PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure it's the same everywhere but Golf Galaxy has this trade out program where I can buy a used club....take it for 7 or 14 days and keep trading in until you find one you like. Might start there. I've got my W-7 distances down pretty well.....it's just 2-3 courses I play around here (Plum Creek, Prairie View, River Glen) there's about 4-5 shots each round where I'm at 200 coming in (or I need 200 off tee to lay up) and have lost that distance on my 3/4 iron.

Guess that's why we love golf. Always tinkering around with things.

That is pretty nice to be able to keep trying different clubs for a week at a time. It seems like all the times I've tried clubs have been fun experiences. I got fit for a driver a handful of years ago, and I couldn't decide which one, so the guy took my to play 9 holes at Urbana Country Club. He even let me borrow one of his personal shirts because I just had a t-shirt on lol.

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That is pretty nice to be able to keep trying different clubs for a week at a time. It seems like all the times I've tried clubs have been fun experiences. I got fit for a driver a handful of years ago, and I couldn't decide which one, so the guy took my to play 9 holes at Urbana Country Club. He even let me borrow one of his personal shirts because I just had a t-shirt on lol.

Nice course! Haven't played it in years. When I was growing up state was at blue/orange course. Not sure if it's still there or not. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nice course! Haven't played it in years. When I was growing up state was at blue/orange course. Not sure if it's still there or not. 

It was really fun to play once!  State is in Bloomington now.

The blue/orange courses really went downhill.  Haven't played either one in about 5 years, but they were in rough shape.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to know if someone can explain to me. Why did Webb Simpson go to the first tee and WD there? If he knew his neck was an issue yesterday why the charade? Assuming sponsorship or maybe it counts as a start?

Have him in multiple leagues this week. Not happy.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Would love to know if someone can explain to me. Why did Webb Simpson go to the first tee and WD there? If he knew his neck was an issue yesterday why the charade? Assuming sponsorship or maybe it counts as a start?

Have him in multiple leagues this week. Not happy.

I wonder what Webb's caddy thinks?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Rory trying to win for first time since 2019.  One shot lead through twelve holes at Quail Hollow.

Incredible talent out there....but someone like Rory should never have this much time in between wins. Hopefully he goes back to playing his game instead of chasing length like some others.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Incredible talent out there....but someone like Rory should never have this much time in between wins. Hopefully he goes back to playing his game instead of chasing length like some others.

The 18th had him sweating...that's for sure.  But it was good to see him collect himself and make a big shot and two putts.  Now if he can just win at Augusta next year and Spieth maybe in a couple of weeks at Kiawah, then I'd be quite happy.  Like them both.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The 18th had him sweating...that's for sure.  But it was good to see him collect himself and make a big shot and two putts.  Now if he can just win at Augusta next year and Spieth maybe in a couple of weeks at Kiawah, then I'd be quite happy.  Like them both.   😊

I've been indifferent on both. Rory has grown on me over the years because I think he shoots stuff straight....but just goes to show how hard it is to win on the tour. Rory plays his most consistent golf for 4 rounds in a long time and wins by one. Tough tough tough competition out there.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty cool article as we head into PGA Championship week. Sad part is I know of one of the daughters and never knew this about them.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31438202/how-30-years-ago-unknown-john-daly-helped-family-dealing-tragedy

You can say a lot of things about John Daly, but the guy has a huge heart...

I remember watching him win the PGA...It was like some common guy rolled into town and shot the lights out...Amazing...

His ride has been bumpy, and he's been wrong on some things, but I always find myself cheering for him...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I remember watching him win the PGA...It was like some common guy rolled into town and shot the lights out...Amazing...

His ride has been bumpy, and he's been wrong on some things, but I always find myself cheering for him...

Same. I was at the 3rd round that year. Day of the infamous "almost penalty"...that could have cost him a title. You guessed it..3 idiots called it in from their homes and PGA had to investigate. I love golf but man...

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/08/10/Daly-almost-penalized-two-shots-at-PGA/8303681796800/

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, that's why so many weekend hackers loved him. Like Angel Cabrera chain smoking his way down the fairways to a win over Tiger in the US Open

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2007/06/19/cabrera-came-out-smoking/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If ever a leader board needed Phil at the top, it's this one.  Not sure anyone would be watching this weekend otherwise.

I don't have ESPN and have been outside getting garden in both of these days. Seems like one good round and you can move up 40 spots. Brooks just doing his thing again too. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't have ESPN and have been outside getting garden in both of these days. Seems like one good round and you can move up 40 spots. Brooks just doing his thing again too. 

Oosthuizen playing well has caught Mickelson through eleven.  Most everyone else just trying to hang close.  Not looking good for some big names...JT, DJ, Spieth to name a few.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Oosthuizen playing well has caught Mickelson through eleven.  Most everyone else just trying to hang close.  Not looking good for some big names...JT, DJ, Spieth to name a few.

I'm always amazed at Louis. Never a winner on US soil. Still one of those stats that just doesn't make sense. I noticed Rory is -2 on the day and has moved up 46 spots. One great round on the weekend could have someone winning. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm always amazed at Louis. Never a winner on US soil. Still one of those stats that just doesn't make sense. I noticed Rory is -2 on the day and has moved up 46 spots. One great round on the weekend could have someone winning. 

I think I heard announcer (don't know who) remind everyone that Louie has finished runner up in the three majors besides the Open Championship he won in 2010.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I think I heard announcer (don't know who) remind everyone that Louie has finished runner up in the three majors besides the Open Championship he won in 2010.

Cut line is +4 right now.  If that holds, Spieth lives to play the weekend.   Rory now even through 11.  Koepka eagles 11...5 under now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Cut line is +4 right now.  If that holds, Spieth lives to play the weekend.   Rory now even through 11.  Koepka eagles 11...5 under now.

Wind has been around 20mph most of the day with gusts pushing 25-30.  Less wind earlier which Mickelson was able to use to his advantage.