Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
Drroogh

Pizza Style?

Didn't read all through this to see if anyone else has hit these, but around here, my favorites are 6th street Bobe's in Vincennes and Monical's in Linton.  Both awesome for different reasons.

Bobes:  The Faruch pizza or the loaded stromboli

Monicals:  Just about any thin crust they offer and a salad with their sweet & tangy house dressing.

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Didn't read all through this to see if anyone else has hit these, but around here, my favorites are 6th street Bobe's in Vincennes and Monical's in Linton.  Both awesome for different reasons.

Monicals:  Just about any thin crust they offer and a salad with their sweet & tangy house dressing.

I grew up on Bobe's and worked at Mr. Gattis who's pizza was terrible but had a nice game room.

My wife is from Central Illinois and turned me on to Monicals.

Maybe a little before my time but I remember someone I worked with saying the old hunan garden across from Wendy's was a monicals pizza in the 80's?

Agree on Bobe's Faruch btw.

Edited by mrflynn03

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I grew up on Bobe's and worked at Mr. Gattis who's pizza was terrible but had a nice game room.

Maybe a little before my time but I remember someone I worked with saying the old hunan garden across from Wendy's was a monicals pizza in the 80's?

Actually started there in the late '70's but yeah...we used to eat Monical's in Washington before they went into Linton.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Actually started there in the late '70's but yeah...we used to eat Monical's in Washington before they went into Linton.

It's good to see Monicals making comeback.  Their breadsticks and their sweet and tart dressing is the best.  And some damn good thin crust pizza.  

Plus its makes the wife happy since she followed me down here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I forgot all about Bobes.  

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agree on Bobe's Faruch btw.

I don't recall there being a Monical's in Vincennes, unless you're talking the very early 80s. I can remember one in Washington, and then in Robinson, IL and Olney, IL, but not one in between.

If you're talking about the Wendy's on 6th, there used to be a Noble Roman's (converted to Little Caesars) in the strip mall behind there.

And damn...haven't thought about Bobe's in years. Farauk was some good eating.

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't recall there being a Monical's in Vincennes, unless you're talking the very early 80s. I can remember one in Washington, and then in Robinson, IL and Olney, IL, but not one in between.

If you're talking about the Wendy's on 6th, there used to be a Noble Roman's (converted to Little Caesars) in the strip mall behind there.

And damn...haven't thought about Bobe's in years. Farauk was some good eating.

The old Washington location is the one I was wondering about. Vincennes does have a monicals now on the far west side. 

Another bobes favorites is their cheese bread. I haven't been there in quite awhile. I'm going to have to get some soon. 

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Been nearly 20 years since I had Bobes, with a couple Knox County legends Gene and Aaron Hall

A little further south, Sandys Pizza in Ft. Branch (Gibson County) is real popular...….

14 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

A little further south, Sandys Pizza in Ft. Branch (Gibson County) is real popular...….

I dont remember it very well.  Actually Gene and Aaron and myself met with Basketball coach at Gibson Southern at the time. He was the best in the state running Princeton offense. He also helped set us up to go meet with Coach Pete Carrill 

Edited by Billingsley99

6 hours ago, rico said:

I can't speak for the rest of the state, but in my little part of it Pizza King has quite the following.

I had to google search if there was one near me.  Uh, a mile and half.  Guess Pizza King hasn't been on my mind very much in the last 2 years since being in the Cicero/Noblesville area.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I had to google search if there was one near me.  Uh, a mile and half.  Guess Pizza King hasn't been on my mind very much in the last 2 years since being in the Cicero/Noblesville area.  

LOL...I used to stay in Cicero when I was working in the Indy area.  My boss had a place on Morse.  Seems like there were 3 of them in that area.  

Watching the news this morning and saw Pizza King was putting a new one in the Fort.

53 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL...I used to stay in Cicero when I was working in the Indy area.  My boss had a place on Morse.  Seems like there were 3 of them in that area.  

Watching the news this morning and saw Pizza King was putting a new one in the Fort.

Pizza King in Greensburg is great,  the one in north Vernon not so great

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Pizza King in Greensburg is great,  the one in north Vernon not so great

I didn't watch all of mile's video...but my understanding is that they are independently owned and operated.  Where I live the 2 in Warsaw, 1 in Columbia City, 1 in Silver Lake, and 1 in North Webster are all owned by the same person.  The food at all of them tastes the same.  The difference between them is whether they sell beer/wine or have a lunch buffet.  I have ate at the ones in Lapel and Royerton and the food tastes the same as it does here at home.  Now I did eat at one in West Lafayette that was horrible.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

I didn't watch all of mile's video...but my understanding is that they are independently owned and operated.  Where I live the 2 in Warsaw, 1 in Columbia City, 1 in Silver Lake, and 1 in North Webster are all owned by the same person.  The food at all of them tastes the same.  The difference between them is whether they sell beer/wine or have a lunch buffet.  I have ate at the ones in Lapel and Royerton and the food tastes the same as it does here at home.  Now I did eat at one in West Lafayette that was horrible.

I know  there are at least 3 different ownership groups 2 of them are my clients but for some reason the one in north Vernon is not very good

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know  there are at least 3 different ownership groups 2 of them are my clients but for some reason the one in north Vernon is not very good

Years ago (70s) there was a Pizza King in Franklin. I believe it closed sometime in the 80s.

The pizza was tasty...

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't know how the ownership/franchise works.  But as I said that one in Lafayette wasn't good, it just didn't taste like I was used to.  Different sauce perhaps?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Years ago (70s) there was a Pizza King in Franklin. I believe it closed sometime in the 80s.

The pizza was tasty...

It would have been the late 90's when I ate at one in Whiteland.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The pizza was tasty...

Yes that location had the train bring your drinks to the table. The 1in Avon  is still like that I believe 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1