PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Gotta admit, not a Phil fan. Listened to too many interviews. Just like Aaron Rodgers… always trying to prove he’s the smartest guy in the room.

IMO, what would be great for golf would be for Fowler to finally get off the schneid and win a major, and for Spieth to regain his swagger. Get some young guys to challenge Koepke and Dustin Johnson.

Nostalgia is good… to a point. Phil had his time. Couldn’t keep up with Tiger. Time to move onto the Senior Tour and let the next generation have their season 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Gotta admit, not a Phil fan. Listened to too many interviews. Just like Aaron Rodgers… always trying to prove he’s the smartest guy in the room.

IMO, what would be great for golf would be for Fowler to finally get off the schneid and win a major, and for Spieth to regain his swagger. Get some young guys to challenge Koepke and Dustin Johnson.

Nostalgia is good… to a point. Phil had his time. Couldn’t keep up with Tiger. Time to move onto the Senior Tour and let the next generation have their season 

I'm in total agreement with you.  Thanks!   😊  Got really sick of his little thumbs up act.   Arrogant a-hole.   Sorry!  😡

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, Seeking6 said:

Do you mind telling me how long ago this round was for the 112? It's a subject of great fascination to me and friends on what we would shoot with today's technology,etc...

Ryder Cup was in 91. We played it in 92' Daly had just won the PGA at the end of 91 and I was playing the Wilson Killer Whale. It was the start of the big head drivers. We were still using Bakata covered golf balls. Thats pretty close to when the golf ball started to change. Those balls would spin back 60 feet. Maxfi had the best ball and players at the time and then their plant in Japan burnt down and they left the golf business. I remember Fred Couples, Greg Norman and Nick Price all went to the Tour Edition gold ball. If you were paired with them you couldn't walk a head on the green because they couldnt control the spin and might bring it back 100 feet. lol. 3 of the best ball strikers of all time couldnt keep the ball on the green. Callaway took over the game after that and destroyed it the same year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Ryder Cup was in 91. We played it in 92' Daly had just won the PGA at the end of 91 and I was playing the Wilson Killer Whale. It was the start of the big head drivers. We were still using Bakata covered golf balls. Thats pretty close to when the golf ball started to change. Those balls would spin back 60 feet. Maxfi had the best ball and players at the time and then their plant in Japan burnt down and they left the golf business. I remember Fred Couples, Greg Norman and Nick Price all went to the Tour Edition gold ball. If you were paired with them you couldn't walk a head on the green because they couldnt control the spin and might bring it back 100 feet. lol. 3 of the best ball strikers of all time couldnt keep the ball on the green. Callaway took over the game after that and destroyed it the same year.

Wow. Awesome stuff. I played Slazenger back in those days...and honestly don't remember the reason why. I think I liked their spaced dimples. Haha. Thanks for sharing. Still amazed at those scoring numbers. I have a friend who is 2-3 handicap and we've talked often about Augusta and what we would shoot there. I tell him 90-95 at his best. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Awesome stuff. I played Slazenger back in those days...and honestly don't remember the reason why. I think I liked their spaced dimples. Haha. Thanks for sharing. Still amazed at those scoring numbers. I have a friend who is 2-3 handicap and we've talked often about Augusta and what we would shoot there. I tell him 90-95 at his best. 

Tee to green Augusta is nothing. Its the greens that get you. If it's not masters week they slow the greens down and you can play to your handicap.

The hardest Golf course i ever played was Isleworth CC where a lot of Pro's live. Where Tiger's ex did a 5fouls job with a 9 iron to his car....lol It was a event to raise money for Bruce Edwards, Tom Watson's old caddie who was fighting ALS. Chris DiMarco was my partner in alt-shot and we were playing a couple of guys who paid to play with us. The greens were so fast, Chris left me a 3 foot putt i hit the hole and he had 10 feet coming back. After the 3rd time i did it to him, he yelled at me, you know Tiger shot 57 here yesterday, its not that hard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Tee to green Augusta is nothing. Its the greens that get you. If it's not masters week they slow the greens down and you can play to your handicap.

