Nike allegedly offered $20k illicit payment to Romeo

madmax

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

"Throughout college basketball there is bafflement how people have kept their jobs. “I don’t get it,” said one Final Four head coach, who, because he is sponsored by Nike, sought anonymity."

So how many Nike teams were in last year's final four?  That line didn't give the coach much cover. 🤣🤣🤣

Dan is getting some real zingers in here...

"Kansas, after all, famously cried it was a victim of its shoe partner, Adidas, when it was revealed Adidas helped them try to land top prospects. Then it immediately turned around and signed a new, long-term deal with Adidas because it needs that Adidas money and, if it were honest, the help with recruits, too."

...and let's face it...they knew what was going on.  Weren't there emails between Adidas and Self about helping recruit players?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

"Throughout college basketball there is bafflement how people have kept their jobs. “I don’t get it,” said one Final Four head coach, who, because he is sponsored by Nike, sought anonymity."

So how many Nike teams were in last year's final four?  That line didn't give the coach much cover. 🤣🤣🤣

Bennett or Izzo?  Sounds like Izzo to me - always whining about something. 😆

On 8/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, IndyResident16 said:

I'm not on Twitter so had not seen that from Wetzel. I do seem to recall a WaPo article written sometime ago that suggested Tim Langford was in a bidding war with the shoe companies to sponsor a team that he could run. Perhaps Adidas was willing to sponsor a team (which is within NCAA rule) while Nike was only content with ensuring Romeo made it to one of their teams. Perhaps the Langford's didn't want to engage in any shenanigans that would question his eligibility. I'm going to go with the latter so I feel better about things. I believe Romeo played for an Under Armour sponsored team the year before and they typically don't get the recognition that EYBL and Adidas Gauntlet do.

addidas paid him $100,000. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, SIHoosier26 said:

If Nike was really arranging for payments to players then I would lay my own money down that Duke knew about it.

You don't land 3 of the top 4 recruits in the country by accident, Zion was rich long before he got drafted.

duke players have been paid for years. "coach" k knows

Archived