PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

On 7/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, Indykev said:

First of many court rulings going to the players with the guys getting a stay to play this week. Tommy Fleetwood and Henrick Stenson are next. Stenson will give up the Rider Cup Captain duties, very telling. Rory calling for all sides to sit down. Also saw a rumor they are going to start a LIV womens tour with the same purses as the men. That would be the end of the LPGA tour if that happens.

After this last major many guys will join LIV.

I haven’t followed this too closely, but how is LIV able to get such large purses? Where are they getting their revenue from and will it be sustainable? Or is the PGA just hoarding too much?

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I haven’t followed this too closely, but how is LIV able to get such large purses? Where are they getting their revenue from and will it be sustainable? Or is the PGA just hoarding too much?

The Saudi's are backing LIV, thats why everyone has their panties in a bunch. Yes the PGA Tour is hoarding money from the players, thats why Mickelson called them out and he was right. What everyone forgets is the PLayers own the tour and its ran by a hired board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

If ever curious Norman tried this is in 1994 to no avail. Just google Greg Norman World Golf Tour and you can read for yourself where it ended up.

He's got bigger backers so maybe it gets drawn out a little longer but I keep sensing the USFL thing here. The public will decide eventually which product they want to consume and right now it's not LIV nor their players. 

I know nothing about high level golf but the LIV to me just seems to take away all the pressure and stress associated with making the cut and even winning. With guaranteed money who cares if you win.  I know to get to that level you are ultra competitive but there is a lot of examples in all sports of players getting fat and happy and going through the motions.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If ever curious Norman tried this is in 1994 to no avail. Just google Greg Norman World Golf Tour and you can read for yourself where it ended up.

He's got bigger backers so maybe it gets drawn out a little longer but I keep sensing the USFL thing here. The public will decide eventually which product they want to consume and right now it's not LIV nor their players. 

The PGA Tour has Tiger.  Even if it's just for the next 3-4 years, that's going to be a very large hurdle for LIV to overcome.  I've felt 'USFL' all along.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Having Tiger and Rory both in contention this weekend would be huge.  

Would be great for sure! But there are so many guys out there. No shortage of story lines. Obviously being the 150th at St. Andrews....but I look at the tee times and I see about 30 guys who can win. Never has the tour had this many guys at one time being able to legitimately win. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The PGA Tour has Tiger.  Even if it's just for the next 3-4 years, that's going to be a very large hurdle for LIV to overcome.  I've felt 'USFL' all along.  

Love him, he made me a lot of money, but Tiger is done. This week is his only shot. you cant play 4 times a year and compete.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess you dint see the crowd on sat. in Portland. much bigger than at the Scottish Open.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know nothing about high level golf but the LIV to me just seems to take away all the pressure and stress associated with making the cut and even winning. With guaranteed money who cares if you win.  I know to get to that level you are ultra competitive but there is a lot of examples in all sports of players getting fat and happy and going through the motions.

They are still playing for prize money $3 or $4 million for first will get your blood pumping.

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

Love him, he made me a lot of money, but Tiger is done. This week is his only shot. you cant play 4 times a year and compete.

I guess you dint see the crowd on sat. in Portland. much bigger than at the Scottish Open.

I probably should have qualified my answer more. Much like the USFL (who had sellouts early on)...the public will decide consumption of any product. In person, on tv, streaming,etc...and the USFL quickly lost fan interest and I believe the LIV as well.

Time will tell what happens. My guess is PGA is kind of waiting for the offseason to make decisions. 

Back to the PGA though. Cam Smith out early so far. Felt bad for Justin Rose having to WD. Tweaked his back yesterday.

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

They are still playing for prize money $3 or $4 million for first will get your blood pumping.

I get that and agree but the pressure of making the cut and no guarantee is what for me makes the PGA tour unique and special.  I know the players don't get as much as they should in terms of what is available but 72 holes of under pressure is appealing to me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get that and agree but the pressure of making the cut and no guarantee is what for me makes the PGA tour unique and special.  I know the players don't get as much as they should in terms of what is available but 72 holes of under pressure is appealing to me 

you do understand that once you get your card most are millonaire's before they even tee it up. Back in the day for a no name player a ball, glove and shoe deal was #100,000. Callaway and Taylor made were paying $5000 a week to play their drivers. Now throw an iron and bag deal in the mix, or hat. Most guys sweaters look like Nascar's. Hell I had deals as a caddie. Norelco paid me $300 a min i was on TV. One week we finished 2nd i made more money from them then that 8% I made from the top 10 finish. I had a deal with Compaq Computer, They paid me $50,000 and sent me a computer every time they brought out a new one. At one time i had over 500 computers new in boxes in my garage. I used to give them away for birthday and Christmas presents. Hyatt hotels I stayed free at any city there was a tournament. My point is, they aren't under that much pressure. The pressure is to play well and keep your card. The Liv guys have 3 year deals yes, but Mickelson wont make it past the 3 years like a lot of the older guys. They will be replaced.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yikes.  A lot of missed putts right now.  Definitely an advantage for those that went out early today.  

Yep. Hoping it stays the same for tomorrow but for the Tiger fans on here...he just went to +6. I just don't see a 66 (minimum score tomorrow to make cut) in the cards. The good news is he doesn't look unhealthy or anything....this is just rust. You can't play 6 rounds of competitive golf in a couple of months and rubber band back into competition.

Try as hard as he can tomorrow and get 100% back into tour shape in the off season and go from there. After winning at East Lake and The Masters after injuries...I know he thinks he can do it again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Hoping it stays the same for tomorrow but for the Tiger fans on here...he just went to +6. I just don't see a 66 (minimum score tomorrow to make cut) in the cards. The good news is he doesn't look unhealthy or anything....this is just rust. You can't play 6 rounds of competitive golf in a couple of months and rubber band back into competition.

Try as hard as he can tomorrow and get 100% back into tour shape in the off season and go from there. After winning at East Lake and The Masters after injuries...I know he thinks he can do it again. 

Tiger said yesterday that he'll never again be able to play tournaments before majors to get ready, his body won't allow it. Tiger needs to retire while he can still walk, for his kids. In the end I watched Arnold Palmer shoot 125 at the Bob Hope. The Tour posted 78 to protect him. I dont want to see that for Tiger. Every time I watch him play I have flash backs to that Arnold round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

Tiger said yesterday that he'll never again be able to play tournaments before majors to get ready, his body won't allow it. Tiger needs to retire while he can still walk, for his kids. In the end I watched Arnold Palmer shoot 125 at the Bob Hope. The Tour posted 78 to protect him. I dont want to see that for Tiger. Every time I watch him play I have flash backs to that Arnold round.

That's the part I'm struggling with. First saw Tiger at a pro-am in late 80's (Hardees Golf Classic) at age 13 and have loved the guy ever since. I don't want to see him struggling but I also don't want him to stop playing.

Maybe as a fan I should just be grateful for what he gave and let him ride out into the sunset until Charlie hits the tour.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Cam Smith taking The Old Course apart...8 under for his second round, at the moment...13 under overall.  No Tiger...no Phil for the weekend.  Conditions pretty benign.

I'm hoping Smith doesn't get too far ahead.  A lot of intriguing names 5-6 shots back.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm hoping Smith doesn't get too far ahead.  A lot of intriguing names 5-6 shots back.  

He's putting so well today...great confidence.  Some weather would really help, but it's not looking likely.  However, that can change pretty easily overnight... and change everything.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1