PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Koepka has always been a blowhard.  Does not surprise me in the least.  That said, he is the one guy who has jumped that you can still categorize as being in his prime.  All the other guys, DJ included, have seen their best days in the past.  Without an influx of rising talent the LIV has no long term future.  Maybe you could make an argument for Ancer, but I'm not even sure he's ever won in tour.

The PGA will be just fine as long as they keep guys like Rory, JT, Speith, Scheffler, Morikawa, and Schauflee through their prime.  And, of course Tiger is the single biggest difference maker, even if he only plays a few times a year 

Tour will be just fine for sure. Admittedly I'm a Brooks fan. I love his style of just going out there and beating the guys brains in like he did at 4 majors. 

PGA though is coming out with a new series with big purse for those in top 50 or something like that. Dates will be throughout the calendar year and if I'm a betting man....those dates of events will be opposite of LIV dates. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Brooks is moving to LIV. That one ticks me off actually. Sounds like PGA is magically coming up with 3 huge tournaments in the fall for $25M each? 

With the exception of Tiger's greatest run....or whenever he's on actually.....the tour has never been this full of so many great players. Hope they get a handle on things quickly. Whichever way they decide....but if the guys think they can still play in the majors and earn 9 figures for what amounts to a club tourney I can see that being very appealing.

Its not a club tourney, its a NEW tour. Let me ask all of you guys that are having issues with this. Did you care that the PGA Tour upped the purses and made it very easy for the European tour players to join the PGA Tour and leave the euro Tour? That lead to Bankrupting that tour? They came because of the money. Do you think if Rory, Rahm and whatever other name you throw in there, played 100% in Europe that tour goes Bankrupt? Hell no. The guys going to LIV are no different than what happened with the PGA Tour 25 years ago. Not to mention the Euro's taking up 40 spots a week that a young American could have made his way, that never got a shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Tour will be just fine for sure. Admittedly I'm a Brooks fan. I love his style of just going out there and beating the guys brains in like he did at 4 majors. 

PGA though is coming out with a new series with big purse for those in top 50 or something like that. Dates will be throughout the calendar year and if I'm a betting man....those dates of events will be opposite of LIV dates. 

The Pga Tour found $160 million lying around for 8 events in the fall for the top 50. Everyone else will be playing in events opposite to keep their cards for the next year. No more wrap around season, going back to calendar year finish. So much for protecting current sponsors.

6 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Not really surprising, since DJ and Brooks' brother have joined.  Does LIV want to limit the number of players for each event?  There were 48 for the first one, but more players have joined.  So how does that affect the payouts and team play, I wonder, going forward.  I thought the idea was a "super league" with the best players in the world.  So, does Norman have to invite a player to join?  

It will be the best 48 entered that week. Some guys that played week 1 are out. Teams are picked over each event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

It will be the best 48 entered that week. Some guys that played week 1 are out. Teams are picked over each event.

Who makes the determination on the best 48?   Norman?  And once you're pushed out...who knows what you do to get back in.  PGA isn't going to help you.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Who makes the determination on the best 48?   Norman?  And once you're pushed out...who knows what you do to get back in.  PGA isn't going to help you.

World ranking decides who is in after commitments. European Tour hasnt suspended anyone they can play there so far. D.Johnson has applied to play that Tour.

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

The Pga Tour found $160 million lying around for 8 events in the fall for the top 50.

Haha, they should have looked under the sofa cushions for extra change.  Saved everyone the trouble.

Phil said the PGA would pay more.  He was 100% correct.  It just happened faster than most thought.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pga-tour-liv-golf-proposed-schedule-changes-purse-increases

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

Haha, they should have looked under the sofa cushions for extra change.  Saved everyone the trouble.

Phil said the PGA would pay more.  He was 100% correct.  It just happened faster than most thought.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pga-tour-liv-golf-proposed-schedule-changes-purse-increases

There will be only a hand full of the top 50 play any of those events after the first couple. After playing a full season those guys are beat up and want their time off. There will be guys that finished 120 on the money list getting in. People calling LIV a club tourney, this is worse. Its called the silly season for a reason they were events guys would go to for a couple of days to get away from their wife. Skills challenge, Shark shoot out, Hero, events like that. They will have to go away for them to add 8 events after the season is over, i would think. Guys just aren't going to play 15 to 18 events, 4 majors, 2 or 3 outside the country and then tee it up 8 times in their off season. The tour is killing themselves.

