PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's always been my problem. Some random from a couch can call in things. 

Found out a tour official was watching the replay at 11:30pm late night and saw the penalty. They were going to let it go but they showed it to Cam and he said it was on the line and took the penalty.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Craziest playoff in history.

If you don't mind sharing. Do you go to Straka maybe not on first one but second and say I want this ball 25 center of green left. Don't even mess with the side????

To see the ball bouncing on wall....unreal for both. Really happy for Will. He's been a favorite of mine.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If you don't mind sharing. Do you go to Straka maybe not on first one but second and say I want this ball 25 center of green left. Don't even mess with the side????

To see the ball bouncing on wall....unreal for both. Really happy for Will. He's been a favorite of mine.

He swung and I yelled what are you doing!!! No way you go at that flag but thats where he lined up. Right at the pin. As soon as he knew where his opponent was his caddie should have stepped in with a target 30 feet left. But thats  why the guy had missed 6 straight cuts. I thought Will's caddie won him that playoff, talking him into pitching out on 18 and then going back to the circle on the last.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

He swung and I yelled what are you doing!!! No way you go at that flag but thats where he lined up. Right at the pin. As soon as he knew where his opponent was his caddie should have stepped in with a target 30 feet left. But thats  why the guy had missed 6 straight cuts. I thought Will's caddie won him that playoff, talking him into pitching out on 18 and then going back to the circle on the last.

I was getting nervous for Will there too. He kept looking and looking and I'm like get yourself to the drop zone Will....it almost got to the point I was waiting for the crowd to start yelling drop zone drop zone,etc....

• Like 1

Signing off for a couple of days. Every year a group of friends/I get together and play all 4 courses at Cog Hill outside Chicago. Recently the BMW was rotated there but forever in my heart will be The Western Open. Pray for my accuracy and may the golfing Gods allow me to land the ball on the good side of the hole so I'm not 3 putting my way around the joint again. 

This weeks picks for BMW in Delaware. Staying with the hot hands....Zalatoris, Finau, Kim...but adding Morikawa and Wise to some tickets. Good luck to all and can't wait to hear about Tiger's meeting with the crew.

• Like 6

Good to see the PGA players coming together to discuss.  

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-liv-golf-bmw-2022

The tour has a scheduled Player Advisory Council meeting this afternoon, but Woods will be part of a separate, smaller meeting comprising the sport’s best players and its marquee attractions, multiple sources have told Golf Digest. It is believed the conversation will focus on what the players and the tour can do to combat the threat of the fledgling rival circuit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I mean…there was a golf tournament yesterday….or day before? The avg fan only cares about the majors. There is no difference in the John Deere Classic and whatever LIV tournament in my eyes. I’m a sports fan that will watch anything but I don’t hear anyone really making a fuss about last weekends tournament. Sure I don’t hear anything about the LIV Tour as well but I honestly couldn’t distinguish between the two if you put them side by side on tv. It’s easy to say LIV doesn’t matter when it is just getting started and still has the training wheels on but as it grows and gains sponsers and proper tv deals it will definitely pick up steam. Put interesting personalities on tv..let them say what they want….have interesting and opinionated announcers like David Farrity and not censor him…and I add in the interesting scoring and team play along with cater to the gambling crowd and who knows which one is going to be more interesting. The number of fake outrage from reporters just makes me laugh. All I see is a bunch of nervous scared execs who will do and say anything to fight real competition instead of step up their game and make their own product better for the fans and for the golfers that have made them rich.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean…there was a golf tournament yesterday….or day before? The avg fan only cares about the majors. There is no difference in the John Deere Classic and whatever LIV tournament in my eyes. I’m a sports fan that will watch anything but I don’t hear anyone really making a fuss about last weekends tournament. Sure I don’t hear anything about the LIV Tour as well but I honestly couldn’t distinguish between the two if you put them side by side on tv. It’s easy to say LIV doesn’t matter when it is just getting started and still has the training wheels on but as it grows and gains sponsers and proper tv deals it will definitely pick up steam. Put interesting personalities on tv..let them say what they want….have interesting and opinionated announcers like David Farrity and not censor him…and I add in the interesting scoring and team play along with cater to the gambling crowd and who knows which one is going to be more interesting. The number of fake outrage from reporters just makes me laugh. All I see is a bunch of nervous scared execs who will do and say anything to fight real competition instead of step up their game and make their own product better for the fans and for the golfers that have made them rich.

