PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I laugh every time Brandel opens his mouth about a player. I was great friends with his long time caddie, Andy quit Brandel and told everyone he wanted to work for a player that he didnt have to look away from every time he got near his golf ball. Brandel cheated that much. When I was working for Curtis Strange, Fred Couples picked up his ball and took drops 4 times without Talking to Curtis first so he could agree or disagree. Finally Curtis was so pissed he asked Fred if they were playing lift clean and place and someone forgot to tell him. Then he asked him why did you take that last drop was the ruff to deep? Funny stuff.

Thanks again. I was going to ask earlier but you already brought him up. I loved Curtis ( I was a Payne guy first) as well....seemed like the ultimate red a-- but I actually appreciated that honestly. I saw him at Oakwood CC (Hardees/Deere) several times...I remember one time either a mic or tv or somebody in the group was a bit close. Hit his shot and turned around and lit the guy up mid-round. 

Great leaderboard today. Cam is going to regret that 13 play...and was curious if you ever just said no no no we aren't doing this shot here. Take your medicine but the worst we score is 5. 

Rory/Viktor should be fun TV for sure. 

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Love links style of play, but not too wild about a -20 pace.

Maybe more greenside bunkers.

You do realize that there are 100+ bunkers on the Old Course.  It's the lack of wind, rain...the elements that's the big reason for the scoring being what it is.  Plus golf technology.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'll echo what Jack says. The Open always produces a great champion. Sure I wouldn't mind one day of carnage (wind/rain) but carnage is coming in different ways right now. One hop, one roll into a bunker....maybe a guy going for it when he should lay back. 

Historically I'm with you. I love seeing 72 be a great score...but I also love seeing 5-8 footers being the difference on the greens too. Right now it's a blend of go for it and deal with consequences or ??

If I'm one of the guys at 4-5 back...I'm letting it rip all day on every hole and see what happens. It's a major. Unless I have my tour card on the line I'm grabbing driver on every single hole tomorrow....within reason. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks again. I was going to ask earlier but you already brought him up. I loved Curtis ( I was a Payne guy first) as well....seemed like the ultimate red a-- but I actually appreciated that honestly. I saw him at Oakwood CC (Hardees/Deere) several times...I remember one time either a mic or tv or somebody in the group was a bit close. Hit his shot and turned around and lit the guy up mid-round. 

Great leaderboard today. Cam is going to regret that 13 play...and was curious if you ever just said no no no we aren't doing this shot here. Take your medicine but the worst we score is 5. 

Rory/Viktor should be fun TV for sure. 

I loved Payne because he loved my son. He went out of his way every time my son was around to go mess with him. Like Greg Norman did for my mom. Greg was my mom's fav. player and he knew that. He would spend 20 or 30 mins talking with her. If Norman was in the field my mom would follow his group not ours. lol. She would always say I can see you anytime. HA.

I never pointed out the trouble, every guy would hit it right there when you did. I would stay between them and the bag if I didnt want them to hit a certain shot and they knew we needed to talk more about it if I wasnt letting them in the bag. I said take your medicine all the time to get my point across. Some guys are so aggressive its a green light no matter what. I loved working for those guys  because they were fearly but they also needed to back off in spots.

I quit a guy once for hitting an iron off the tee on a reachable par 5 because he was scared of the tee shot. And we won a tournament together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

You do realize that there are 100+ bunkers on the Old Course.  It's the lack of wind, rain...the elements that's the big reason for the scoring being what it is.  Plus golf technology.

But. most of them are not in play in today's game.  

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Were guy choking down the stretch? I was out in the garage re-gripping an old set of Taylor Made LT irons to throw back in the bag.

Edited by Indykev

Despite being T-7, Matt Fitzpatrick is not a huge fan of the Old Course or the setup. Says he feels a bunch of the pins are tricked up to protect the place, and that plenty of good shots are not being rewarded. Asked if it holds up to the modern game, he paused..."Not really."

