Weather events

Reacher

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's called "derecho."

I'd never heard of such before I read the linked article...

Well.  Once again.  I learn something because of Hoosier Sports Nation.  Thanks for the link.  Those pictures in the story do tell of the damage in the Denver metro area.  And it's true.  The wind lasted for hours.  And is now picking up again. Today. Sunday.  June 7.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It snowed in Colorado yesterday.  The mountains. We don't call that extreme.  We call it welcome.  As much of the runoff is used for water along the front range.

I only had minor wind damage, but east and west of me there was considerable tree damage, and some structural damage. Had to run my generator all night. 

20 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I only had minor wind damage, but east and west of me there was considerable tree damage, and some structural damage. Had to run my generator all night. 

Power went out at my house at 1:30 a.m. Actually woke me up. It was out for just a short time. And when I went into the kitchen to reset the clocks on the stove, microwave, and Kuric.... which I did. And as I headed back to bed.... power went out again.  Just for a short period of time. Just like before.  Reset the clocks for a second time. Headed off to bed. And power never failed after that.

Thanks for being a great Hoosier Sports Nation member.  Thankful that you had only minor wind damage. 

Edited by milehiiu

45 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Thanks Mile. Glad your power came back on. We take it for granted, that's for sure. I've had this generator for over two years, and had never had to plug it into the house before. Glad it worked perfectly. 

The power was out for a short time. Thank goodness. And the weather was fine.  I have thought about investing in a whole house  generator for a long time.  But haven't. Glad to hear you have  a generator.  My sister and brother in law invested in a whole house generator years back. WIth an automatic turn on.  It has been a life saver for them a couple of times during the winter in Ohio. They have actually invited neighbors to come over, while the power was out for hours. 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Crop damage in Iowa due to Derecho event

The storm, known as a derecho, slammed the Midwest with straight line winds of up to 100 miles per hour on Monday, gaining strength as it plowed through Iowa farm fields, flattening corn and bursting grain bins still filled with tens of millions of bushels of last year’s harvest.

Just a bunch of hayseed, redneck deplorables living out there in flyover country, so it's not even news. 

• Haha 1

For several  days, Denver has been under a severe weather advisory, due to smoke from  the wild fires in California.

Since this video was taped.... multiple additional wild fires have broken out in Colorado :

3 major wildfires burning in Colorado forcing evacuations 

Parts of Interstate 70 are shut down due to many other wildfires :

Forest Service Shuts Down Mountain Road Overtaken By Rerouted I-70 Travelers 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

For several  days, Denver has been under a severe weather advisory, due to smoke from  the wild fires in California.

Since this video was taped.... multiple additional wild fires have broken out in Colorado :

3 major wildfires burning in Colorado forcing evacuations 

Parts of Interstate 70 are shut down due to many other wildfires :

Forest Service Shuts Down Mountain Road Overtaken By Rerouted I-70 Travelers 

My wife is driving my daughter to school at ASU. Wanted to hike Hanging Lake on the way. Due to closure, had to take a detour and missed it. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

My wife is driving my daughter to school at ASU. Wanted to hike Hanging Lake on the way. Due to closure, had to take a detour and missed it. 

Wow. Should have pm'd me.  And stayed at my house.   But how would they have known. If your wife needs a place to stay... pm me.  Really.

Yeah.  Hanging Lake.... one of Colorado's many treasures is under siege today.

Grizzly Creek fire has reached Hanging Lake area 

If anything. The wildfires and smoke have gotten worse since my previous post. 

Stay safe... you and yours

Edited by milehiiu

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Wow. Should have pm'd me.  And stayed at my house.   But how would they have known. If your wife needs a place to stay... pm me.  Really.

Yeah.  Hanging Lake.... one of Colorado's many treasures is under siege today.

Grizzly Creek fire has reached Hanging Lake area 

If anything. The wildfires and smoke have gotten worse since my previous post. 

Stay safe... you and yours

Thanks. I would have reached out if I was going. They are already in UT. Didn't enjoy driving down Monarch pass, lol