It's Feherty...in case you're interested.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

There is absolutely no way you couldn’t distinguish between the two if you know anything about golf (not just pro golf).

One is a real tournament, one is a drunken “charity” outing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:24 AM, Seeking6 said:

Signing off for a couple of days. Every year a group of friends/I get together and play all 4 courses at Cog Hill outside Chicago. Recently the BMW was rotated there but forever in my heart will be The Western Open. Pray for my accuracy and may the golfing Gods allow me to land the ball on the good side of the hole so I'm not 3 putting my way around the joint again. 

This weeks picks for BMW in Delaware. Staying with the hot hands....Zalatoris, Finau, Kim...but adding Morikawa and Wise to some tickets. Good luck to all and can't wait to hear about Tiger's meeting with the crew.

Love Cog Hill!! one of my fav. courses. Top 5 largest cities and the Tour pulls out. Not smart.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

There is absolutely no way you couldn’t distinguish between the two if you know anything about golf (not just pro golf).

I guess they both are charity outings now right? Tour going to guaranteed money for what 170 players?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Wife: Now that we’re married, you can get rid of those golf clubs.

Me: You’re starting to sound like my ex-wife.

Wife: I didn’t know you were married before.

Me: I wasn’t.

LMAO. My first wife used to say, you just got off the road from golf do you have to go play today. Me: My golf clubs have been with me a lot longer than you, I missed them more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The later sounds more interesting…just so you know.

Played on the high school team and all during my college years…love the game just don’t have time to play anymore. That said I love players with attitudes and some life on the tour…for the most part it’s so vanilla…love the events like Ryder cup etc where fans get a little more rowdy and there is more interaction. Always loved the skins games etc…so to me a random weekend tournament is a snooze fest.

Edited by dgambill

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

The later sounds more interesting…just so you know.

Played on the high school team and all during my college years…love the game just don’t have time to play anymore. That said I love players with attitudes and some life on the tour…for the most part it’s so vanilla…love the events like Ryder cup etc where fans get a little more rowdy and there is more interaction. Always loved the skins games etc…so to me a random weekend tournament is a snooze fest.

I don't think it does sound more interesting to most people. Most people who watch golf prefer serious golf - most people who only passively watch it are unlikely to watch much more than the majors no matter how they change it.

21 hours ago, Indykev said:

Love Cog Hill!! one of my fav. courses. Top 5 largest cities and the Tour pulls out. Not smart.

I won't pretend to know the real conversations behind the scenes but I asked a guy yesterday and another one this morning about it and they both suggested that the powers at be at Cog and jointly with Chicago wanted a different tourney date....and nobody could agree. Such a shame. Great track and setup and one that I'll always miss.

Played some pretty good golf....and played some not so pretty golf. Dubs gave me a friendly 85. Ravines I actually shot 80....the other two courses we did more of a best ball format. 18 on Tuesday afternoon, 36 yesterday....and 18 this morning I got my fill for sure. Thing I love about Cog is you never can get comfortable. Short Par 4 sure...but it's tree lined with 100 year old trees and if you aren't accurate that 330 yard par 4 just gave you a 6.

Phenomenal couple of days. Like you I wish PGA/Chicago would get Cog Hill or Medinah or both back in the rotation. The course has so much history. I'm in the clubhouse last night just staring at the photos and of course 18 with Tiger's walk up in 97 just flashing before my eyes. Good time for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it does sound more interesting to most people. Most people who watch golf prefer serious golf - most people who only passively watch it are unlikely to watch much more than the majors no matter how they change it.

Isn’t the point to appeal to the masses…make golf more accessible and appealable to the masses…grow the game? You aren’t likely to beat pga at their own game. However if you bring in some popular household names…format it in a way that is fun and exciting and allow players, fans, and commutators to express themselves…now you have something that might appeal to someone like myself who generally only tunes into the majors. However my favorite format is the Ryder cup if you want me to be truthful. It’s team sport with individual performances, the fans are rowdy, the players are far more expressive, some trash talk, and there are fun exciting formats with best ball/foursomes ect. That to me is better than the Masters or US Open etc and if I was going to introduce a casual to the game that is the format I would do it in personally. Those skin games with Tiger and Phil etc are extremely fun and show well and rate well. People like the banter and not serious side as well. Honestly I feel like almost all events and holes should be set up to mimic the 16th at Phoenix.