Here is a tweet. They boo him tomorrow. lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Were guy choking down the stretch? I was out in the garage re-gripping an old set of Taylor Made LT irons to throw back in the bag.

The Cam's were feeling the pressure  Scheffler missed some makeable putts.  DJ Had a couple of bad holes.  Rory was simply mistake free all day.  Havland had one late bogey.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

But. most of them are not in play in today's game.  

Tell that to DJ or Rory.  We can agree to disagree.  I understand what you're saying, but they do come into play.  Besides, bunker play is something these guys don't fear anymore, IMO.  😊

I don't how I've missed him or maybe it's just because I'm watching more closely this week....but this John Wood guy on NBC is really good. He just said trying to miss bunkers at St. Andrew's is like dropping a marble in your bathroom sink and hoping it misses the drain. Haha....

On 7/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, Indykev said:

First of many court rulings going to the players with the guys getting a stay to play this week. Tommy Fleetwood and Henrick Stenson are next. Stenson will give up the Rider Cup Captain duties, very telling. Rory calling for all sides to sit down. Also saw a rumor they are going to start a LIV womens tour with the same purses as the men. That would be the end of the LPGA tour if that happens.

After this last major many guys will join LIV.

Update from our great board contributor.....above was posted on 7/6 and national golf guys starting to run with it 11 days later today. Rapaport saying he's gone now. Give up the Ryder Cup captain position....wow. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Cameron Smith putting out of his mind...has now caught and passed Rory with five birdies to start the back nine.

Huge par saving putt on 17 for Smith.  Looks like Rory going to need a birdie on 17.  Have to assume both will get birdie on 18.

43 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Cameron Smith putting out of his mind...has now caught and passed Rory with five birdies to start the back nine.

Cam has been putting to a garbage can all day long....unreal nerves and that par on 17 was so good.

Rory with a birdie coming up on 17 and 18....awesome tourney. Watch Young drop his eagle now.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Mullet's and St. Andrews go hand in hand....like they said on the tube. John Daly won with his there 27 years ago!

Smith probably weighs about as much as one of Daly's legs...

But, another sports axiom was proven again today...

"Putt for dough." 

• Like 1

Flushing It

@flushingitgolf

For years, Ryder Cup legends have been allowed to play across many different worldwide tours without an issue. Lee Westwood has 44 wins on 7 different tours, Sergio 36 wins on 7 tours too. Why is this now changing? We really need to start asking difficult questions to the suits.

This has always been my argument. The only difference is the PGA Tour doesn't want competition in the U.S.

By the way, Tigers appearance fee for playing outside the U.S. is 1 million Dollars. The U.S tour is the only tour that doesn't pay appearance fee's.

Edited by Indykev

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Look for all the LIV players to start entering Asian Tour events to earn world ranking points. The more that play, the more points they can earn.

Isn't the point of the LIV though to play less for most of the guys? I'd crack up if a guy like Reed complains about playing 30 events a year goes to LIV....and subsequently adds a dozen other events in Asia or elsewhere just to earn points. 

That would really stink if Cam was going but given his answer today (how he replied) tells me it's real. Darn it.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Isn't the point of the LIV though to play less for most of the guys? I'd crack up if a guy like Reed complains about playing 30 events a year goes to LIV....and subsequently adds a dozen other events in Asia or elsewhere just to earn points. 

That would really stink if Cam was going but given his answer today (how he replied) tells me it's real. Darn it.

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!  A spectacular final round mate. A triumph for you and for Australia as the first Australian to win in 29 years. You’re in good company 🙂 Enjoy every moment of your victory . #TheOpenThe_Open_Jul_2022.png #thatwinningfeeling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think there are 16 LIV events next year.( Dont quote me ) They would only play Asia to earn points. If LIV starts earning points they wouldnt need to do that. Those guys play 25 to 30 events a year. 15 or 16 would be less. They still need to play to earn ranking points no matter where they play if they want to play in majors.

• Like 1