The hardest Golf course i ever played was Isleworth CC where a lot of Pro's live. Where Tiger's ex did a 5fouls job with a 9 iron to his car....lol It was a event to raise money for Bruce Edwards, Tom Watson's old caddie who was fighting ALS. Chris DiMarco was my partner in alt-shot and we were playing a couple of guys who paid to play with us. The greens were so fast, Chris left me a 3 foot putt i hit the hole and he had 10 feet coming back. After the 3rd time i did it to him, he yelled at me, you know Tiger shot 57 here yesterday, its not that hard.

Was that Isleworth where Tiger went 59 with O'Meara and went hole in one next day on 2nd hole and Mark left before 97 Masters?

Appreciate you sharing this stuff. Especially thoughts on Augusta. I've always thought in my prime I could get around Augusta decently....but of course I've never putted on a car hood before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Was that Isleworth where Tiger went 59 with O'Meara and went hole in one next day on 2nd hole and Mark left before 97 Masters?

Appreciate you sharing this stuff. Especially thoughts on Augusta. I've always thought in my prime I could get around Augusta decently....but of course I've never putted on a car hood before. 

I played Erin Hills the year before they hosted the US Open. Our caddy that day said the greens were really similar to what they were going to play during the open. Got a whole new respect for the conditions those guys play in every week. I was pumped to shoot a 97, and that was at an "easy" US Open course.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Indykev said:

Love your stories Kev.  Keep sharing 'em

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The cicada noise at this week's Memorial tournament is incredible.

PGA bit off a bit more noise this week. I won't  say what I want to say because that's our world but what happened today to Rahm is absolutely disgraceful. Any first year 8th grader (yes intended) could punch about 5 holes in the logic. From testing to who gets tested....why they get tested.....not to mention the 25k fans who have followed him around the past 48 hours who didn't get tested or prove they were.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

PGA bit off a bit more noise this week. I won't  say what I want to say because that's our world but what happened today to Rahm is absolutely disgraceful. Any first year 8th grader (yes intended) could punch about 5 holes in the logic. From testing to who gets tested....why they get tested.....not to mention the 25k fans who have followed him around the past 48 hours who didn't get tested or prove they were.

I stopped watching on 17 and was stunned when I saw the headline an hour later.  He absolutely had the tournament in the bag.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Dan Patrick giving the PGA hell for how they handled the situation.

Rightfully so. I'm a Rahm fan before this happened and even more now. So many inconsistencies in how the PGA handled his entire week.

With that said I expect the vaccine numbers to go up on tour. Rahm cost himself and his team/staff millions by not getting vaccinated. I'm not a vaccine guy but I got one....and reading the rules by the PGA if you get a vaccine you won't be tested at events. I'd eliminate that risk in a second. 

• Like 1

He kind of flamed a bit on back 9 yesterday but really pulling for Tain Lee today. For those that don't follow this guy had to qualify to get a chance to qualify this past Monday just to get a chance to make tourney. 

Monday Q Info (@acaseofthegolf1) is a great follow on Twitter. Shares many of the stories that people never realize how much $ and effort is put on behind the scenes just to get a shot at qualifying for a tourney.

US Open....round one not yet finished, but Koepka in fine position at 2 under.  Right now Louie O at -4 and Rahm looking good thru 15 along with Matsuyama, both -2.  DJ hanging in at even par while Spieth once more implodes at +5 and Mickelson whines away at +4.  Sorry you hate the course redesign, Phil.  Suck it!   😂

Edited by jv1972iu

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Is it me, or is NBC really the worst network to watch golf on?

I prefer CBS.  Part of the issue this weekend is that Mike Tirico is doing the Olympic Trials.  He's usually solid at everything he calls., so the U.S. open is definitely missing him.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

DeChambeau's implosion was a sight to behold.

I thought I saw Koepka lurking in the gallery with a rag doll wearing Puma gear and some pins...

Rahm's putts on 17 and 18 were big time clutch...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I prefer CBS.  Part of the issue this weekend is that Mike Tirico is doing the Olympic Trials.  He's usually solid at everything he calls., so the U.S. open is definitely missing him.   

Funny thing is I don't much care for Nantz, but I love him calling golf.  And yes, Mike is a favorite of mine no matter what he calls.

• Like 2