Need Caught Up (Recruiting)

BADGERVOL

I got that we have Galloway and Leal. I get that they’re four year type guys and I’m thrilled. I’ve been out of the loop so I want to get back into the recruiting swing of things...so a few questions...

-how many are we expected to sign in this class?

-who are being rumored to be the next type targets?

-do we have bigs we are looking at? Who?

-this class is expected to be a lot of “base guys” correct? Like guys who are gonna be long term players? 3-4 years guys?

-finally any extra tidbits or opinions are welcome :)

have a great weekend gentlemen

32 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I got that we have Galloway and Leal. I get that they’re four year type guys and I’m thrilled. I’ve been out of the loop so I want to get back into the recruiting swing of things...so a few questions...

-this class is expected to be a lot of “base guys” correct? Like guys who are gonna be long term players? 3-4 years guys?

Probably take 1 or 2 more this class and the next target Archie is really after is Matt Cross who is a 6'7 forward.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I believe it’s been said that Archie is planning on this being a 4 man class. Their are several guys that could be the final 2 but Cross, Garcia, and Loveday appear to be the most likely. The PG’s all appear to be long shots at this point. 

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I believe it’s been said that Archie is planning on this being a 4 man class. Their are several guys that could be the final 2 but Cross, Garcia, and Loveday appear to be the most likely. The PG’s all appear to be long shots at this point. 

Im fine with not getting a point guard in this class,that makes it all the more appealing to Lander

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hopefully Cross and a 1 year grad transfer.  We need another ship for 2021.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

My thinking exactly. Plus another benefit is simply having a veteran point. 

But I thought Archie’s system was two hard for grad transfers to learn. Just what some people have said before.

13 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Im fine with not getting a point guard in this class,that makes it all the more appealing to Lander

That's where I'm at. We've got several foundation pieces for the coming years. Pepper those guys with the likes of Lander or others is the model I want. Same way we had the Fife, Hornsby, Coverdale, Moye crew peppered with JJ. 

I’ve always felt we need to be landing a legit PG WITH leadership character traits every other year on average. There was nothing more annoying in all the years of crean’s recruiting at IU then landing Yogi and sitting on him for four years and not once making a plan for his replacement. Absurd and inexcusable.

6 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’ve always felt we need to be landing a legit PG WITH leadership character traits every other year on average. There was nothing more annoying in all the years of crean’s recruiting at IU then landing Yogi and sitting on him for four years and not once making a plan for his replacement. Absurd and inexcusable.

I think it comes down to how confident Archie is in landing Lander lol. I don’t like relying on a freshman pg. So having them overlap a year would be perfect. I’m more worried about the minutes Rob sits. I’m coming around to Al and Armaan helping for those minutes but I would much rather have someone that could overlap with Rob on the floor and play some two...maybe knock down some threes...continue attacking the defense. I trust Archie no matter what. Given how many pgs he has went after in 20 I think he would like another point. We will see if he lands one. The other thought is perhaps he wants a seasoned point to play with Lander just in case Khristian goes 1-2 and done because I can see that happening..I think he is that special. Be nice to have a junior/senior to take over for him if he leaves early.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think it comes down to how confident Archie is in landing Lander lol. I don’t like relying on a freshman pg. So having them overlap a year would be perfect. I’m more worried about the minutes Rob sits. I’m coming around to Al and Armaan helping for those minutes but I would much rather have someone that could overlap with Rob on the floor and play some two...maybe knock down some threes...continue attacking the defense. I trust Archie no matter what. Given how many pgs he has went after in 20 I think he would like another point. We will see if he lands one. The other thought is perhaps he wants a seasoned point to play with Lander just in case Khristian goes 1-2 and done because I can see that happening..I think he is that special. Be nice to have a junior/senior to take over for him if he leaves early.

In my dream world I’d always be looking for PG’s because if they can shoot you can play two together as long as they’re not both sub 6’0”

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

In my dream world I’d always be looking for PG’s because if they can shoot you can play two together as long as they’re not both sub 6’0”

So where does Leal, Galloway, Armaan, and Al play? I agree with you in the case of Lander/Love...maybe RJ Davis who is a special shooter but not too many pure pgs id want to do that with. I think combo guards can fill that back up need but if it isn’t a special pg I want those guys I mentioned earlier on the floor. Their defense, rebounding, and shooting will be hard to take off the floor.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you are Archie, you absolutely do not do anything that could negatively impact your ability to get Lander.  He's that good, possibly would be the best PG at IU since I. Thomas.  And, I think he would be here for at least 2 years.  

I think so too. I also think he would benefit getting to play without the ball some and learning from Rob for a year playing in a backcourt beside him. Then explode in his sophomore season before going pro. Really love the kid.

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you are Archie, you absolutely do not do anything that could negatively impact your ability to get Lander.  He's that good, possibly would be the best PG at IU since I. Thomas.  And, I think he would be here for at least 2 years.  

Tough to put all your eggs in one basket though, especially at point guard... Like others have said, we can’t have a repeat of the situation we had after Yogi graduated.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Tough to put all your eggs in one basket though, especially at point guard... Like others have said, we can’t have a repeat of the situation we had after Yogi graduated.

I've watched him quite a bit...not just because he's lefty, but he reminds me of Mike Conley...

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

So where does Leal, Galloway, Armaan, and Al play? I agree with you in the case of Lander/Love...maybe RJ Davis who is a special shooter but not too many pure pgs id want to do that with. I think combo guards can fill that back up need but if it isn’t a special pg I want those guys I mentioned earlier on the floor. Their defense, rebounding, and shooting will be hard to take off the floor.

Not saying right now I’m saying in theory. One of my favorite none IU starting line ups was that Arizona team that had Damon’s Stoudamire (sp?) and Khalid Reeves. Also loved Marbury and the other PG on Georgia Tech (forgot name). 

But yea combo guards are the next best thing.

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Not saying right now I’m saying in theory. One of my favorite none IU starting line ups was that Arizona team that had Damon’s Stoudamire (sp?) and Khalid Reeves. Also loved Marbury and the other PG on Georgia Tech (forgot name). 

But yea combo guards are the next best thing.

I think Drew Berry played with Marbury. I think you are thinking of Jerrett Jack and Will Bynum in 2005. More recently Connecticut had a few of those style back courts.

Edit: Yeah went back and looked. Marbury came the year after Travis Best...so no two pg backcourt but that would have been a deadly one. We’ve seen great backcourts carry a team to the championship before. Heck look at Purdue with Edwards and Cline getting hot...you can make a serious run. But in your case that relentless attacking offense breaks teams down and can really make the difference.

Archived