@Indykev

I realize you obviously have a more first-person perspective on this issue than I could ever hope to have.  But, as a fan of the game without knowing everything that goes on behind closed doors, I truly do not see where anyone can spin this in a manner to make it good for the sport.  The best sporting events are when the best compete against the best.  When that can't happen, the sport suffers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

There will be only a hand full of the top 50 play any of those events after the first couple. After playing a full season those guys are beat up and want their time off. There will be guys that finished 120 on the money list getting in. People calling LIV a club tourney, this is worse. Its called the silly season for a reason they were events guys would go to for a couple of days to get away from their wife. Skills challenge, Shark shoot out, Hero, events like that. They will have to go away for them to add 8 events after the season is over, i would think. Guys just aren't going to play 15 to 18 events, 4 majors, 2 or 3 outside the country and then tee it up 8 times in their off season. The tour is killing themselves.

I think the golfers want the extra $160 million (or more), but they want the money just added to the existing tour, not in return for playing 8 new events in the off-season.  Eight is a lot.

The PGA has misplayed this from the start.  They should take a mulligan, admit they were wrong, and play on.

Edited by Madison22

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

@Indykev

I realize you obviously have a more first-person perspective on this issue than I could ever hope to have.  But, as a fan of the game without knowing everything that goes on behind closed doors, I truly do not see where anyone can spin this in a manner to make it good for the sport.  The best sporting events are when the best compete against the best.  When that can't happen, the sport suffers

I totally agree Fouls, its terrible for the sport. Thats why I dont understand why the tour wont let them play both. They have given releases to play other tours for ever. The Tour made the players choose and they did. They aren't listening to the players as you can see by adding 8 events at the end of the year. The players want to play less not more. I traveled 40 plus weeks a year. Its hard on you. Guys careers are like running backs in the NFL because of the way the game is played. I worked for Bill Glasson and he lead the tour in driving distance at 302 that year. We were talking 8 years later and he said guess what my driving distance is, 302, he said i'm 92nd on tour. The USGA let the equipment get so out of hand you get guys like Bryson just trying to rip the cover off and getting hurt. Look at all the injuries Tiger has had. My Point is, these guys have shorter earning windows than before, get the money where ever it comes from. By the way. You only get the top players all playing in maybe 10 events all year. They were jumping up and down for the field in Canada and they only had 11 of the top 50. Norman said he has called the commission several times to work together on something but he wont take his calls. From what i'm hearing is Poulter will be the first to take the tour to court. The Saudi blood money is a dead issue, 23 PGA Tour sponsors have taken $40 billion from the Saudi's. I would like nothing more than 2 see them playing where ever they want to. If you play both, you still have to play your 15 tour events then play all the LIV you want.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

The Saudi blood money is a dead issue, 23 PGA Tour sponsors have taken $40 billion from the Saudi's.

When the PGA commissioner held his press conferences, he had a bottle of Dasani water next to him, facing the cameras.  Dasani is a PGA sponsor, and pays for such promotion.

The irony is he did this while vilifying the players for being selfish and grabbing money.  The commissioner also makes $4 million per year.

These two facts seem trivial, but they won't in a lawsuit in front of a jury.  They completely undermine his credibility regarding the players being greedy, which he used as justification for suspension.  When it was the commissioner himself who was grabbing money and "being greedy" for all to see. 

Lawsuits can pivot on such small things.

b25lY21zOjg1NTYxZDQ0LWQ3ZmUtNDc4MC04MjRk

• Like 1

Jay Monahan getting his ass handed to him on twitter and other outlets this morning. Phil was right the whole time. If you have 160 mill laying around, how much more is there that should be going to the players? Good to see some of the profits from the non-profit come out of hiding and going to the players. But once again however the rich get richer as in true tour fashion only care about the top 70.

