagination was intently looking that way every time they rode past it when there was a movie showing.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When I was growing up, Clarksville IN had an X-Rated drive-in theater right along I-65.  Theater X.  The screen actually faced the highway.  Now, they had a wooden fence strategically built around the perimeter so that you could not really see anything substantive.  But you could catch glimpses of skin above and below the fence as well as when some of the wooden slats fell out of the fence.  There was never a large enough opening to actually see anything, but every 10-12 year old boy in the county with an imagination was intently looking that way every time they rode past it when there was a movie showing.

The XXX drive in in Elletsville could be viewed from a certain overpass, and as long as you didn't care about the dialogue (😁) I guess that sufficed...

Or so I heard...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The XXX drive in in Elletsville could be viewed from a certain overpass, and as long as you didn't care about the dialogue (😁) I guess that sufficed...

Or so I heard...

Dialogue?  Never knew those movies had speaking parts.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Or so I heard...

I don’t think those are the kind of drive in’s trying to come back during Covid, then again?

Several drive ins were in business back in the day in Ft Wayne. All closed now. My sister got into major hell from my parents for taking me, her 12 year old brother, to see The Godfather at the Lincolndale on Goshen Road. I remember distinctly Appolonia — her not getting the days of the week in correct order— nothing else... certainly not that she was topless 😜

Archived