PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Mickleson will miss the cut in the first playoff event and is too low in the standings to move on.  Since he's turned 50, I guess next season he'll primarily play the Seniors Tour and we'll only see him at the Majors and other selected events.  Have to think he'll have a lot of success on the Senior Tour. 

I think Phil said post round he was playing next 2 Seniors/Champions tour events starting next week.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the weird part. It isn't. So many guys on tour are just this good when things get rolling they can't miss. Kind of like the Rod Wilmont game way back. I think DJ's 9 is all time record.

The pros are total machines.  Diet, workouts, equipment technologies, swing coaches etc etc etc.  The personalities are pretty much all business...which is what it is as in ALL pro sports anymore.  Very few Lee Trevino or Chi Chi Rodriguez types.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The pros are total machines.  Diet, workouts, equipment technologies, swing coaches etc etc etc.  The personalities are pretty much all business...which is what it is as in ALL pro sports anymore.

I tried walking on at IU but that was early 90's. With technology I'm playing my best golf ever. Hitting distances I couldn't imagine possible for me. Still comes down to putting though. Always has always will.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I tried walking on at IU but that was early 90's. With technology I'm playing my best golf ever. Hitting distances I couldn't imagine possible for me. Still comes down to putting though. Always has always will.

Was Sam Carmichael the coach then?

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Jean Van De Velde disagrees with you.

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Was Sam Carmichael the coach then?

Yep. Class guy. Shot me straight. I played a couple rounds...73 and 76 IIRC but he was real big on only having in state guys on the team....and honestly tons of guys were much better than me. I shot 74, 72, 69, 73, 75 in my last 5 rounds as a senior in Illinois. Had some interest from small colleges there but I knew I was going to IU no matter what. Tried walking on but didn't make it. Carmichael was as I said class guy. 

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

DJ firing on all cylinders today.

This is what we were talking about yesterday. DJ is just one of those maniacal hot/cold dudes. I mean he's 80+ a couple times this summer and now this?? Unreal play. 

Edit-He drops this one at 11 he's got a very legit chance of 57??

Edited by Seeking6

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Class guy. Shot me straight. I played a couple rounds...73 and 76 IIRC but he was real big on only having in state guys on the team....and honestly tons of guys were much better than me. I shot 74, 72, 69, 73, 75 in my last 5 rounds as a senior in Illinois. Had some interest from small colleges there but I knew I was going to IU no matter what. Tried walking on but didn't make it. Carmichael was as I said class guy. 

My first job ever was working for Sam and his brother Ron at Martinsville Country Club. Musta been the summer of 71. We'd (2 friends and I) heard through one of my friend's dad who played there a lot that they were hiring. We thought caddying or something.

Anyway, he hired all 3 of us. First day they told us they were building a new 9 holes. Put us on the tee box of a fairway that had just been cleared of trees, and gave us a screwdriver. Said, "Now crawl down the fairway and dig out all the sticks you find." We did that for about 4 weeks straight. Then we sifted sand for another 4. Brutal work out in the hot sun, but we were making .75 an hour (and getting our checks monthly!) and being fed lunch (2 hot dogs and a coke...every day) for almost 4 months...My old man thought I was crazy because my first check was $86 bucks, and I had him take me to that big sports store in Bloomington and bought a pair of red stripped Adidas Super Stars for $50 bucks...

Sam was a nice guy. Would give us pointers after we got done working, and would let us play for free. By mid simmer I had actually collected enough clubs that guys either threw or gave me to have a small set. Ah, childhood...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My first job ever was working for Sam and his brother Ron at Martinsville Country Club. Musta been the summer of 71. We'd (2 friends and I) heard through one of my friend's dad who played there a lot that they were hiring. We thought caddying or something.

Anyway, he hired all 3 of us. First day they told us they were building a new 9 holes. Put us on the tee box of a fairway that had just been cleared of trees, and gave us a screwdriver. Said, "Now crawl down the fairway and dig out all the sticks you find." We did that for about 4 weeks straight. Then we sifted sand for another 4. Brutal work out in the hot sun, but we were making .75 an hour (and getting our checks monthly!) and being fed lunch (2 hot dogs and a coke...every day) for almost 4 months...My old man thought I was crazy because my first check was $86 bucks, and I had him take me to that big sports store in Bloomington and bought a pair of red stripped Adidas Super Stars for $50 bucks...

Sam was a nice guy. Would give us pointers after we got done working, and would let us play for free. By mid simmer I had actually collected enough clubs that guys either threw or gave me to have a small set. Ah, childhood...

Wow. That's awesome stuff. MCC has always been a great track to play too! $50 for shoes? I have a hard time doing that now! Haha...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Watched some of it. I'm not a regular viewer of the Champions tour so not sure if it's customary to have that many short par 4's. That coupled with flat greens Phil made it look very easy.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

He should just stay there.  He can't really compete effectively with the younger guys on the regular tour.  His game just isn't consistent anymore.  He can wear sunglasses and chew gum and talk about the "bombs" he can hit, but his time on the tour has passed.  Sorry, Phil...you're old.

Edited by jv1972iu

On 8/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, 5fouls said:

Scottie Scheffler seems like the kind of guy you would want to sit by in a bar.  

I'm rolling with him in my pool this week. I know I should start DJ but this feels like the perfect DJ trap week. He knows he's good to go for East Lake (where I plan to take him) and might have a let down. 

Which of course DJ wins by 5 the way my pool has been going this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm rolling with him in my pool this week. I know I should start DJ but this feels like the perfect DJ trap week. He knows he's good to go for East Lake (where I plan to take him) and might have a let down. 

Which of course DJ wins by 5 the way my pool has been going this year.

I would go with Webb Simpson.  :coffee:

• Like 2