PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Koepka -4 through 17.   Mickelson and Oosthuizen tied at -5.

Actually a fun leaderboard because anyone who goes a couple under each round over the weekend might be a winner.  I haven't watched much yet but will be dialed in over the weekend. Have some big hitters within 7-8 shots. Shoot...Rory is 8 off and if he can figure out the driver he'll be within 1-2 come Sunday.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Actually a fun leaderboard because anyone who goes a couple under each round over the weekend might be a winner.  I haven't watched much yet but will be dialed in over the weekend. Have some big hitters within 7-8 shots. Shoot...Rory is 8 off and if he can figure out the driver he'll be within 1-2 come Sunday.

He hit the ball very well today, but couldn't make any putts.  Driver was fine today.  I don't expect Mickelson to hold on...but you never know.  Koepka looked much more like himself while DeChambeau faded late in his round.  Justin Thomas struggled with consistency.  Louie had a clean card until 18.  No bogey free rounds.

Edited by jv1972iu

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

First tee shot of the day for Rory. Water. Hole is 396 and he tries to get cute. These guys can hit 5 woods 300 yards. Just find dry ground and hit a sand wedge in. 

Rory simply unable to get any positive momentum going...shoots 2 over 74.  Spieth has a nice round...4 under 68.  He just doesn't look like he's fully found his game.  So many of the big names look like their games are suffering right now.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

He hit the ball very well today, but couldn't make any putts.  Driver was fine today.  I don't expect Mickelson to hold on...but you never know.  Koepka looked much more like himself while DeChambeau faded late in his round.  Justin Thomas struggled with consistency.  Louie had a clean card until 18.  No bogey free rounds.

Mickelson making everyone look silly...including me.   :)  But can he keep it going??

Edited by jv1972iu

Phil being Phil. Was paired with Phil one time. He 4 putted the first hole for double, 3 putted the 2nd  for bogey. Walking to the next tee he tells Bones, i don't feel like i have much today lets play to the center of the green and see what happens. Phil birded the next 7 holes, turns 4 under. Shot 3 under on the back for 65, starting 3 over.  Phil being Phil.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Phil being Phil. Was paired with Phil one time. He 4 putted the first hole for double, 3 putted the 2nd  for bogey. Walking to the next tee he tells Bones, i don't feel like i have much today lets play to the center of the green and see what happens. Phil birded the next 7 holes, turns 4 under. Shot 3 under on the back for 65, starting 3 over.  Phil being Phil.

Awesome stuff. Didn't know of your history in the game. I like Phil but will never love the guy. His on course strategies are so puzzling. Only guy I know that can do exactly the scenario you describe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Mickelson making everyone look silly...including me.   :)  But can he keep it going??

Yeah, he managed to make me feel I was correct.  No way is he winning this tournament.  Koepka in this situation would even beat the Grim Reaper.  JMHO.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

I expect Koepka to come out today and methodically roll over his competition.  It will be all business... nothing fancy.  Just Koepka making a controlled statement that he's very close to 100% healthy again...and when it comes to the majors, he actually is the guy to watch.

26 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I expect Koepka to come out today and methodically roll over his competition.  It will be all business... nothing fancy.  Just Koepka making a controlled statement that he's very close to 100% healthy again...and when it comes to the majors, he actually is the guy to watch.

Kind of what it feels like to me as well. As I said earlier in thread I like Phil and certainly wouldn't mind if he wins I just don't want him to lose it because of risky play. Make Brooks earn it and not have it handed to him. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kind of what it feels like to me as well. As I said earlier in thread I like Phil and certainly wouldn't mind if he wins I just don't want him to lose it because of risky play. Make Brooks earn it and not have it handed to him. 

It will be interesting to see how Oosthuizen plays too.  So far this year he leads everyone in strokes gained putting, but he just lost all feel yesterday.  Friday he was 7th out of 156 players, and yesterday he was 78th out of 81.  If he can get his putting back, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a run today.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It will be interesting to see how Oosthuizen plays too.  So far this year he leads everyone in strokes gained putting, but he just lost all feel yesterday.  Friday he was 7th out of 156 players, and yesterday he was 78th out of 81.  If he can get his putting back, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a run today.

Yep. It was funny because even Faldo was bringing it up yesterday with Louis....total loss of feel in the hands because he was coming up a good 4-6 feet short on what seemed like 6-7 putts in a row. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

LOL!!!  Freaking Mickelson.  Faldo invoking the golfing gods on his behalf.   😋

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Indykev said:

Does a bogey birdie bogey par birdie bogey birdie start seem about as Phil as gets?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Does a bogey birdie bogey par birdie bogey birdie start seem about as Phil as gets?

Koepka just not getting it done today.  Okay, I'm just going to say it.  I really don't care for Mickelson.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, KDB said:

Great win for golf. Awesome for Phil.

This.  Without Tiger, this is as big a victory as golf could have right now.  Phil's and Koepka's putts on 18 were the only shots I saw for the entire tournament.  And, it still felt special to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This.  Without Tiger, this is as big a victory as golf could have right now.  Phil's and Koepka's putts on 18 were the only shots I saw for the entire tournament.  And, it still felt special to me. 

And with a little training, diet, exercise....Phil's 366 yard drive on 16 wasn't shabby either. I think we still have 2-3 good years of Phil left and today no doubt inspired Big Cat. 

Kudos to Phil. The guy has a shadow he can never crawl out of but today he had a very, very special sports moment. Not just golf moment.

I dont know if anyone remembers the Ryder Cup being played on this course. Guys were shooting 90. I played it years ago, old equipment, with 3 club pro's , one played on tour for a few years, he finished 2nd once, so a good player. He lead our group at 112. I was a 3 or 4 handicap and shot 135. Compair I shot 74 at St.Andrews. That same year the guy that shot 112 shot 69 at Augusta National.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

I dont know if anyone remembers the Ryder Cup being played on this course. Guys were shooting 90. I played it years ago, old equipment, with 3 club pro's , one played on tour for a few years, he finished 2nd once, so a good player. He lead our group at 112. I was a 3 or 4 handicap and shot 135. Compair I shot 74 at St.Andrews. That same year the guy that shot 112 shot 69 at Augusta National.

Do you mind telling me how long ago this round was for the 112? It's a subject of great fascination to me and friends on what we would shoot with today's technology,etc...