Weather events

Reacher

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is pretty typical winter weather in Indiana. Just don't see why everything has to shut down or stop for a couple inches of snow. 

I bet schools here will get another 2 hour delay tomorrow. lol

I imagine it is all due to the school buses.  We have had quite a few bus fatalities in these past few years in this state.

The cold is here to stay- 

• Over the next week we expect temperatures vs normal to average 15 to 20 degrees below normal on a widespread scale from Montana to Kansas City, Chicago, near Indianapolis, and all areas in between.
  • The cold vs normal is also expected to drop all the way down to near Dallas and Houston, and extend as far east as New York City.
  • With the Polar Vortex looking to remain in a very favorable position for arctic blasts of air, expect additional notable cold behind storm systems into the week 2 period. We think that this continues throughout week 2, especially as the colder air sinks further south

Got about 6 inches of snow last night.  About wiped out on my way to work this morning.  When pulling on the interstate, went to accelerate, uphill, and did a few fish tails. I guess all the mudding and donuts in icy parking lots growing up paid off. 

Just so I could sit in orientation for another 8 hrs. Longest week ever. 

Also, my new car sucks, not really, but went out last night to do donuts. It has an anti slip feature that kept me from doing any. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Going to be on the northern fringe of the ice storm that is supposed to cripple a big chunk of Central and Northern Kentucky tonight through Thursday.  I really, really, really need to move to a warmer climate when the kids are out of school.

They're saying 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice. Yikes! 

47 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sounds like a couple of more winter storms are heading this was next week. The school district I work for told us to start making plans in case we’re out all week next week. 

I dont pay much attention to weather reports but my wife keeps me informed.  She saw somewhere that next week is supposed to be the worst since to 78 blizzard I'm sure we've all heard about. 

I dont know. We will find out I guess. 

Edited by mrflynn03

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont pay much attention to weather reports but my wife keeps me informed.  She saw somewhere that next week is supposed to be the worst since to 78 blizzard I'm sure we've all heard about. 

I dont know. We will find out I guess. 

The 78 blizzard! Remember it well...

Since we couldn't cruise out in the country, when they got US-31 passable, me and a friend sloshed back and forth between Franklin and New Whiteland drinking Jimmy Fox mixed with Mountain Dew...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Since we couldn't cruise out in the country, when they got US-31 passable, me and a friend sloshed back and forth between Franklin and New Whiteland drinking Jimmy Fox mixed with Mountain Dew...

Yes, I lived through the Blizzard of 78 where I grew up in Noblesville. It was brutal. I lived on a farm and my Dad and I had to go out in it to tend to the livestock. I had to hold onto his belt because you couldn't see an arm's length away, the snow and wind was so bad at it's peak.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My dad was in high school and told a few stories about it.  No school for a month. 

Also, my 8th grade history teacher, the Chuck Crabb of Washington high school and an expert on WHS basketball told me this. 

WHS in 1978 finished 27-2 losing to Terre Haute South in the Semi State championship game. The tournament was delayed about a month and finished in April I believe.  Local farmers would get their tractors out to take the team to practice.

Mr. Spillman is convinced that if not for that blizzard that team would have won it all. 

Trivia, an IU player was on that team. Who?

On 2/9/2021 at 3:57 PM, 5fouls said:

Going to be on the northern fringe of the ice storm that is supposed to cripple a big chunk of Central and Northern Kentucky tonight through Thursday.  I really, really, really need to move to a warmer climate when the kids are out of school.

Moved to FL last year. It was 83 and sunny here today. Lived through too many miserable winters in IN, NE OH and Iowa.

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Moved to FL last year. It was 83 and sunny here today. Lived through too many miserable winters in IN, NE OH and Iowa.

Wife and I are in serious discussions about it.  Youngest is a high school freshman right now.  I want Arizona.  Spring Training and abundant sunshine.  She's all for that, but only for part of the year.  I'm like, uhhhhh we ain't paying for and keeping up two houses.  

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My dad was in high school and told a few stories about it.  No school for a month. 

Also, my 8th grade history teacher, the Chuck Crabb of Washington high school and an expert on WHS basketball told me this. 

WHS in 1978 finished 27-2 losing to Terre Haute South in the Semi State championship game. The tournament was delayed about a month and finished in April I believe.  Local farmers would get their tractors out to take the team to practice.

Mr. Spillman is convinced that if not for that blizzard that team would have won it all. 

Trivia, an IU player was on that team. Who?

Bouchie?