PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What a difference a year makes.  Last year, I couldn't get enough of golf.  Watched every weekend.  This year, it's historically my favorite tournament.  I've not watched a shot and have barely followed online.  Here's hoping something clicks by Sunday.

Hope so! Best tourney of the year and it doesn't play favorites. Should be an awesome weekend with weather coming in. Somebody could go low early tomorrow and see what happens to setup Sunday.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:29 PM, Seeking6 said:

Hope so! Best tourney of the year and it doesn't play favorites. Should be an awesome weekend with weather coming in. Somebody could go low early tomorrow and see what happens to setup Sunday.

Matsuyama seemed to adjust his game to the changes after the rain delay more quickly and accurately than all the other players.  His shot making was phenomenal during the back nine.  Will anyone challenge him today?  If so, who will it be?  

24 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Matsuyama seemed to adjust his game to the changes after the rain delay more quickly and accurately than all the other players.  His shot making was phenomenal during the back nine.  Will anyone challenge him today?  If so, who will it be?  

4 shots at Augusta National isn't anything. On 13 and 15 alone there's chances for 3 shot swings on each of those holes if someone bogeys and another one eagles. I think players all the way back to -4 or so are still in it but it will require 2 things. One of those guys will have to be on an absolute heater....and Matsuyama will have to be flat.

HM is so tactical and consistent off the tee....and his shots into the green have been better than anyone all week.

If I were guessing who had the best chance I'd probably go chalk and say Xander....but the old saying about not knowing any better could apply to Zalatoris too. Looking forward to it for sure. Cloudy and Rainy here in Indy all day so I won't feel guilty for being couch bound for 5 hours this afternoon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

4 shots at Augusta National isn't anything. On 13 and 15 alone there's chances for 3 shot swings on each of those holes if someone bogeys and another one eagles. I think players all the way back to -4 or so are still in it but it will require 2 things. One of those guys will have to be on an absolute heater....and Matsuyama will have to be flat.

HM is so tactical and consistent off the tee....and his shots into the green have been better than anyone all week.

If I were guessing who had the best chance I'd probably go chalk and say Xander....but the old saying about not knowing any better could apply to Zalatoris too. Looking forward to it for sure. Cloudy and Rainy here in Indy all day so I won't feel guilty for being couch bound for 5 hours this afternoon.

I'm looking forward to it!  Golf is possibly my favorite sport for tv viewing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

No one to really challenge him.  Other than the initial scare, it's been a fairly boring Sunday at Augusta National.  Matsuyama has been steady...workmanlike.

My my...it's just become interesting.   😁  Oh my...splash!!  Too bad, Xander.

Edited by jv1972iu

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Just saw the score where Schauffele was within 2.  Decided to flip over, and he promptly implodes on 16.  

Some of these guys are so mechanical. he said he was in between clubs, the right type of shot, hot to play the shot and a couple other things. I know those things are important but sometimes 160 to center of green and let it roll down close to the whole is all he should be thinking at that moment.

The Masters will always be The Masters but kept waiting and waiting for a few to make their moves on Sunday and it didn't happen. 3 putts by Zalatoris on 12 and 13 really hurt him too.

You don’t see many find water at 16 it seems like. Think I heard them say it was Xander’s first triple bogey in like 1000+ holes or something crazy like that - not exactly the best time for it.

Hideki deserved it. His back nine on Saturday was brilliant. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDB said:

You don’t see many find water at 16 it seems like. Think I heard them say it was Xander’s first triple bogey in like 1000+ holes or something crazy like that - not exactly the best time for it.

Hideki deserved it. His back nine on Saturday was brilliant. 

Exactly. As large as that water looms I just don't remember anyone on Sunday going in there....or maybe that's just the way it seems. 

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

1986....Seve hits into the pond and Jack gains momentum to win his 6th green jacket.

Honestly that's the only one I really can remember on a Sunday. I'm sure there are others.

Cool side story about 86. In Illinois our spring breaks were late back in those days...and they usually were just a day or two max. Week after Jack won The Masters we sat behind him in church the following Sunday down near West Palm Beach where my aunt lived. One of the few times as a kid I never wanted church to end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Some of these guys are so mechanical. he said he was in between clubs, the right type of shot, hot to play the shot and a couple other things. I know those things are important but sometimes 160 to center of green and let it roll down close to the whole is all he should be thinking at that moment.

