Ken Pomeroy's Ranking of D1 Programs

IUFLA

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this has gotten ridiculous. And I would like to voice that I think IndyResident got unfairly called out earlier. 

This whole thread reminds me when I got into my cousin who's a smoker because he claimed that his life expectancy wasn't at risk to decline. His reasoning: his grandma smoked her entire life and she died at 89. 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

i was very surprised that IU was ranked as high as they were. I would bet that if you polled the  average basketball fans under the age of 40  most would not put us in the top 20 

I don't know. I talk to quite a few young guys (25-35...well, comparatively young 😁) and when they see my IU lanyard, basketball is the first subject that comes up.

I know we're no where near the stature that we were 20 years ago, but we still have some umpfh...

I do think Pomeroy is wrong in trying to describe what he's shooting for...I think the IU coaching job would be much more attractive to a "big name" coach than some ahead of us on the list.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know. I talk to quite a few young guys (25-35...well, comparatively young 😁) and when they see my IU lanyard, basketball is the first subject that comes up.

I know we're no where near the stature that we were 20 years ago, but we still have some umpfh...

I do think Pomeroy is wrong in trying to describe what he's shooting for...I think the IU coaching job would be much more attractive to a "big name" coach than some ahead of us on the list.

Is it because they see the IU lanyard. Go ask the same guys to rate the top programs in basketball and see how quickly we get mentioned if you have nothing IU on . I know absolutely very little about motorcycles but on a few occasions I have run into people from South Dakota and I bring up Sturgis Bike Rally.  When y a person thinks IU they do think basketball but if IU is not brought up in advance where are we on the list of top programs. 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is it because they see the IU lanyard. Go ask the same guys to rate the top programs in basketball and see how quickly we get mentioned if you have nothing IU on . I know absolutely very little about motorcycles but on a few occasions I have run into people from South Dakota and I bring up Sturgis Bike Rally.  When y a person thinks IU they do think basketball but if IU is not brought up in advance where are we on the list of top programs. 

Lot of variables when talking to people...where they grew up...their view/knowledge of sports overall...

I think to the common fan, we'd definitely be in the top 20. Like I said, I have no issue with KenPom's ranking of us, I just think he could have qualified it better than he did when the author of the article contacted him.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Lot of variables when talking to people...where they grew up...their view/knowledge of sports overall...

I think to the common fan, we'd definitely be in the top 20. Like I said, I have no issue with KenPom's ranking of us, I just think he could have qualified it better than he did when the author of the article contacted him.

Agree completely. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you teach the kids how to pitch and not just throw as hard you can for as long as you can.  I know there is data for today and what it shows but my point is that if you start the kids early and not wait until they get to the majors to go longer then that would be the best for the game.

Yeah...no, that is exactly wrong.  Too many innings pitched for kids is horrible for their long term health.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

this has gotten ridiculous. And I would like to voice that I think IndyResident got unfairly called out earlier. 

This whole thread reminds me when I got into my cousin who's a smoker because he claimed that his life expectancy wasn't at risk to decline. His reasoning: his grandma smoked her entire life and she died at 89. 

Thank you for the support. I’ve already been warned.

My last thing on this I promise but the reason I kind of went off starting yesterday on this topic was when Miles got called out about Analytics. The poster made it out that if he does not understand analytics then he shouldn't be discussing it.  to me he shouldn't have called out Miles like that and most don't do this on this site.  I got PM'd about calling a poster out but I never made it personal about the poster.  Just stating that being on rivals he was not use to moderators actually moderating the boards.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My last thing on this I promise but the reason I kind of went off starting yesterday on this topic was when Miles got called out about Analytics. The poster made it out that if he does not understand analytics then he shouldn't be discussing it.  to me he shouldn't have called out Miles like that and most don't do this on this site.  I got PM'd about calling a poster out but I never made it personal about the poster.  Just stating that being on rivals he was not use to moderators actually moderating the boards.

He didn't get called out on analytics. He got called out for disagreeing with an article, that he (admittedly) didn't even read (and had no intention of reading), and tried to argue the starting point of the data as if Pomeroy was trying to push an anti-IU agenda ranking Wisconsin ahead of IU. He then claimed he didn't value the article or ranking system because games were played by people and not computers.

15 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He didn't get called out on analytics. He got called out for disagreeing with an article, that he (admittedly) didn't even read (and had no intention of reading), and tried to argue the starting point of the data as if Pomeroy was trying to push an anti-IU agenda ranking Wisconsin ahead of IU. He then claimed he didn't value the article or ranking system because games were played by people and not computers.

You still shouldn't have called him out and make it personal.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You still shouldn't have called him out and make it personal.

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hey. IR. I really like and respect your being a member of HSN.  But in this case. Especially in your defense of Bo Ryan, in terms of what he represents as a person, I feel you are off base.

Called him out? He called me out for simply citing that Bo Ryan won and won a lot at Wisconsin. Don't kid yourself. This all started with him. He attacked me for literally NOTHING I said.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

How is me saying you don't understand analytics personal???

Because you make it sound like anyone who doesn't care for analytics is beneath you guys intellectually and don't really understand the game.  You make it sound like the reason we don't like them is just because we don't understand them but that is not the case because for me I have no use for them. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because you make it sound like anyone who doesn't care for analytics is beneath you guys intellectually and don't really understand the game.  You make it sound like the reason we don't like them is just because we don't understand them but that is not the case because for me I have no use for them. 

So when my 11 and 13 year old sons tell me I don't understand Fortnight or whatever it's called (for the record I don't have a clue how it works and not ashamed to admit it) they're implying I'm intellectually beneath them?

Archived