PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I played a round while on vacation in Michigan this summer.  Shot a 45 for 18 holes.  And, a damn tough miniature golf course it was.  

Sounds tough.  When I was a kid and we wnet to Hilton Head and they had a great minature golf coarse.  they actually had a par 5 on that course.  It was back in a jungle and it was really tough coarse.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Bryson Dechambeau hit driver wedge for an eagle on a 566 yard par 5. Unbelievable 

His -3 will be the lead after today. I'm 50/50 on Bryson. Wish he would pick the pace up a bit and a course like this can bite you very, very fast if he keeps the aggressive lines up. Rory had the lead after 1 and has gone bogey, bogey, double, bogey, par, bogey since. Has given 6 shots back in about 90 minutes. Can happen that quick with the guys who insist on hitting driver all day long.

13 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Spieth is a shadow of the player he was three years go.  Sergio seems like he's been coasting since he won the Masters in 2017.

Never cared much for Sergio so don't care if he comes back or goes away.

Regarding Spieth. I think Azinger mentioned this during broadcast but some of these guys become so analytical it causes their brain to freeze and forget how good they really are. I don't know if he needs to see a sports psychologist or just forget everything and just grip/rip. 

We've seen it before with Duval, Anthony Kim and others but man it's tough to watch.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never cared much for Sergio so don't care if he comes back or goes away.

Regarding Spieth. I think Azinger mentioned this during broadcast but some of these guys become so analytical it causes their brain to freeze and forget how good they really are. I don't know if he needs to see a sports psychologist or just forget everything and just grip/rip. 

We've seen it before with Duval, Anthony Kim and others but man it's tough to watch.

I'm glad that you mentioned Duval.  He is the guy that I think of when looking at Spieth's fall/slump.  I believe that Duval had some injuries, but the mental part of his game surely suffered as well.  I think it was Azinger (or one of the Golf Channel analysts) who said that Spieth needs to get away by himself and work on his game alone.  

• Like 1

Really looking forward to seeing what Wolff and DeChambeau do today at Winged Foot.  Huge pressure on them both.  Can they survive continuing to play from the rough??  Will Rory make a run?  Or will Oosthuizen quietly sneak up and win a second major?  😁  And there's Schauffele too.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot low and win today.

One really interesting point being talked about....who benefits and suffers from the lack of fans.  The young guys, rookies have to benefit in a major surely versus the established stars.

Edited by jv1972iu

16 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Really looking forward to seeing what Wolff and DeChambeau do today at Winged Foot.  Huge pressure on them both.  Can they survive continuing to play from the rough??  Will Rory make a run?  Or will Oosthuizen quietly sneak up and win a second major?  😁

If Wolff doesn't stumble I think only 5-6 guys have a shot and that's being generous. Now if Wolff bogeys a few early a few more enter the party.

Really wish the US Open folks would follow Augusta National's lead and moved these tee times up. I'll keep an eye on leaderboard but will be watching NFL today.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If Wolff doesn't stumble I think only 5-6 guys have a shot and that's being generous. Now if Wolff bogeys a few early a few more enter the party.

Really wish the US Open folks would follow Augusta National's lead and moved these tee times up. I'll keep an eye on leaderboard but will be watching NFL today.

I'm from Cincinnati... we don't have a NFL team.   😂  

No doubt that Wolff can win just like Morikawa at the PGA.  He benefits from the lack of a crowd, I believe.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He made it. Got the money and time spent working on his craft went down drastically 

You speaking of Sergio or Spieth?  I'm guessing you mean Sergio because Spieth appears to be in agony...and Sergio seems kinda "I'm good...got my major...and I'm 40, happy...life is good!"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

You speaking of Sergio or Spieth?  I'm guessing you mean Sergio because Spieth appears to be in agony...and Sergio seems kinda "I'm good...got my major...and I'm 40, happy...life is good!"

Spieth.  One of the golf experts was on 1070 a couple of weeks ago and JMV asked about Spieth and that was his response. He also said that happens with many of the guys once they reach the top. He thought that was part of the reason that Tiger was so good because he spent more time working on his game after he reached the top just to stay there. Nothing that I know just repeating what was said.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Spieth.  One of the golf experts was on 1070 a couple of weeks ago and JMV asked about Spieth and that was his response. He also said that happens with many of the guys once they reach the top. He thought that was part of the reason that Tiger was so good because he spent more time working on his game after he reached the top just to stay there. Nothing that I know just repeating what was said.

It could very well be true.  I don't know anything either.  But the few times that Spieth was shown during the first two rounds of the US Open he was, of course, struggling... and the visual dejection he showed was really striking.  He just seems to have lost his game...what made him successful.  Which sounds like what you heard.

Edited by jv1972iu

On 9/21/2020 at 10:27 AM, jv1972iu said:

It could very well be true.  I don't know anything either.  But the few times that Spieth was shown during the first two rounds of the US Open he was, of course, struggling... and the visual dejection he showed was really striking.  He just seems to have lost his game...what made him successful.  Which sounds like what you heard.

I feel like Spieth was too mechanical and too in his own head.  Even when he was playing well, he had different mannerisms and different things he'd do that would keep himself in check.  Things like sometimes looking at the hole on putts.  I always thought he seemed like a mental time bomb waiting to go off.  I think hitting 2 in the drink at the Masters a couple years ago was the tipping point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

In more local news (well, local for me), my boys team is 20-3 this year.  We have some end of the year tournaments coming up, so it will be interesting to see how we do.  Hoping to bring home some hardware this year.

I get to go on our local radio station next week to talk about our team, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Do you have any kids that will get the chance to play in college?

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I feel like Spieth was too mechanical and too in his own head.  Even when he was playing well, he had different mannerisms and different things he'd do that would keep himself in check.  Things like sometimes looking at the hole on putts.  I always thought he seemed like a mental time bomb waiting to go off.  I think hitting 2 in the drink at the Masters a couple years ago was the tipping point.

I tend to agree with you... especially his Masters moment.  While he managed to win The Open later, the loss of that Masters was the starting point of his downfall.