Jump to content

PGA/General Golf


Seeking6
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Phils career on the tour is almost up. A couple years maybe of good play. I think he takes Norman's offer and goes for the big money.

I won't pretend to know what's in Phil's brain. If the $ is that important to him go get it....but impact on legacy? Google says he's earned $800M in his lifetime. If he needs more I guess get it but losing 20+ years of sponsorship $ state side should be considered too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I won't pretend to know what's in Phil's brain. If the $ is that important to him go get it....but impact on legacy? Google says he's earned $800M in his lifetime. If he needs more I guess get it but losing 20+ years of sponsorship $ state side should be considered too.

Phil's a gambler...plain and simple.  He skated by on the insider trading issue, but my guess is that he was guilty.  His gambling buddy who went to jail for the same insider trading has written a book and supposedly it paints an ugly picture of Mickelson.  $40M in gambling debts over ten years...sheesh!  He sounds like an arrogant individual who  is getting what he deserves, in my opinion.  Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Phil joins LIV. Good for him. 200 million. Tiger turns down a Billion, good for him, he should retire. The PGA Tour is going to regret taking the hard stance on this. Rickie Fowler is next I would guess. The Tour should just let them play both. Keep a 15 tournament min. in place and give releases to the guys for the 8 LIV events. Make a deal with LIV not to play in the states. The PGA Tour will lose this in court.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Phil joins LIV. Good for him. 200 million. Tiger turns down a Billion, good for him, he should retire. The PGA Tour is going to regret taking the hard stance on this. Rickie Fowler is next I would guess. The Tour should just let them play both. Keep a 15 tournament min. in place and give releases to the guys for the 8 LIV events. Make a deal with LIV not to play in the states. The PGA Tour will lose this in court.

Either way, watered down fields are not going to be good for the sport.  I personally hate to see it.  Cant blame the players for taking the money, but I wish they wouldn't.  

Key question is what happens if LIV goes bust in 3 years. Does the PGA forgive and forget.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Either way, watered down fields are not going to be good for the sport.  I personally hate to see it.  Cant blame the players for taking the money, but I wish they wouldn't.  

Key question is what happens if LIV goes bust in 3 years. Does the PGA forgive and forget.

 

Norman has 3 Billion for the next 3 years just to buy players. Not counting prize money. They arent going anywhere. The players playing wouldnt play any event on tour opposite LIV anyway. Players are given releases to play any where in the world every week almost. The issue with LIV is the prize money is 2 to 3 times more than a PGA Tour event, not including the appearance fee( which every tour pays except the U.S. )norman is smart, I think the last 2 or 3 US AM winners are playing LIV. building the future. Once Tiger retires the Money dries up. I can't wait to see who jumps on a TV deal for LIV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, 5fouls said:

Either way, watered down fields are not going to be good for the sport.  I personally hate to see it.  Cant blame the players for taking the money, but I wish they wouldn't.  

Key question is what happens if LIV goes bust in 3 years. Does the PGA forgive and forget.

 

Time to study the Antitrust Law gang because that's the only place this one is headed.

In terms of the $. Go get what you want. No problem with that. I prefer the PGA guys but I'm not going to make a snap judgement on anything until I see or hear about a few events since they couldn't even give away the TV rights. 

I will say this though. Not just with LIV tour.....Saudi's seem to be making a bigger play here. They've ventured into sports (Soccer, Auto Racing...now Golf).....maybe the next generation of Saudi leadership is looking to soften their image internationally via sports. Just a thought. 

Disappointed in Phil though. His presser tomorrow should be an interesting one. He's never lacked confidence in thinking he was the most thorough "knowledge" guy going. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Time to study the Antitrust Law gang because that's the only place this one is headed.

In terms of the $. Go get what you want. No problem with that. I prefer the PGA guys but I'm not going to make a snap judgement on anything until I see or hear about a few events since they couldn't even give away the TV rights. 

I will say this though. Not just with LIV tour.....Saudi's seem to be making a bigger play here. They've ventured into sports (Soccer, Auto Racing...now Golf).....maybe the next generation of Saudi leadership is looking to soften their image internationally via sports. Just a thought. 

Disappointed in Phil though. His presser tomorrow should be an interesting one. He's never lacked confidence in thinking he was the most thorough "knowledge" guy going. 

