PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

DL3 Last week, "we just won't play" The tour read the law suit and now here is DL3 having the phone call with LIV without having the phone call. LIV wins. If I were Norman I would say to late. Expand the fields, move to 72 holes then destroy them. He is nicer then I, so it looks like something will get worked out. DL3 isnt just going to say this without the tour telling him what to say.Image

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

DL3 Last week, "we just won't play" The tour read the law suit and now here is DL3 having the phone call with LIV without having the phone call. LIV wins. If I were Norman I would say to late. Expand the fields, move to 72 holes then destroy them. He is nicer then I, so it looks like something will get worked out. DL3 isnt just going to say this without the tour telling him what to say.Image

Even the Saudis may have a financial limit.  Significantly expanding their fields may not be in the budget, especially when to 'destroy' them, you have to get the biggest names. 

If Charles Howell III is getting $50, what are the Top 10 in the rankings worth?  The offered Tiger $800 million.  If Rory, Rahm, JT, Scheffler, Morikawa, etc all expected $500 plus million, it gets expensive fast, even for the Saudis.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:47 PM, Indykev said:

The hearing is set for August 9 at 4 p.m. ET in California. These LIV Golfers are all seeking a temporary restraining order to play next week's FedEx Cup Playoff event in Memphis, which begins two days later.

This particular Judge has a history of not buying antitrust claims. Curious how or who chose to file in this particular courtroom because these things don't happen by accident....but since the golfers chose this one they must either think it will benefit them initially? Or perhaps as it climbs the ladder of appeals and other cases for years?

Back to golf though. Sad to see Sir Nick leaving the booth. One of the most underrated comments by Nick and shots of Tiger's career was on the 12th in first round in 97. We all know he went out in 40 but put his tee shot off of 12th back into the bushes. Tiger chips in and goes for his 30....and Nick Faldo said after that shot we didn't see him for dust for 14 years. 

Hope he returns here and there. The PGA and Golf needs people like him right now.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This particular Judge has a history of not buying antitrust claims. Curious how or who chose to file in this particular courtroom because these things don't happen by accident....but since the golfers chose this one they must either think it will benefit them initially? Or perhaps as it climbs the ladder of appeals and other cases for years?

Back to golf though. Sad to see Sir Nick leaving the booth. One of the most underrated comments by Nick and shots of Tiger's career was on the 12th in first round in 97. We all know he went out in 40 but put his tee shot off of 12th back into the bushes. Tiger chips in and goes for his 30....and Nick Faldo said after that shot we didn't see him for dust for 14 years. 

Hope he returns here and there. The PGA and Golf needs people like him right now.

I suppose it depends on whether he grows tired of his wife (#4), fly fishing, living on a ranch in Montana with assorted llamas, rabbits, and other animals...and how much he's offered to come out of retirement.   

Edited by jv1972iu

31 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I suppose it depends on whether he grows tired of his wife (#4), fly fishing, living on a ranch in Montana with assorted llamas, rabbits, and other animals...and how much he's offered to come out of retirement.   

Mellencamp once said about age 65 that he only had so many summers left and didn't want to waste them being old. Hope Nick enjoys his time for sure. I don't get into the personal stuff. That's their business....but I know golf and tv golf fans will miss him in the booth. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Faldo has a golf academy or something like that with his son to keep him busy. By the way, its back by the Saudi's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

They choose Cali because they were playing there when the tour sent out the first letter to players threatening suspension.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Even the Saudis may have a financial limit.  Significantly expanding their fields may not be in the budget, especially when to 'destroy' them, you have to get the biggest names. 

If Charles Howell III is getting $50, what are the Top 10 in the rankings worth?  The offered Tiger $800 million.  If Rory, Rahm, JT, Scheffler, Morikawa, etc all expected $500 plus million, it gets expensive fast, even for the Saudis.

Its going to get worked out in the end. I'm guessing a couple of months. After DL3's comments here I wouldnt be shocked to learn they have already talked behind the scenes.

TV is coming for LIV. It will make money. The more players that come after the prez cup will only help LIV and hurt the tour.Norman says everyone is signed for next season. Cantlay, Cam Smith, Adam Scott, Mark Leishman, Hideki Matsuyama, Tommt Fleetwood, Ricky Fowler. Plus surprises. I could see any of these guys joining from the rumors i've been hearing. DL3 said he talked to all the prez cup players and is worried about all that will leave.

• Like 1

A few who lost their PGA Tour cards today. Danny Willett 2016 Masters winner(back to DP or LIV), Harry Higgs, Zach Johnson, Rory Sabbatini (30 year vet maybe), Charlie Hoffman ( has a one time all time money winner exemption he could use), Bill Haas, Luke Donald, Brandt Snedeker ( has one time money ex. to use) Jimmy Walker 2016 PGA winner.