Including mandatory caddie races.

• Like 1

Judge in antitrust case sets a January 8th of 2024 to hear the case. Was 10 players but now 9 because Ortiz dropped out. 

My guess is another couple rounds of continuances before 2024....unless settlement happens.....this thing could be years from being final. 

Here's my suggestion. If LIV is your thing enjoy it. If the PGA is your thing enjoy it. If both....enjoy it.....but this one is years from decided which typically favors the more established product (PGA). In this case though who knows. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Isn’t the point to appeal to the masses…make golf more accessible and appealable to the masses…grow the game? You aren’t likely to beat pga at their own game. However if you bring in some popular household names…format it in a way that is fun and exciting and allow players, fans, and commutators to express themselves…now you have something that might appeal to someone like myself who generally only tunes into the majors. However my favorite format is the Ryder cup if you want me to be truthful. It’s team sport with individual performances, the fans are rowdy, the players are far more expressive, some trash talk, and there are fun exciting formats with best ball/foursomes ect. That to me is better than the Masters or US Open etc and if I was going to introduce a casual to the game that is the format I would do it in personally. Those skin games with Tiger and Phil etc are extremely fun and show well and rate well. People like the banter and not serious side as well. Honestly I feel like almost all events and holes should be set up to mimic the 16th at Phoenix.

Including mandatory caddie races.

I think what the "point" is, is subjective.

Golf has gained a ton of popularity the past few years, pre-LIV. So something has been working okay. You can't really join a Country Club in Hamilton County right now because they're all full.

My personal take is that it's pretty short sighted to have the approach you're laying out; who's going to play the game at a high enough level in 20 years if this is what they're using to rope people in? You want to rope in casuals then show them Good Good or something along those lines.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I won't pretend to know the real conversations behind the scenes but I asked a guy yesterday and another one this morning about it and they both suggested that the powers at be at Cog and jointly with Chicago wanted a different tourney date....and nobody could agree. Such a shame. Great track and setup and one that I'll always miss.

Played some pretty good golf....and played some not so pretty golf. Dubs gave me a friendly 85. Ravines I actually shot 80....the other two courses we did more of a best ball format. 18 on Tuesday afternoon, 36 yesterday....and 18 this morning I got my fill for sure. Thing I love about Cog is you never can get comfortable. Short Par 4 sure...but it's tree lined with 100 year old trees and if you aren't accurate that 330 yard par 4 just gave you a 6.

Phenomenal couple of days. Like you I wish PGA/Chicago would get Cog Hill or Medinah or both back in the rotation. The course has so much history. I'm in the clubhouse last night just staring at the photos and of course 18 with Tiger's walk up in 97 just flashing before my eyes. Good time for sure.

Very jealous of this trip; I've been trying to pull together a Midwest golf trip with some buddies and Chicago completely skipped my mind as an option. I'd been looking at Wisconsin or Michigan, which both have some great trips, but this could be easier for a quick trip. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Very jealous of this trip; I've been trying to pull together a Midwest golf trip with some buddies and Chicago completely skipped my mind as an option. I'd been looking at Wisconsin or Michigan, which both have some great trips, but this could be easier for a quick trip. 

We only go to Cog Hill because it's central for everyone....but next Summer we are doing either  WI/Michigan thing. Rent a cabin somewhere and golf....some guys want to fish,etc....

Cog is great from a historical perspective but it's not like it's surrounded by flush resorts/estates.....shoot the road before you enter the course is 2 lane full of construction/heavy machinery companies.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We only go to Cog Hill because it's central for everyone....but next Summer we are doing either  WI/Michigan thing. Rent a cabin somewhere and golf....some guys want to fish,etc....

Cog is great from a historical perspective but it's not like it's surrounded by flush resorts/estates.....shoot the road before you enter the course is 2 lane full of construction/heavy machinery companies.

Where are you thinking for WI or MI? Some great trips with both of those. 

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Where are you thinking for WI or MI? Some great trips with both of those. 

Wisconsin was going to be Whistling Straits and Blackwolf were center pieces...good friends went to UW and another lives up there so they were going to be in charge of planning. Michigan was Arcadia Bluffs and a couple others.

Early planning stages but we wanted to have golf and water activities involved next summer....not just golf only.

• Like 1