Phil's is a money thing. $200 million to start. For a guy ready for the Champions Tour. # rounds, shot gun start, i'm all for it. As far as TV goes. They will have a network in the future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Phil's is a money thing. $200 million to start. For a guy ready for the Champions Tour. # rounds, shot gun start, i'm all for it. As far as TV goes. They will have a network in the future.

I just don't see the network thing. At all. I know the NBA has skirted the whole China thing so far....but I can't see a network stepping up for this one.

Time will tell though. Would love to know how much of the $ is guaranteed though. If it's all guaranteed I don't blame the lower tier guys taking a check....but Phil? This one is just different for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just don't see the network thing. At all. I know the NBA has skirted the whole China thing so far....but I can't see a network stepping up for this one.

Time will tell though. Would love to know how much of the $ is guaranteed though. If it's all guaranteed I don't blame the lower tier guys taking a check....but Phil? This one is just different for me. 

Its appearance money, all guaranteed. DJ has made 70 million in earnings in 17 years on Tour. $150 million for 3 years Guaranteed plus purse money, do the math. As far as TV, go research who's running their media. They didnt even look for a tv deal yet.

Edited by Indykev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Its appearance money, all guaranteed. DJ has made 70 million in earnings in 17 years on Tour. $150 million for 3 years Guaranteed plus purse money, do the math. As far as TV, go research who's running their media. They didnt even look for a tv deal yet.

DJ & Phil both already have enough money.  The opportunities provided by the PGA Tour helped them get there.  Whatever issues either has with their legacy, they brought upon themselves.  the tour has done nothing to either.  I kind of like Justin Thomas' stance on this thing.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

5fouls you are wrong. 

I hear it upwards of 500 times a day from my wife.  Except she doesnt refer to me as 5fouls.  It's more like ____head, ____face, or dumb____.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

5fouls you are wrong. Phil is broke. And it’s confirmed. He couldn’t pay bones 500k and that’s why they split up. He had north of 40 million in gambling debt. 

Not arguing here, okay?  Where did you see, read, or hear that Phil is broke?  How is this confirmed?  His gambling debts covered a period from 2010-2014, as I understand.  He would have made a lot of money through sponsors during that time, wouldn't he?  Some sources state he has made more than 800 million during his career, at this point prior to the 200 million he receives from LIV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

5fouls you are wrong. Phil is broke. And it’s confirmed. He couldn’t pay bones 500k and that’s why they split up. He had north of 40 million in gambling debt. 

 

 

he said this morning he would have been broke if he didnt seek help which he has for years now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

DJ & Phil both already have enough money.  The opportunities provided by the PGA Tour helped them get there.  Whatever issues either has with their legacy, they brought upon themselves.  the tour has done nothing to either.  I kind of like Justin Thomas' stance on this thing.   

Take golf out of it...its guys changing work places for better pay and benefits....it happens every day, i'm sure you have done it once or twice in your life. Both gave the PGA Tour props for what they provided them. They just dont want to be told where they can earn being independent contractors. Phil is more upset about his media rights because they are worth billions. Like I posted Tiger and Phil had to pay the tour a million each to play The Match so it could be on TV. THATS NUTS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Two more names...Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed heavily rumored to be making the jump to the LIV tour AFTER next week's US Open.  

Fowler as well, the flood gates are open. LIV might need to expand the field before its over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

And it appears that they're fine with the Saudi money they'll earn.

Hows that Saudi gas running in your car. You would be shocked by everything you use that has Saudi money behind it. We should worry about the stuff our own country does before another one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Hows that Saudi gas running in your car. You would be shocked by everything you use that has Saudi money behind it. We should worry about the stuff our own country does before another one.

You see it your way...that's fine.  😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an observation...

In the past when new sports leagues challenged the older established leagues, they had to bring something fresh to the table... The AFL brought a more open offensive football game, using the pass over the 3 yards and a cloud of dust the NFL provided. The ABA used the 3 point shot to grab attention...

I read the rules for the new LIV league, and while it might grab the interest of avid golfers and golf fans, I'm not sure the casual fan (admittedly me) will be all that interested. I tune in for the majors and that's about it.

Of course in this day and age, that and a nice, fat TV contract can get you through short term... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...