The Masters will always be The Masters but kept waiting and waiting for a few to make their moves on Sunday and it didn't happen. 3 putts by Zalatoris on 12 and 13 really hurt him too.

There was no point in hitting that shot.  Like you said, play it to the middle of the green and let it funnel down.  That line he took was either a terrible decision or about a 10 yard pull.  I could see going in the water on 12 if you're trying to be aggressive and go at that pin, but no excuse on 16.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I knew it was Matsayuma's day when he hit driver into the trees on 12,I think, and the ball bounced out into the first rough.

I looked at my wife and told her that it was the guy's lucky day.

Plenty of breaks for several on that leaderboard....but Matsuyama played the best when it mattered. I'd love to know what he did during delay on Saturday because when he came back out he put his Superman cape on.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

There was no point in hitting that shot.  Like you said, play it to the middle of the green and let it funnel down.  That line he took was either a terrible decision or about a 10 yard pull.  I could see going in the water on 12 if you're trying to be aggressive and go at that pin, but no excuse on 16.

Xander seemed to be in between on clubs a few times so I could see the hard pull if you go from an 8 to 9 on that whole. We all do it....that is getting into it just a tad more which could mean he pulled it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I knew it was Matsayuma's day when he hit driver into the trees on 12,I think, and the ball bounced out into the first rough.

I looked at my wife and told her that it was the guy's lucky day.

I thought it was going to be Spieth's day after he hooked one on #2 into the trees that bounced out, pushed his 2nd shot a fairway over, and somehow avoided having to hit over any trees or bunkers.  I thought that was going to be the hole to look back at where things started for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I thought it was going to be Spieth's day after he hooked one on #2 into the trees that bounced out, pushed his 2nd shot a fairway over, and somehow avoided having to hit over any trees or bunkers.  I thought that was going to be the hole to look back at where things started for him.

His angle on 8 on Saturday was unreal. Never have seen footage from that angle before. He was left of left....and of course managed birdie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Plenty of breaks for several on that leaderboard....but Matsuyama played the best when it mattered. I'd love to know what he did during delay on Saturday because when he came back out he put his Superman cape on.

He said he sat in his car and went through his messages on his phone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've decided to commit to getting better again but for the life of me I've lost my long iron play. Looking to join the hybrid club. Anyone have any they use and like and why? I'm looking for a 180-210 yard club. My buddies all swear by them but I've been late to the party.

My 3 iron is one of my favorite clubs, so I haven't switched over either. I hit it far enough that I almost never hit my 3 wood, so I'm much more comfortable with irons than woods/hybrids from the fairway (as if I'm ever in that haha).

I also still play my Mizuno MP-33 irons I got almost 20 years ago, and I love them too much to give up any of them.

I know a lot of people who love their hybrids.  If I were you, I would go somewhere and hit different hybrids in their simulator to find what you like. Practicing in a simulator or on the range is half the fun of getting something new.  Just keep saying you're not sure and need to hit some more to know for sure haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

My 3 iron is one of my favorite clubs, so I haven't switched over either. I hit it far enough that I almost never hit my 3 wood, so I'm much more comfortable with irons than woods/hybrids from the fairway (as if I'm ever in that haha).

I also still play my Mizuno MP-33 irons I got almost 20 years ago, and I love them too much to give up any of them.

I know a lot of people who love their hybrids.  If I were you, I would go somewhere and hit different hybrids in their simulator to find what you like. Practicing in a simulator or on the range is half the fun of getting something new.  Just keep saying you're not sure and need to hit some more to know for sure haha.

I'm sure it's the same everywhere but Golf Galaxy has this trade out program where I can buy a used club....take it for 7 or 14 days and keep trading in until you find one you like. Might start there. I've got my W-7 distances down pretty well.....it's just 2-3 courses I play around here (Plum Creek, Prairie View, River Glen) there's about 4-5 shots each round where I'm at 200 coming in (or I need 200 off tee to lay up) and have lost that distance on my 3/4 iron.

Guess that's why we love golf. Always tinkering around with things.