Ken Pomeroy's Ranking of D1 Programs

IUFLA

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Is the 18th IU's rock bottom? Really hope so, then, from here on out, all we're going to do is to go up. 

I hope so too. 

I think I understand how he came up with the rankings. Tradition and history beyond 1997 doesn't buy you much.

But below Wisconsin?!?! I never thought I'd live to see that day.

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope so too. 

I think I understand how he came up with the rankings. Tradition and history beyond 1997 doesn't buy you much.

Honestly, that's just stupid. Wisconsin's number of titles? Hello? And golly, they're falling away after Bo. Not the most well thought out 'ranking.'

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

WIthout reading the article.  I've got to ask.  What other B1G BB program has FIVE NC banners hanging in their gym ?

It’s only KenPom’s statistics dating back to 1997, so anything before then is irrelevant. I too am actually surprised IU finished 18th  in that time frame, thought we’d be just outside the top 25.

53 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Honestly, that's just stupid. Wisconsin's number of titles? Hello? And golly, they're falling away after Bo. Not the most well thought out 'ranking.'

Wisconsin made the tournament every year under Bo Ryan and played in 3 F4’s in the time frame measured. I don’t think IU compares.

24 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Wisconsin made the tournament every year under Bo Ryan and played in 3 F4’s in the time frame measured. I don’t think IU compares.

Again. I did not read the article. And based on the comments so for, I doubt that I will.  However, during that span. How may NC's did Bo win?  Yeah. I am an old timer. However, I recall a time when Wisconsin BB never won a BB against IU for something like 21 years in a row.  WIsconsin ?  A flash in the pan. IMHO.  Can't wait for this year.  Bo Ryan?Talk about character. A coach who quit on his team, mid season, to which he later he admitted he cheated on his wife. And did not want to stand the heat. That's the kind of person, we want to represent our kids at IU ? 

Ex-Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan admits affair.

Hey. IR. I really like and respect your being a member of HSN.  But in this case. Especially in your defense of Bo Ryan, in terms of what he represents as a person, I feel you are off base.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I hope so too. 

As a relatively recent IU fan, I can’t imagine a world where Wisconsin doesn’t just completely own us.

26 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

"in the time frame measured." I know we're talking a limited time frame, but Ryan is gone, Wisconsin looks like it's deteriorating, and regardless they never won anything on the national scene including under Ryan. They are far away from a 'blue blood,' they had a run, that run looks like it's probably over. come on, they're not a better basketball program than IU.

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Again. I did not read the article. And based on the comments so for, I doubt that I will.  However, during that span. How may NC's did Bo win?  Yeah. I am an old timer. However, I recall a time when Wisconsin BB never won a BB against IU for something like 21 years in a row.  WIsconsin ?  A flash in the pan. IMHO.  Can't wait for this year.  Bo Ryan?Talk about character. A coach who quit on his team, mid season, to which he later he admitted he cheated on his wife. And did not want to stand the heat. That's the kind of person, we want to represent our kids at IU ? 

Hey. IR. I really like and respect your being a member of HSN.  But in this case. Especially in your defense of Bo Ryan, in terms of what he represents as a person, I feel you are off base.

Sounds like they are only going back to 1997 so none of those championships are counted into this rankings.

Just now, IU Scott said:

But they have been a lot better than we have in that time span.

Not sure about "a lot" -- at times for sure. That time frame, OBVIOUSLY, included the destruction of our program under Sampson/NCAA fall-out, the complete re-build of the program and 4 new coaches. It's kind of a stupid and clearly limited ranking all things considered.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like they are only going back to 1997 so none of those championships are counted into this rankings.

And yet. Our five banners don't count ?   I am sorry. I just don't get it.  I treasure NC's.  Kansas with Danny Manning.  I even told the KU fans just the other day, how much I appreciate their program for what they have accomplished.  Duke with Coach K. Who assisted at IU.  Orsten Artis and Harry Flourney , both from Gary, Indiana who helped Texas Western to a National Championship in the 1960's .  Even the University of San Francisco  who have not one, but two NCAA NC's.  

All those schools have a NCAA National Championship. Something that Wisconsin or even Illinois can't say. Dare I say, even Purdue ?   We've got FIVE !  I don't care what year. History has meaning. IU has FIVE NC's !

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I didn’t say anything about Bo Ryan other than he won and won a lot at Wisconsin. I didn’t mention anything about his character or what he represents so not really sure what you’re getting at?

Wisconsin’s success/results from 97 until now are light years better than IU and I’m as big of an IU homer as there is. The article has nothing to do with all-time records, simply data KenPom has compiled from 1997 on.

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

"in the time frame measured." I know we're talking a limited time frame, but Ryan is gone, Wisconsin looks like it's deteriorating, and regardless they never won anything on the national scene including under Ryan. They are far away from a 'blue blood,' they had a run, that run looks like it's probably over. come on, they're not a better basketball program than IU.

It’s simply when KenPom started collecting data. This ranking isn’t to determine who the best college basketball programs of all time is, not sure why everyone is getting upset over it? Wisconsin from 1997 to present has been a better basketball program than IU.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And yet. Our five banners don't count ?   I am sorry. I just don't get it.  I treasure NC's.  Kansas with Danny Manning.  I even told the KU fans just the other day, how much I appreciate their program for what they have accomplished.  Duke with Coach K. Who assisted at IU.  Orsten Artis and Harry Flourney , both from Gary, Indiana who helped Texas Western to a National Championship in the 1960's .  Even the University of San Francisco  who have not one, but two NCAA NC's.  

All those schools have a NCAA National Championship. Something that Wisconsin or even Illinois can't say. Dare I say, even Purdue ?   We've got FIVE !  I don't care what year. History has meaning. IU has FIVE NC's !

Wisconsin won the 41 title.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

If they were going for the all time great programs they would be included but they are just going back to 1997

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am pretty sure UW won in the early 40's

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I didn’t say anything about Bo Ryan other than he won and won a lot at Wisconsin. I didn’t mention anything about his character or what he represents so not really sure what you’re getting at?

Wisconsin’s success/results from 97 until now are light years better than IU and I’m as big of an IU homer as there is. The article has nothing to do with all-time records, simply data KenPom has compiled from 1997 on.

True. I was the one who mentioned his character.  Still.  Would not want him coaching my kids. 

And then.  Anyone can limit their time to further an agenda.  Same with me. I tend to extend the time. As an IU fan as you to prove the point that... IU has FIVE banners hanging. While Wisconsin has none.

Just now, milehiiu said:

True. I was the one who mentioned his character.  Still.  Would not want him coaching my kids. 

And then.  Anyone can limit their time to further an agenda.  Same with me. I tend to extend the time. As an IU fan as you to prove the point that... IU has FIVE banners hanging. While Wisconsin has none.

I am pretty sure a lot of other fans would question the character of RMK and wouldn't want to have their kids to play for him either.

Archived