4 former major winners, gone. Thanks for playing, no good bye, no rocking chairs given out, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Out of here. Life on Tour.

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

A few who lost their PGA Tour cards today. Danny Willett 2016 Masters winner(back to DP or LIV), Harry Higgs, Zach Johnson, Rory Sabbatini (30 year vet maybe), Charlie Hoffman ( has a one time all time money winner exemption he could use), Bill Haas, Luke Donald, Brandt Snedeker ( has one time money ex. to use) Jimmy Walker 2016 PGA winner.

4 former major winners, gone. Thanks for playing, no good bye, no rocking chairs given out, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Out of here. Life on Tour.

Hoffman is the one that really surprises me on that list.  It seems as if he had a 2-3 year stretch where he was on the weekend leaderboard almost every tournament he played. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hoffman is the one that really surprises me on that list.  It seems as if he had a 2-3 year stretch where he was on the weekend leaderboard almost every tournament he played. 

Number 22 on all time money list. 15 straight FedEx cups. All it takes is one bad year and all of that means nothing. And you wonder why players are jumping for the 3 year contracts and guaranteed money. Charlie is the perfect example.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Zach Johnson also has a one time career money list exemption he can use next year. #13 all- time. Dude was an ATM.

Cameron Percy has lifted the lid on Cameron Smith’s intentions, revealing the Open champion is “gone” and will join the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series.

Smith, 28, was irate when he was asked about his future in the moments following his extraordinary one-shot victory at St Andrew’s last month.

“I just won the British Open and you’re asking about that? I think that’s pretty- not that good,” Smith said.

Pressed on the matter, the Australian was coy.

“I don’t know, mate. My team around me worries about all that stuff, I’m here to win golf tournaments,” he said.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Cameron Percy has lifted the lid on Cameron Smith’s intentions, revealing the Open champion is “gone” and will join the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series.

Smith, 28, was irate when he was asked about his future in the moments following his extraordinary one-shot victory at St Andrew’s last month.

“I just won the British Open and you’re asking about that? I think that’s pretty- not that good,” Smith said.

Pressed on the matter, the Australian was coy.

“I don’t know, mate. My team around me worries about all that stuff, I’m here to win golf tournaments,” he said.

"Money he shall have.

A sense of accomplishment when he plays the final 18 of his career, I think not."

I think Yoda said that.  

• Like 1

#NEW: Cam Smith & Marc Leishman are heading to LIV GOLF according to fellow Australian golfer Cam Percy, who finished T8 at the Wyndham. “Unfortunately, yeah they’re gone”, Percy said the deals are already done. (Via RSN Radio Australia)

No Adam Scott mentioned, or he doesn't know. #2 player in the world. Could be #1 by the time he moves to LIV. This will shake sponsors and TV partners of the tour. If they werent already.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

"Money he shall have.

A sense of accomplishment when he plays the final 18 of his career, I think not."

I think Yoda said that.  

He just won the Open. He has 5 years worth of majors to play from that win. Plus the Open until he is 60. I'm sure he'll feel just fine in the final round.

Smith, Leish and Scott will play Boston LIV according to multiple sources, this is being widely talked about by players so I’d be amazed if it didn’t happen. Cam could possibly be Players Champ, Open Champ, FED Ex Cup Champ and World No. 1 when he leaves. Quite astonishing!

Whoa, things are heating up. #2, #41 and #54 in the world.

Interesting little slip  by Plaintiff's lawyers today. Earnings by players are counted against their upfront money....which LIV has denied up to this point. Makes sense now when Schwartzel said he's already been paid after his win.

So for example. It would almost incentivize players not to play well....which one could argue it makes it more of an exhibition than it already appears which goes back to the words Monahan has been saying since the start. True competition is what our tour is about.

Interesting case. Been around the law game for 20 years so I know enough to know sometimes might seem like wins early on when they really aren't. Time will tell though. 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:50 PM, Indykev said:

They choose Cali because they were playing there when the tour sent out the first letter to players threatening suspension.

Now it's making sense. Those letters were sent that week because they knew the judge who would draw the case. 

• Like 1

One more little fun one today from the court. The Plaintiffs (LIV) lawyers suggest or project a success....of 20% market share. Judge shoves it right back in the attorneys face saying if you project a success....how can you say it's a monopoly? 

Fun stuff to watch or listen about. Especially when a few of the participants know zero about golf or don't need to know anything about golf. It's all about the law today. 

Judge says no to the three LIVies regarding FedEx Cup...and rejects their bid to play.  Judge said the argument for emergency relief was of "their own making".  She also told LIV the earliest date for the antitrust lawsuit is September 2023...and if that won't work then it will be 2025.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1