Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
Reacher

Weather events/ Massacre near Billings

Recommended Posts

Just now, Reacher said:

Would not have posted here except this hit near Billingsly.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Montana-hailstorm-slaughters-11-000-birds-14366687.php

Who else here is fascinated by weather events? I, for one, take interest in the big snowstorms, tornados, hurricanes, floods, etc.

Huge weather fan. The huge extremes we see are our new norm. Whether (no pun intended) it's temp swings, floods, rains, drought.....I've long thought that the way we've treated our planet the weather extremes is Mother Nature's way of pushing back. Europe heat wave. Our own domestic issues....and hurricane season just starting. Could go on and on with domestic/international examples. 

Good topic. Here in Central Indiana we finally are getting a break. We've had dew points all week around 74 or 75 which for us....it's just not supposed to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to keep this post for weather news and updates.

Not to get off topic, or political, I get what you are saying about the weathe extremes but have to wonder if that is just because of more of a focus by the media. Personally, I remember the blizzards of 67, 77/78, summer temps over 100, cold snap of 30? below around 1990 all in the Chgo area- all happening 30+ years ago. Logic would say those should be more  common now. We have a "polar vortex" with temps 0-10 below and it is national news now. 

I saw a great article not too long ago on the topic that researched this. Can't locate it now but did find this- https://www.longdom.org/open-access/trends-in-extreme-weather-events-since-1900--an-enduring-conundrum-for-wise-policy-advice-2167-0587-1000155.pdf

Still not the article I had in mind but this one has some nice graphs on the historical frequency of some weather events-https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/despite-what-youve-heard-global-warming-isnt-making-weather-more-extreme/

and this one is recent referring specifically to heat waves- https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/realimpactofweatherwithdrjoelnmyers/throwing-cold-water-on-extreme-heat-hype/70008963

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mother Nature is a fickle woman.  In my 52 years on this planet the strangest back to back winters was '82 and '83.  In '82 we had snow and extreme cold(that would have been the year of the big flood in Fort Wayne when the spring thaw came).  FFWD to '83 and it was 60 all winter.  One of the coldest winters followed by the warmest.  

Great topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Below around 1990 all in the Chgo area-

I can't remember the exact year (90? 91?) when my family and I traveled back on our yearly Christmas time trek to Terre Haute from the Florida panhandle. Was 32 when we left Fort Walton Beach, -8 in Birmingham and a wake you up -22 in Vincennes. 

When we upacked at Mom's house, I forgot to bring in a 6 pack of soda which exploded. Luckily, it was so cold it immediately froze and I picked the whole mess up with 1 hand. Didn't even leave a stain.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is the winter I was referring to. I remember driving on I294 late in the day and was shocked at the lack of traffic. The heater in my car was not strong enough to defrost my rear windshield. 

Chicago also had record cold this summer but doubt many noticed- https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/6/19/18691540/chicago-weather-summer-rain-cold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think that is the winter I was referring to. I remember driving on I294 late in the day and was shocked at the lack of traffic. The heater in my car was not strong enough to defrost my rear windshield. 

Chicago also had record cold this summer but doubt many noticed- https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/6/19/18691540/chicago-weather-summer-rain-cold

I'll throw in one other thing...having lived in Greenland for a year (and unless there are enough natural resources to power the planet for a million years, they can keep that icecube) once it goes past -20 (coldest I saw was -45) there's not a helluva lot of difference on the miserability scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think that is the winter I was referring to. I remember driving on I294 late in the day and was shocked at the lack of traffic. The heater in my car was not strong enough to defrost my rear windshield. 

Chicago also had record cold this summer but doubt many noticed- https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/6/19/18691540/chicago-weather-summer-rain-cold

Good friend of mine owns a tree/flower/plant farm....haha....he noticed. Millions in lost $. Was one of the coldest/rainiest starts ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find weather events and climate interesting too. I remember one spring break in April, I think in 1993 or 94 where it snowed enough to build an igloo.  Also have had hunting seasons with temps in the 70's and 80's. 

I'm not sure if weather/climate swings are any more abnormal. Technically, until the next ice age, we will be in a warming trend.  Depending on what one believes, humans have existed for roughly 30,000 years and the industrial revolution started about 220 years ago.  Humans have definitely polluted earth but as old as earth is I think it's a stretch to claim climate change is man made.  I believe it is just earth doing its thing. We are just around to be able to see it happen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowed for days and days, before coming to a stop. Uncle had a ranch house completely covered in snow. And it was a month before any vehicle made it down the street of my parent's house.

Region came to standstill during Blizzard of 1967 | Northwest Indiana History 

Then a record was set just a few days ago :

Grapefruit-size hailstone in Colorado breaks state record 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever been in the middle of a weather event?

I've been through a tropical storm (Alberto 1994) and 2 hurricanes (Erin and Opal 1995). Mother nature is nothing to mess with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anyone ever been in the middle of a weather event?

