Ken Pomeroy's Ranking of D1 Programs

IUFLA

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

True. I was the one who mentioned his character.  Still.  Would not want him coaching my kids. 

And then.  Anyone can limit their time to further an agenda.  Same with me. I tend to extend the time. As an IU fan as you to prove the point that... IU has FIVE banners hanging. While Wisconsin has none.

UW has one

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Again. I did not read the article. And based on the comments so for, I doubt that I will.  However, during that span. How may NC's did Bo win?  Yeah. I am an old timer. However, I recall a time when Wisconsin BB never won a BB against IU for something like 21 years in a row.  WIsconsin ?  A flash in the pan. IMHO.  Can't wait for this year.  Bo Ryan?Talk about character. A coach who quit on his team, mid season, to which he later he admitted he cheated on his wife. And did not want to stand the heat. That's the kind of person, we want to represent our kids at IU ? 

Ex-Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan admits affair.

Hey. IR. I really like and respect your being a member of HSN.  But in this case. Especially in your defense of Bo Ryan, in terms of what he represents as a person, I feel you are off base.

I’m not defending anything but during the span being measured Wisconsin is 28-12 against us including a span of 19-3 in the last 12 years realing off 12 wins in a row at one point over a 5 year span. They have completely owned us. The tides have changed my friend. I think they are changing back but man we have been down for a loooong time!

True. I was the one who mentioned his character.  Still.  Would not want him coaching my kids. 

And then.  Anyone can limit their time to further an agenda.  Same with me. I tend to extend the time. As an IU fan as you to prove the point that... IU has FIVE banners hanging. While Wisconsin has none.

KenPom doesn’t have an agenda to push. His ratings are strictly formula based and are a predictor based on efficiency. I will assure you he didn’t start in 1997 just to make IU fans mad, rather it is simply when he started compiling data.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they were going for the all time great programs they would be included but they are just going back to 1997

And the question is.  Why 1997 ?  What is the watershed for that year ??  Other than to propagate an agenda ? 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And the question is.  Why 1997 ?  What is the watershed for that year ??  Other than to propagate an agenda ? 

It’s when KenPom started compiling data for his website!!! If you actually read the article instead of complaining about why you don’t agree with it just because we wouldn’t be here right now. Your refusal to read the article yet blatant disregard for it is kind of astounding.

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

KenPom doesn’t have an agenda to push. His ratings are strictly formula based and are a predictor based on efficiency. I will assure you he didn’t start in 1997 just to make IU fans mad, rather it is simply when he started compiling data.

Fair enough. I understand.  Pomeroy has nconcept of the totality of College BB history.  Just his.

Won't be following him this season. As a result.  Seeing as how his stats really don't kick in until January. Prior to that time they are based on the previous season. Dare I say ? Stats not based on real time ? 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I guess that is when he started he started to do his date.  Since I am not into analytics I couldn't care less what a computer geek and his stats say about college basketball.

Perhaps no kids in college were even born before it so to them..anything before 1997 may be irrelevant to them. It is actually a good indicator of CURRENT stature not all time stature. I agree it’s probably since they started keeping records at Kenpom but let’s be real...if we get on Purdue fans for having most of their wins and championships before the 50s I think kids nowadays would say IU has been irrelevant since the 80s early 90s so almost 30 years. That’s a lot of dust to blow off those trophies and banners and in the era of modern basketball when only 1 of your championships came since the invention of the 3 pt line or shot clock and none since the start of the AAU era...it’s safe to say our 5 championships are pretty outdated in the landscape of modern basketball.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

It’s when KenPom started compiling data for his website!!! If you actually read the article instead of complaining about why you don’t agree with it just because we wouldn’t be here right now. Your refusal to read the article yet blatant disregard for it is kind of astounding.

Read the article.  And don't agree with it.  Used to like Pomeroy. But when he started charging. I quit.  Why pay for his info, when one can figure it out for one's self.  Especially, the first half of any BB season ?

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Fair enough. I understand.  Pomeroy has nconcept of the totality of College BB history.  Just his.

Won't be following him this season. As a result.  Seeing as how his stats really don't kick in until January. Prior to that time they are based on the previous season. Dare I say ? Stats not based on real time ? 

It’s because you don’t understand KenPom. KenPom is a predictor based on efficiency. In other words, KenPom’s formula suggest how a team should fare, not how they actually fair.

