Nike allegedly offered $20k illicit payment to Romeo

madmax

Not in the slightest bit concerned. It's well-known how Adidas funneled money to Romeo's dad. While some may consider it shady, it's absolutely not outside of the rules.  If he already had 100K to run Romeo's team, it would be no surprise if he turned down another 20K that could cost Romeo his eligibility. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those not worried, regardless of what actually happened, just by his name being mentioned, there is some collateral damage here.  Duke is in a much stronger position than IU to simply ignore and move on.  They have the stronger brand name and more recent success.  I imagine some opposing coaches are already working on the line they will use on the recruiting trail.  Something like, "You know IU has that Nike thing going on with Romeo.  You don't know how the NCAA is going to react to it.  Blah, blah, blah.".  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

For those not worried, regardless of what actually happened, just by his name being mentioned, there is some collateral damage here.  Duke is in a much stronger position than IU to simply ignore and move on.  They have the stronger brand name and more recent success.  I imagine some opposing coaches are already working on the line they will use on the recruiting trail.  Something like, "You know IU has that Nike thing going on with Romeo.  You don't know how the NCAA is going to react to it.  Blah, blah, blah.".  

Based on Trendon Watford to LSU, apparently that doesn't really move the needle anymore.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Is UNC, or Louisville, or MSU, or any other major school suffering, anything?

there’s absolutely nothing here to have any concern about 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

How about UK?   Everyone knows/ claims they pay their players and we haven’t heard one peep about them.  What up?   

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Maybe they don't suffer because they still cheat.  Meanwhile , assume IU does not cheat, but coaches imply we are.  We're not getting the kids on the take nor are we getting  the kids that want to avoid that stuff.  

Just something to think about.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think it probably actually helps IU to be mentioned in the same breath as Duke/Zion. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Just disagree. Name's are mentioned so often anymore I don't think as others have said it even moves the needle. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think it probably actually helps IU to be mentioned in the same breath as Duke/Zion. 

I think you are right.   When you miss the dance 3 straight years and get mentioned with the Top Dog... suddenly we sound relevant.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

I think you are right.   When you miss the dance 3 straight years and get mentioned with the Top Dog... suddenly we sound relevant.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

What I have been saying all summer long.  IU is a historically elite program, despite missing the NCAAT for 3 straight years 5 NC's.  Can't take that away from us.  I don' see New Mexico mentioned along side the likes of Duke. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, milehiiu said:

Two things need to happen:

1.  The NBA needs to rescind the OAD rule.

2.  The NCAA needs to be replaced with a real ruling authority.  Not the joke we have today.

Both of these things I agree with, but in terms of the second one does an exploratory committee get created in order to figure out what to replace them with and who should be in charge.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:37 PM, milehiiu said:

Two things need to happen:

1.  The NBA needs to rescind the OAD rule.

2.  The NCAA needs to be replaced with a real ruling authority.  Not the joke we have today.

Wasn't #1 on the table in the latest negotiations? I wonder whatever happened - it sounded like it had a legit chance of being changed because the commissioner was behind it. 

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wasn't #1 on the table in the latest negotiations? I wonder whatever happened - it sounded like it had a legit chance of being changed because the commissioner was behind it. 

In May the commish said he hoped by the 2022 draft.  There's still plenty of negotiations with the player's union so who knows.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

This is a good comprehensive article on it. What a tangled web

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/03/legal-analysis-change-age-eligibility-rule-one-and-done

If I were to guess, I think that the NBA is okay waiting in hope for the the G-League to develop. Currently 'potential money' from exposure seems to override a guaranteed G-League contract - at least from they highest profile OAD's. The NBA wants the best of all worlds - and they are in the position of power. 

*I did find interesting the past lawsuits that have been put forth against the NFL and NBA were ultimately lost because of collective bargaining. I do also find it interesting that nobody has attempted to file an age discrimination lawsuit yet. Maybe it's the next step. Based on the quote below, you think an argument could be made:

“This is the way the free market is supposed to operate,” Milstein tells SI. “Athletes should be treated no differently than musicians, or actors, or software savants. If they can sell their services at a young age, and their parents are in accord, the market should allow it.” 

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This is a good comprehensive article on it. What a tangled web

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/03/legal-analysis-change-age-eligibility-rule-one-and-done

If I were to guess, I think that the NBA is okay waiting in hope for the the G-League to develop. Currently 'potential money' from exposure seems to override a guaranteed G-League contract - at least from they highest profile OAD's. The NBA wants the best of all worlds - and they are in the position of power. 

*I did find interesting the past lawsuits that have been put forth against the NFL and NBA were ultimately lost because of collective bargaining. I do also find it interesting that nobody has attempted to file an age discrimination lawsuit yet. Maybe it's the next step. Based on the quote below, you think an argument could be made:

“This is the way the free market is supposed to operate,” Milstein tells SI. “Athletes should be treated no differently than musicians, or actors, or software savants. If they can sell their services at a young age, and their parents are in accord, the market should allow it.” 

Some people act like pro sports are the only industry that has any kind requirements or age to determine eligibility to get a job in that industry.

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

An example of one that doesn't permit employees who are at least 18 years of age? 

I am saying that certain industries have requirements to gain employment in that field.  It might be having certain certificate or a degree so why is it bad for the NBA to have a requirement to meet before they gain employment.  I work in the trucking industry and their are certain requirements for our drivers to meet be before they can drive a Semi.  Also you can't drive a semi under the age of 18 and can't join the military under the age of 18.

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

An example of one that doesn't permit employees who are at least 18 years of age? 

Also it is not really an age requirement for the NBA because a kid can be 18 and be in the draft.  All it says is that a kid has to be one year removed for high school until he can enter the draft.

Archived