I've been through a tropical storm (Alberto 1994) and 2 hurricanes (Erin and Opal 1995). Mother nature is nothing to mess with.

I was on a canoe trip in the boundary waters of Minnesota when this happened. 

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/07/04/bwca-boundary-waters-blowdown-anniversary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was on a canoe trip in the boundary waters of Minnesota when this happened. 

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/07/04/bwca-boundary-waters-blowdown-anniversary

I hope you were not on the water. Those lakes can get rough.

I've had to put up sandbags for flooding (thankfully stopped just before my house), and seen a couple of tornadoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Anyone ever been in the middle of a weather event?

I've been through a tropical storm (Alberto 1994) and 2 hurricanes (Erin and Opal 1995). Mother nature is nothing to mess with.

I remember this pretty well I bet others do here as well...

https://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/04/03/looking-back-at-the-april-3-4-1974-super-outbreak/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That had to put quite a twist on a canoe adventure...

Sure did. We didn't know how serious it was until we got back to the outfitters.  They even made us a certificate showing we survived "the storm of the century"

And I had forgotten all about it until you asked your question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reacher said:

I hope you were not on the water. Those lakes can get rough.

I've had to put up sandbags for flooding (thankfully stopped just before my house), and seen a couple of tornadoes.

Luckily we still had camp setup as it started to roll in.  Nobody wanted to fight the waves and paddle into the wind. So we just hunkered down in our tents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I fell for some fake news. 

"As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years."  https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

"Most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest has already been cleared." https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/24/world/americas/amazon-rain-forest-fire-maps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I think I fell for some fake news. 

"As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years."  https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

"Most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest has already been cleared." https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/24/world/americas/amazon-rain-forest-fire-maps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The "rain forest" is a touchy issue all the way around.  Depending on what media source you go to, there are so many different takes/agendas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, took the time to go through the posts. Thanks Reacher for starting it. My father was a weather extremist so to speak. Not like the ones now a days, but no matter how important or not of a conversation was going on, everyone in the family new they had better SHUT UP when the weather came on the evening news. He kept track of all things weather with detailed logs of temperature, pressure, humidity and rain/snow fall. He would tell that the weather had two significant cycles. One was a 7 year cycle and the other was a 100 year cycle. And Heaven forbid they fall together! I am with others here, that Mother Nature has a FAR greater influence on weather than man ever could.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, IUFLA said:

Anyone ever been in the middle of a weather event?

I've been through a tropical storm (Alberto 1994) and 2 hurricanes (Erin and Opal 1995). Mother nature is nothing to mess with.

About eight years ago I was watching the weather report on the news about significant weather approaching! As I looked at the projections, I was like no problem, it will pass to the north of me. A feeling immediately came over me of how selfish my thought was, so I immediately prayed for those who would be in the path of the storm and then went to bed. About midnight I was awoken to my window blinds slapping in and out and the sound of a freight train approaching. After it passed I was looking out my kitchen window to see my neighbor a volunteer firefighter coming up the hill with his flashlight checking up on everybody. We went to the neighbors house past me and everyone was Okay. Then we proceeded to crawl and climb over the forest that had been flattened to get to my other neighbors house. Luckily everyone was all right and nobody suffered any severe house damage!! An F2 had gone right between my house and my neighbors, didn't know I was praying for my neighbors and myself that night! !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

About eight years ago I was watching the weather report on the news about significant weather approaching! As I looked at the projections, I was like no problem, it will pass to the north of me. A feeling immediately came over me of how selfish my thought was, so I immediately prayed for those who would be in the path of the storm and then went to bed. About midnight I was awoken to my window blinds slapping in and out and the sound of a freight train approaching. After it passed I was looking out my kitchen window to see my neighbor a volunteer firefighter coming up the hill with his flashlight checking up on everybody. We went to the neighbors house past me and everyone was Okay. Then we proceeded to crawl and climb over the forest that had been flattened to get to my other neighbors house. Luckily everyone was all right and nobody suffered any severe house damage!! An F2 had gone right between my house and my neighbors, didn't know I was praying for my neighbors and myself that night! !

WOW !

 Been in one tornado in my life time.  They are no fun.  Was when I was a student at IU.  On summer break.  Working at U.S. Steel.  Coming home on the bus at midnight. On the bus.  A guy getting off the bus, one stop ahead of me, got blown back into the  the bus as he was getting out, and decided to stay on the bus.  Then it was my stop. Got off, and literally got blown half a block down the street. Managed to catch and hang onto a light pole. And hung on for dear life.  Then decided to try to make the two block journey to my house. Running all the way, in the middle of the street.  Trees breaking in front and back of me.  Actually had to climb over two big trees that had fallen down in the street.  Made it home. Scared out my life. And soaking wet. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...