PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2022/08/01/liv-golf-invitational-series-donald-trump-meaningless-exhibition/10208253002/

The third LIV Golf exhibition happened this past weekend in New Jersey at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster where somebody won the tournament and took home a lot of money.

I'm sure some teams also won a good chunk of money for getting the best scores.

Oh, and other players who didn't come close to winning still likely won a bunch of money, too.

All of that is probably forgotten now by most sports fans because what happens at LIV Golf events really doesn't matter. There is no meaning to any of it. They are watered down exhibitions played over three days with no cut and no reason to care who lifts a trophy on the final day.

There is no spark. There is no history. There is nothing that comes even remotely close to connecting fans with the players because how is one supposed to care at all about some golfer winning more money for their bank account?

Why not incorporate a few trick shot holes?  Think Tin Cup.  Or longest drive...closest to the pin.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm really trying to stay away from the whole LIV golf thing. I think it's not worth my energy. It's their choice and cool....go get your $. I get it.

To turn around and now sue the PGA.....haha. Less respect now for the guys even more who are suing to be a part of the Fedex.

To jam this up the PGA during this time? Will make the division even more....but more so now between the players. Whoever is handling the Saudi/PGA players PR piece on this move must have went to University of Phoenix. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm really trying to stay away from the whole LIV golf thing. I think it's not worth my energy. It's their choice and cool....go get your $. I get it.

To turn around and now sue the PGA.....haha. Less respect now for the guys even more who are suing to be a part of the Fedex.

To jam this up the PGA during this time? Will make the division even more....but more so now between the players. Whoever is handling the Saudi/PGA players PR piece on this move must have went to University of Phoenix. 

Seems unnecessary.  And, will create huge friction among the players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Why just because you dont like it? They are independent contractors and have earned the right to play. Don't pay attention to DL3, he's just pissed his career is over and he cant cash in.

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Seems unnecessary.  And, will create huge friction among the players.

You guys dont seem to understand 80%  of players want to go to LIV. If LIV went to  full field events, 72 holes with a cut, the PGA Tour would be over. Davis Love running his mouth about a player boycott is the dumbest thing ever said.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You guys dont seem to understand 80%  of players want to go to LIV. If LIV went to  full field events, 72 holes with a cut, the PGA Tour would be over. Davis Love running his mouth about a player boycott is the dumbest thing ever said.

I'm sure there are many that want to go and simply have not been invited.  But, lawsuits against the PGA for the benefit of guys who did leave at this point is only going to run salt in that wound.  It's going to create friction, a lot of it, and in my mind is unnecessary.

Those players made the choice to leave for the money.  How/Why they think the PGA owes them anything is beyond me.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Why just because you dont like it? They are independent contractors and have earned the right to play. Don't pay attention to DL3, he's just pissed his career is over and he cant cash in.

Truer words never spoken. They are independent contractors and have earned the right to play. Go do it. But don't go and take the loot and expect an it's ok response from independent fans like myself. 

PS...I don't pay attention to DL3 for my opinions. My brain works just fine. I will say this though. Lots of emotional folks out there right now. Just like with everything else in the world....people live in their own echo chamber. If I don't agree with a certain side I must be the enemy. 

Back to the real tour. This week at Wyndham. Zalatoris seems to be the frontrunner on picks...I'll have some exposure to him for sure but really liking Horschel, Im, Kim (both), Kisner...and probably Harman. For those in Fanduel leagues wanting a cheap option. Ryan Moore. Phenomenal course history and only $7600. Good luck to all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stop and think about this for a moment using a 'real world' example outside of professional sports.

• I leave ABC Company to go to XYZ mid-year for significantly more guaranteed money.
  • I subsequently sue ABC Company because they don't invite me back for the year-end Christmas party.
  • Kind of points out how absurd this is, doesn't it?   
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Stop and think about this for a moment using a 'real world' example outside of professional sports.

• I leave ABC Company to go to XYZ mid-year for significantly more guaranteed money.
  • I subsequently sue ABC Company because they don't invite me back for the year-end Christmas party.
  • Kind of points out how absurd this is, doesn't it?   

Doesnt fit here because players arent employees of the PGA Tour. They earned their way. Like every other player.

47 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Doesnt fit here because players arent employees of the PGA Tour. They earned their way. Like every other player.

Then they should not compare their compensation to MLB, NBA, and NFL players who are employees. A MLB player cant play for the Yankees one week and then go play in Japan the next.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Then they should not compare their compensation to MLB, NBA, and NFL players who are employees. A MLB player cant play for the Yankees one week and then go play in Japan the next.

Maybe they should have compared their compensation to the WNBA?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The point they are making is the tour is holding back earning potential by comparing. The tours revenue increased 165% while purses went up 2.6%. Where's the money. This is what Phil has been talking about from the start. A non-profit, the tour is sitting on all of this cash and not giving it to the players, where it belongs.

THe suit is showing by the tour not letting players play both they are keeping them from earning more money.

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

The hearing is set for August 9 at 4 p.m. ET in California. These LIV Golfers are all seeking a temporary restraining order to play next week's FedEx Cup Playoff event in Memphis, which begins two days later.

The will probably win, only because courts these days tend to side against 'the establishment'.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:06 PM, Indykev said:

The point they are making is the tour is holding back earning potential by comparing. The tours revenue increased 165% while purses went up 2.6%. Where's the money. This is what Phil has been talking about from the start. A non-profit, the tour is sitting on all of this cash and not giving it to the players, where it belongs.

THe suit is showing by the tour not letting players play both they are keeping them from earning more money.

I just have a hard time feeling sorry for millionaires...

• Like 2