PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

image.png.02a530e8e1da72ed6d82c5ed051802bc.png

Sounds like this anonymous source is being a mouthpiece as a favor to the PGA.  Money grab . . . lose interest . . . leave the game better . . . a shady government with a questionable record.

Sheesh.  That lays it on pretty thick.

How about the PGA wants to maintain a stranglehold on their rich monopoly (new media rights just signed for $7 billion), and are treating players like strike-breaking scabs?

I think there are some old-school PGA board members who are taking a "we'll show them who's boss" approach.  Not a great idea.  When you try to control someone and tell them "there's nothing you can do about it" you're just asking for trouble.

Imagine if China aligns with the Saudis and doubles all the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Without diving into the world and subjects we shouldn't discuss on here. I'll just say this. The Saudi's have entered Auto Sports, Soccer, and now Golf. Seems to me the next generation of leadership there is trying to soften their image via sports. 

King Fahd of Saudi Arabia | Unofficial Royalty

• Like 1

Its the PGA tour being greedy and only the players are taking the hit for it. They have given waviers to play other tours forever. Now they say no? You have to play 15 tour events to keep your card and collect retirement points. I dont see the big deal really of giving 8 waviers as long as the players play their 15 events. The Tour is fighting a battle they will lose in the end. By next season the tour will be asking themselves what did we do. Norman has 3 Billion, Thats with a B, to sign players over the next 3 years. The Tour would be better off working with LIV by saying no tournaments, on this week, that week or this week and we'll give the waviers. Instead they are going to play hardball and maybe lose everything in court and they wont have no control on where players play and how much. Not to mention their non-profit status.

• Like 2

Has anyone here bought new irons or drivers/woods in the last year or so? I'm a mid handicapper. I'll go to a fitter whenever I pull the trigger obviously, but have interest in the G425s, P790s, and Stealths. Probably less interested in the Stealths because I don't hit hybrids well and would prefer to get longer irons over hybrids. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Has anyone here bought new irons or drivers/woods in the last year or so? I'm a mid handicapper. I'll go to a fitter whenever I pull the trigger obviously, but have interest in the G425s, P790s, and Stealths. Probably less interested in the Stealths because I don't hit hybrids well and would prefer to get longer irons over hybrids. 

Try ordering right from the manufacturers sight. you can get the long irons over hybrids. I have a 2 iron in the bag right now. I dont know if you like Ben Hogan Irons but they offer great deals and you can order your spec's. while cutting out the middle man.

Edited by Indykev
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Indykev said:

Its the PGA tour being greedy and only the players are taking the hit for it. They have given waviers to play other tours forever. Now they say no? You have to play 15 tour events to keep your card and collect retirement points. I dont see the big deal really of giving 8 waviers as long as the players play their 15 events. The Tour is fighting a battle they will lose in the end. By next season the tour will be asking themselves what did we do. Norman has 3 Billion, Thats with a B, to sign players over the next 3 years. The Tour would be better off working with LIV by saying no tournaments, on this week, that week or this week and we'll give the waviers. Instead they are going to play hardball and maybe lose everything in court and they wont have no control on where players play and how much. Not to mention their non-profit status.

Totally agree.

The PGA has also opened itself up to an anti-trust lawsuit.  Which it will lose. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pga-tour-legal-challenges-suspending-liv-participants

• Like 1

Happy for my friend Pat Perez for cashing in. I got a call from an Agent 22 years ago to caddy for a rookie in his first Buy.com tour event. Because of the money offered I said yes and it was for Pat. You can tell by the sound what kind of ball striker a player is. After 5 mins, i knew Pat Would have a long career. I had a job at the time and set Pat up with a friend going forward, and they have worked together for 21 years. I compare Pat to John Daly in a lot of ways.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Totally agree.

