Weather events

Reacher

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

2020-08-12-11.43.18.042-CDT.jpg

Have her check before heading back.  Perhaps I-80 would be an alternative.  As the Denver Post reported this morning (Sat. Aug. 15) that there now is no alternative way to get around the fires surrounding I-70

She's flying back. Took 286 to 50 to get thru on Thurs 

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

Not a good way to start the week in central Iowa.  Below are pics of my house after the storm.  In the front yard, the neighbors tree branch nailed the roof of my garage.  In the back yard, it uprooted one of my trees.   

image.thumb.png.9c6797d1cdadd8eae24dcf997a17faaf.pngimage.thumb.png.911760b9da587387a4dfa9054299523d.png

That's terrible...that wind must have been something!

Hope you can get it all fixed up soon...

1 hour ago, BDB said:

Not a good way to start the week in central Iowa.  Below are pics of my house after the storm.  In the front yard, the neighbors tree branch nailed the roof of my garage.  In the back yard, it uprooted one of my trees.   

image.thumb.png.9c6797d1cdadd8eae24dcf997a17faaf.pngimage.thumb.png.911760b9da587387a4dfa9054299523d.png

I had no idea.  Glad you are safe.  That is the most important thing.  You have got a lot of work to do.  Or hire a tree removal company.  The link of the video is unreal as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Be safe this week to our Texans on the board. Seems like Laura is trending for Houston. 

Yeah, we get possibly a BOGO on tropical storms/hurricanes this week. Marco looks only to bring rain according to forecasts. Laura is the one to worry about.

During Harvey, I had power and even satellite TV the whole time. Workplace got flooded, so I worked from home (like I'm doing now). My place sits on high ground so I'm not too worried. I'd start worrying though if the water ever got over 16 hands high 😁

Edited by IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, we get possibly a BOGO on tropical storms/hurricanes this week. Marco looks 9nly to bring rain according to forecasts. Laura is the one to worry about.

During Harvey, I had power and even satellite TV the whole time. Workplace got flooded, so I worked from home (like I'm doing now). My place sits on high ground so I'm not too worried. I'd start worrying though if the water ever got over 16 hands high 😁

Only experienced 1 hurricane in my life and I got my moneys worth....from a distance. Andrew back in early 90's. Family was down in South Florida for end of summer trip before I headed back to IU. Dad made the call to cut the trip short and head north. Luckily we did. Be safe this week! I'm a weather fan and buff but hurricanes remind us how very small we are. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Only experienced 1 hurricane in my life and I got my moneys worth....from a distance. Andrew back in early 90's. Family was down in South Florida for end of summer trip before I headed back to IU. Dad made the call to cut the trip short and head north. Luckily we did. Be safe this week! I'm a weather fan and buff but hurricanes remind us how very small we are. 

Been through 1 tropical storm (Alberto in 1994) and 3 hurricanes (Erin and Opal in 1995 and Harvey in 2017). They can be scary. We evacuated to Opp, Alabama (about 90 miles inland) for Opal and still caught 100 mph winds. Got shelter in an old brick church. There were times it wasn't funny anymore. But, the next morning, the church ladies had coffee brewing with generators and the Hardee's manager from down the street had his people come in at 5 and fix breakfast sandwiches for all of us refugees.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

The bad thing about the storms that hit the gulf coast, is that the tropical storms can be just as dangerous as the hurricanes. 

Two years ago when we went to Panama City a tropical storm hit.  They closed the beach a couple of days before the storm hit due to the rip tides being so strong.  I knew something was up because the last time I was in the ocean I noticed how strong the current was getting

• Like 1

We'll, we're stocked up, gassed up, and have money. All there is to do now is wait. Traditionally, the serious stuff happens on the Northeast side of the storm. On its current track, my place is on the Northwestern side. So I expect wind and rain, and hopefully not much else. God speed to the people in the path of the eye...

Screenshot_20200826-064841.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll, we're stocked up, gassed up, and have money. All there is to do now is wait. Traditionally, the serious stuff happens on the Northeast side of the storm. On its current track, my place is on the Northwestern side. So I expect wind and rain, and hopefully not much else. God speed to the people in the path of the eye...

Was just seeing the latest on Laura this morning and thinking about you. Stay safe and hunker down! Sounds like you are prepared as you can be.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good luck with things. Sounds like you've done everything you can do!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stay safe and hope things don't get bad for your area.

• Thanks 1