Pizza Style?

Drroogh

So here is a writer that claims Detroit style pizza is superior to both Chicago and New York style! What is your favorite style?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/sorry-detroit-style-pizza-is-way-better-than-deep-dish-or-a-new-york-slice/ar-AAFRh3h?ocid=spartandhp

Have to say I'm not a fan of either Chicago or New York so this writer may be on to something. Although, after attending my son's October wedding in the Chicago area I may change my mind!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to betray my Midwestern roots here and say I like NY style better. Why? Portability. Pizza is often eaten while doing other things. A big slice of NY style can be eaten one handed while walking. Chicago style is good, but I tend to think about it more like lasagna VS pizza. Need to be sitting down, fork required and its going to be a big meal.

I grew up in NW Indiana.  Where ii was thin crust.  Always cut in squares.  Have even driven back to NW Indiana in the past. To frequent the places I grew up, serving thin crust, cut into square.  Most of the thin crust pizza placed here in Denver, look at me like I am crazy, if I ask to cut it into squares.  However, there is a place in Englewood, Colorado, not far from my house. Been in business for 50 years. When I ask to have thin crust (all they sell), cut into squares, say : "squares it is, it tastes better that way".

Introduced to Chicago Deep dish years later.  I love that as well.  Lou Malnati.

Then I got to Colorado. And was introduced to my favorite of all.  Colorado Mountain Pie.  Served with honey.  To pour on your crust. As a desert.

Beau Jo's Colorado Mountain Pie  Pizza

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Who remembers Anchovies? When I was young it seemed like every pizza place in the Region had Anchovies as a Standard ingredient! Now a days nobody knows what Anchovies are? 

I remember.  Seemed like every pizza joint in Gary had Anchovies on their menu.  We.... always passed.  LOL

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to say I am a Pizza fan! Although I am not even close to being any kind of Pizza expert! I just enjoy pizza even if it isn't close to being on a Keto diet! Have to say of all the pizzas I've eaten the 'Tackle Box' at Anglers Haven south of Hayward Wisconsin is still my all time favorite!

http://www.anglershavenresort.com/

Their menu looks great.  Can understand, just by reading the menu, why you feel the way you do about that place. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Is Pizza King a chain, or Mom and Pop?

They used to have a Pizza King back in the day in Franklin, Indiana. Not bad pizza from what I remember...

Chain. They’re all over Indiana and it’s the same pizza as Arni’s too. 

Side note has anyone had Union Jack’s deep dish in Indy? Fantastic. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Chain. They’re all over Indiana and it’s the same pizza as Arni’s too. 

Side note has anyone had Union Jack’s deep dish in Indy? Fantastic. 

From what I remember, Pizza King had a killer BBQ pizza. That's the only one I remember.

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Is Pizza King a chain, or Mom and Pop?

They used to have a Pizza King back in the day in Franklin, Indiana. Not bad pizza from what I remember...

Chain, but they are regional.  My Pizza King ain't the same as the one in "Boilerville."

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pizza king would work then

Neat. Not every pizza place goes to the effort of getting Provel cheese.  And good to know, especially if you can take advantage of it  We used to have two legit St. Louis style pizza joints here in the Denver area, who flew in Provel Cheese, to insure authenticity.  One. Called Arches, for the St. Louis Arch. Opened and closed before I could make it there.  The other, City Pizza, in Arvada, just closed after many years. I did make it there, though it was a drive.

Some people don't care for the taste of the provel  cheese, nor the cracker thin crust.  It's for sure, not New York style.  However, I love it.  And if another true St. Louis style pizza place would open close to me, I would be there in a flash.  Also, I believe,  Colonial Crester, the creator and owner of Hoosier Sports Nation, and who used to live in Missouri, before moving to Arizona,  could tell us more, I am sure.  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Not to change the subject, but I will.  Whatever happened to Noble Roman's?  Used to be one in Warsaw and at least one in Fort Wayne by Glenbrook.  

I loved Noble Roman's back in the day.  Started out in Bloomington, Indiana.  Once had three stores in metro Denver. All closed now.  Just a handful left today. One of which is in "Da Region" Merrillville. 

Noble Roman's 

Archived