The PGA has also opened itself up to an anti-trust lawsuit.  Which it will lose. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pga-tour-legal-challenges-suspending-liv-participants

Its only a matter of time before this heads to court. Entrance into majors are off PGA Tour, Fed ex cup points and world rankings. When that effects things thats when the stuff hits the fan. World Ranking points are based off of 72 hole events not 54 so i'm not sure how LIV would ever be a part of that. The Masters out come plays a huge roll in how fast this goes to court.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Plus 2 seems to be a popular score early in Round 1 of the U.S. Open for the LIV mob.  

image.png.2a9f9e43866446045a8af5a414a2fa0a.png

I'm still trying to get a feel for things of what is good today besides even. Novak just had a great side (-3 after 9) and it all went bad at 10 with a triple. 

Always been mixed on US Open. I love the challenge...I also don't like seeing a ball roll off the green and disappear into rough. I know it's the same for all but just has always made me 50/50 on it.

Either way great start to the week. Lots of big names with solid starts. I'm heavy on the usual suspects this week (JT, Rory, Rahm...but was surprised Morikawa (55 year old thinking wise in a 25 year old body) wasn't getting more discussion. He loves tactical play and that's perfect for any US Open.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, Seeking6 said:

I'm still trying to get a feel for things of what is good today besides even. Novak just had a great side (-3 after 9) and it all went bad at 10 with a triple. 

Always been mixed on US Open. I love the challenge...I also don't like seeing a ball roll off the green and disappear into rough. I know it's the same for all but just has always made me 50/50 on it.

Either way great start to the week. Lots of big names with solid starts. I'm heavy on the usual suspects this week (JT, Rory, Rahm...but was surprised Morikawa (55 year old thinking wise in a 25 year old body) wasn't getting more discussion. He loves tactical play and that's perfect for any US Open.

The way this has gone today...it's anybody's guess, but this Open is up for grabs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toonsquad said:

Fitz was absolutely awesome yesterday. Hitting 17 greens on a Sunday at the US Open when the rough was as penal as it was. That was some big boy golf. He obviously loves Brookline.

The shot from the fairway bunker on 17 was clutch...so good in that moment.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

Brooks is moving to LIV. That one ticks me off actually. Sounds like PGA is magically coming up with 3 huge tournaments in the fall for $25M each? 

With the exception of Tiger's greatest run....or whenever he's on actually.....the tour has never been this full of so many great players. Hope they get a handle on things quickly. Whichever way they decide....but if the guys think they can still play in the majors and earn 9 figures for what amounts to a club tourney I can see that being very appealing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Brooks is moving to LIV. That one ticks me off actually. Sounds like PGA is magically coming up with 3 huge tournaments in the fall for $25M each? 

With the exception of Tiger's greatest run....or whenever he's on actually.....the tour has never been this full of so many great players. Hope they get a handle on things quickly. Whichever way they decide....but if the guys think they can still play in the majors and earn 9 figures for what amounts to a club tourney I can see that being very appealing.

Not really surprising, since DJ and Brooks' brother have joined.  Does LIV want to limit the number of players for each event?  There were 48 for the first one, but more players have joined.  So how does that affect the payouts and team play, I wonder, going forward.  I thought the idea was a "super league" with the best players in the world.  So, does Norman have to invite a player to join?  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

This is beginning to feel like how the original USFL did.  Big names such as Herschel Walker and Steve Young followed the money, and then the whole house of cards fell down.

Yes, I get the Saudi's have unlimited money.  But, it's still just exhibition golf, a watered down version of the original. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Koepka has always been a blowhard.  Does not surprise me in the least.  That said, he is the one guy who has jumped that you can still categorize as being in his prime.  All the other guys, DJ included, have seen their best days in the past.  Without an influx of rising talent the LIV has no long term future.  Maybe you could make an argument for Ancer, but I'm not even sure he's ever won in tour.

The PGA will be just fine as long as they keep guys like Rory, JT, Speith, Scheffler, Morikawa, and Schauflee through their prime.  And, of course Tiger is the single biggest difference maker, even if he only plays a few times a year 

• Like 1