• Like 1

Here are the changes to the tour just announced by Jay Monahan. schudule will run Jan to August to determine top 70 with the last 3 weeks being the FEDEX cup playoffs. With purses being increased to 20 to 25 million up from 12 million for 8 tournaments through out the year.. The fall events will determine who keeps their cards for the next season. Adding 3 international events in the fall for top 50 players. thats how Monahan is getting the European tour to go along. The European Tour players board wants to work with LIV so the jury is still out on that. So not 8 at the end, only 3 new events and purse increases at the 8 most played events by the top players. The top 70 can also play in the fall events if they want.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

@Indykev

It is no different than when the American Basketball Association started in the 1967. Competition is good for business. Look at the NCAA and their monopoly. It will all work out in the end. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

It is no different than when the American Basketball Association started in the 1967. Competition is good for business. Look at the NCAA and their monopoly. It will all work out in the end. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. 54-hole golf and small fields are not good for the game.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. 54-hole golf and small fields are not good for the game.   

You do know that 54 holes under PGA Tour rules constitutes an official event. So the American Express events featuring the top 50 or the Tour Championship with 30 players arent good for the game? How about limited field events like Arnie and Jacks Tournaments? They dont field the normal 156. You are just nitpicking now. 😉

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Just like the 3 point shot, red, white and blue ball and the slam dunk contest wasn't good for basketball. 

Besides, half the field only plays 36 holes and is sent packing with no compensation.

Edited by jefftheref

John Deere Classic up on the docket this week. Probably my personal bias (play the course each year, family was involved with Deere for years) but I always get a kick out of fans who say the smaller tournaments don't matter. 

1 win on the Tour means so much. Besides the $, the exemptions, invites to majors,etc..... I'm really hoping that this is the week for Patrick Rodgers from Avon, Indiana. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First of many court rulings going to the players with the guys getting a stay to play this week. Tommy Fleetwood and Henrick Stenson are next. Stenson will give up the Rider Cup Captain duties, very telling. Rory calling for all sides to sit down. Also saw a rumor they are going to start a LIV womens tour with the same purses as the men. That would be the end of the LPGA tour if that happens.

After this last major many guys will join LIV.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, Madison22 said:

When the PGA commissioner held his press conferences, he had a bottle of Dasani water next to him, facing the cameras.  Dasani is a PGA sponsor, and pays for such promotion.

The irony is he did this while vilifying the players for being selfish and grabbing money.  The commissioner also makes $4 million per year.

These two facts seem trivial, but they won't in a lawsuit in front of a jury.  They completely undermine his credibility regarding the players being greedy, which he used as justification for suspension.  When it was the commissioner himself who was grabbing money and "being greedy" for all to see. 

Lawsuits can pivot on such small things.

b25lY21zOjg1NTYxZDQ0LWQ3ZmUtNDc4MC04MjRk

Product placement is one of the least recognized advertising strategies. It's everywhere in movies and sporting events. Everything is, and always has been, about the money.

The Open this week. Can't wait to see how this plays out with how firm St. Andrews is. I saw videos on twitter of guys bouncing their ball off the fairway and catching it. 

Seems to be a ton of chatter about how low the guys will go....but I also started asking myself this. If it's as dry and firm as it is....guys are going to be rolling their balls over the greens and still having to get up and down in some cases.

I'm loading up on Fanduel this week. Fitzpatrick, Zalatoris, and Fleetwood will have a piece of all my cards. 

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The Open this week. Can't wait to see how this plays out with how firm St. Andrews is. I saw videos on twitter of guys bouncing their ball off the fairway and catching it. 

Seems to be a ton of chatter about how low the guys will go....but I also started asking myself this. If it's as dry and firm as it is....guys are going to be rolling their balls over the greens and still having to get up and down in some cases.

I'm loading up on Fanduel this week. Fitzpatrick, Zalatoris, and Fleetwood will have a piece of all my cards. 

Looking forward to it.  My favorite tournament of the year. WFH this week because I'm still Covid positive, so it being Open week is a good development.  As an extra benefit, the wife and kids are going to be out of town this weekend.   Get to watch without distraction.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toonsquad said:

Has anyone on here ordered directly from Titleist recently? I just order 4 custom Vokey wedges and it says the lead time is currently 8 weeks for wedges. I was curious if that was fairly accurate or if anyone has had a different experience of late. 

I’m a promotional products distributor, so I order logo’d gold balls frequently for my customers. Everything coming out of the Titleist factory is a mess right. It’s not only them…it seems to be about everybody. In normal times Titleist ran 5 days production time. They were extended to 3 weeks at the beginning of the year, then 6-8 weeks, and now 8-10 weeks. Like everybody I think they are short staffed and then combine that with the increased spring demand. 

….same old story these days. 

• Like 2