It’s totally fair to dismiss KenPom, but at least understand what his ratings measure before going off. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps no kids in college were even born before it so to them..anything before 1997 may be irrelevant to them. It is actually a good indicator of CURRENT stature not all time stature. I agree it’s probably since they started keeping records at Kenpom but let’s be real...if we get on Purdue fans for having most of their wins and championships before the 50s I think kids nowadays would say IU has been irrelevant since the 80s early 90s so almost 30 years. That’s a lot of dust to blow off those trophies and banners and in the era of modern basketball when only 1 of your championships came since the invention of the 3 pt line or shot clock and none since the start of the AAU era...it’s safe to say our 5 championships are pretty outdated in the landscape of modern basketball.

Quality post. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Read the article.  And don't agree with it.  Used to like Pomeroy. But when he started charging. I quit.  Why pay for his info, when one can figure it out for one's self.  Especially, the first half of any BB season ?

You wouldn’t have the slightest clue as how to configure his ratings. Hate analytics all you want, they’re a part of the game and how it’s played and coached and more importantly factors into NCAA seeding and inclusion.

It’s because you don’t understand KenPom. KenPom is a predictor based on efficiency. In other words, KenPom’s formula suggest how a team should fare, not how they actually fair.

It’s totally fair to dismiss KenPom, but at least understand what his ratings measure before going off. 

Well. It's fair if you want to pay for his stuff.  I quit when he started charging for it.  Particularly, when he admitted it was not valid for a season until January. In that most of his his inputs till then were based on the previous year.

Well. It's fair if you want to pay for his stuff.  I quit when he started charging for it.  Particularly, when he admitted it was not valid for a season until January. In that most of his his inputs till then were based on the previous year.

You only have to pay for his premium content which I don’t.

KenPom ratings aren’t gospel by any means, but they’re entirely more accurate than any person who thinks they aren’t.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

You wouldn’t have the slightest clue as how to configure his ratings. Hate analytics all you want, they’re a part of the game and how it’s played and coached and more importantly factors into NCAA seeding and inclusion.

I don't hate analytics at all. In fact, a HSN member, WaffleHeadFred. Who spends time at my house all the time. Does that for a living. And is very proficient in his job. And makes tons of money using them for betting sports in Vegas.  I agree they are part of the game. You just have to keep up to speed to make them viable.

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Rather go by my 40+ years of watching basketball over a computer geek who probably never shot a basketball.  I just think using analytics pretty much takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me and everyone is trying to dissect every little detail in sports.

Just now, milehiiu said:

I don't hate analytics at all. In fact, a HSN member, WaffleHeadFred. Who spends time at my house all the time. Does that for a living. And is very proficient in his job. And makes tons of money using them for betting sports in Vegas.  I agree they are part of the game. You just have to keep up to speed to make them viable.

As with any kind of measurement, the more data you collect, the more accurate the reading. KenPom is no different. I’ll take KenPom over an AP ranking where half the voters haven’t seen the teams they’re voting for play every day.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Rather go by my 40+ years of watching basketball over a computer geek who probably never shot a basketball.  I just think using analytics pretty much takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me and everyone is trying to dissect every little detail in sports.

How is it that you and I are seeing more and more together on things related to College Basketball ? I agree. And as I posted previously.  I will rely on my untrained eye over a computer.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

See this is where you look silly. That computer geeks formula is more accurate than anything your eyes have ever seen. There’s no bias in any of his formula’s, it’s strictly hard numbers.   

As with any kind of measurement, the more data you collect, the more accurate the reading. KenPom is no different. I’ll take KenPom over an AP ranking where half the voters haven’t seen the teams they’re voting for play every day.

Well. I will give you that. Voters don't see all the teams they are voting on.  Especially the coaches who vote, that don't have time to see most of the games.

How is it that you and I are seeing more and more together on things related to College Basketball ? I agree. And as I posted previously.  I will rely on my untrained eye over a computer.

Your untrained eye has many bias’ that a computer does not. That’s why computer rankings are entirely more accurate, there’s no bias in numbers.

See this is where you look silly. That computer geeks formula is more accurate than anything your eyes have ever seen. There’s no bias in any of his formula’s, it’s strictly hard numbers.   

Does it take into consideration, injuries ?   Like what IU went through last year ?

Archived