Product reviews

rico

Well I got a new toy today.  A SUNJOE 2-IN-1 electric pole+chainsaw.  Pretty interesting piece of machinery but I needed something to trim the limbs around here.  As of right now I am pretty satisfied for the $60 I paid.  But I might have a different view tomorrow when I really put it to work.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Well I got a new toy today.  A SUNJOE 2-IN-1 electric pole+chainsaw.  Pretty interesting piece of machinery but I needed something to trim the limbs around here.  As of right now I am pretty satisfied for the $60 I paid.  But I might have a different view tomorrow when I really put it to work.

Decent price.  I have a manual limb trimmer. Pull rope for smaller limbs.  And saw on the end for larger limbs.  And as I get older. It becomes more difficult for me to use.  How far ( high ) does yours extend ?  And how big of a limb will it trim ?

Curious to learn how it performs.  I just might have to invest into one of these.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Decent price.  I have a manual limb trimmer. Pull rope for smaller limbs.  And saw on the end for larger limbs.  And as I get older. It becomes more difficult for me to use.  How far ( high ) does yours extend ?  And how big of a limb will it trim ?

Curious to learn how it performs.  I just might have to invest into one of these.

I do believe it extends to about 9 ft.  It is a 10" chainsaw and it will cut up to 9 1/2"(so they say).  I cut a 5 incher earlier.  So given my height and reach I should be able to get limbs about 16 ft. high.  BTW, I got one of the ones you got and that is why I got this one.  They do have a website but I purchased mine off of Amazon.  BTW, 2 year limited warranty...I will keep you updated on it's performance...but it does break down into a normal electric chainsaw for "ground" work.  

46 minutes ago, rico said:

I do believe it extends to about 9 ft.  It is a 10" chainsaw and it will cut up to 9 1/2"(so they say).  I cut a 5 incher earlier.  So given my height and reach I should be able to get limbs about 16 ft. high.  BTW, I got one of the ones you got and that is why I got this one.  They do have a website but I purchased mine off of Amazon.  BTW, 2 year limited warranty...I will keep you updated on it's performance...but it does break down into a normal electric chainsaw for "ground" work.  

Sounds like the performance can be great, given the price.

I gave up on gas mix years ago. Then went to electric. However, got tired of dragging electric cords all over the yard.  Then. I went to battery power.  Love it. Have a edge trimmer and blower. The blower I use all year round.  Blow off my side walk, and patios, even in the winter when the snow is light ( Keep in mind we have a dry climate, which results in a dry snow.) Not sure that would work in higher humidity climes. Beauty is when I am done, no cord to wrap up. Just pop the battery out and recharge for the next use. All my units are Ryobi.

So... based on your post, Rico.  I went to You Tube. To see if Ryobi  has a tree trimmer.  And I found this.

Ryobi 18 Volt Cordless Pole Saw Review! (P4361) #landscaping #cutting #trees #pruning

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I just borrowed my neighbors electric pole saw last weekend as the branches in my backyard are blocking my satellite signal. Not sure of the brand but I had to move it back and forth like a manual saw to get the best results. The power to it was mediocre at best 

And this is what worries me. That's been my experience with any type of electric/battery lawn equipment.

39 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And this is what worries me. That's been my experience with any type of electric/battery lawn equipment.

I have had an electric 14" Poulan chainsaw for years.  It works good, but there is one thing that I noticed when I first got it.  The type of wood you are cutting does make a big difference as far as the saw's performance.  

3 hours ago, rico said:

I have had an electric 14" Poulan chainsaw for years.  It works good, but there is one thing that I noticed when I first got it.  The type of wood you are cutting does make a big difference as far as the saw's performance.  

Well, from that regard, the same holds for smaller gas chainsaws. Especially with softwood trees like pine. Chain needs to be quick and stay hot to keep the sap from gumming up.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I have the craftsman pole saw. Actually got a new one a few years ago as I wore out the first one and Craftsman has the lifetime replacement.

And a Stihl chainsaw for the bigger stuff. 

Is that Craftsman battery operated, electric, 2-cycle, or manual?

Gas powered outdoor equipment will soon be a niche only for landscaping pros who need it to run all day, and even then, it's only a matter of time before they switch to battery in my opinion.  The good cordless tools can produce power equal to or sometimes greater than their gas counterparts.  The only issue is runtime, but improvement in battery technology is on an exponential trajectory.

I'm slowly making the transition to get rid of nearly all of my corded jobsite tools; the cordless tools are actually starting to outperform the corded varieties.  Of course, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc. are going to be lagging behind the bigger manufacturers somewhat, but if you look at Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee, the power and runtime they're delivering with cordless circular saws, for example, is going to make corded versions obsolete in the coming years, not to mention create safer jobsites.

Likewise, Stihl, Echo, and now Ego are making cordless outdoor power equipment that rivals gas versions.  Just check out their 54 volt 16 inch chainsaws.  There's videos of people on youtube cutting down 16 inch diameter, 80 foot tall trees with them.

I have an Ego string trimmer, and I routinely mow down entire lots of overgrown weeds with it.  I used to have an echo gas trimmer, but this thing is much less hassle and has just as much power.

Archived