Weather events

Reacher

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Should be...even then I got a big ol manure pile that is steaming inside. I'll dig us a little crap hut in it šŸ˜

Been quite a few years ago, but we had an ice storm barrel through.Ā  The sub zero temps and winds that followed rendered me without power for 5 days.Ā  My ice fishing equipment came in handy.Ā  Propane and kerosene lanterns lit up all over my house.Ā Ā 

Ahhhh, the good ole days...brings a tear to my eyes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Been quite a few years ago, but we had an ice storm barrel through.Ā  The sub zero temps and winds that followed rendered me without power for 5 days.Ā  My ice fishing equipment came in handy.Ā  Propane and kerosene lanterns lit up all over my house.Ā Ā 

Ahhhh, the good ole days...brings a tear to my eyes.

The only thing I'm worried about are the PVC water pipes in the barn freezing. They did that a couple of years ago when it got into the teens and I had to replace everything (hey, my contribution to the DIY thread!). It was a mess.Ā 

They're all wrapped, but I'm putting a little heater next to the pipe that comes out of the ground, and I'll let it drip too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The only thing I'm worried about are the PVC water pipes in the barn freezing. They did that a couple of years ago when it got into the teens and I had to replace everything (hey, my contribution to the DIY thread!). It was a mess.Ā 

They're all wrapped, but I'm putting a little heater next to the pipe that comes out of the ground, and I'll let it drip too.

Can you buy heat tapes down there?

Every single county in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Ohio is under a winter storm warning now. All but 2 counties in Indiana are as well.Ā 

Ā 

Wind chill warnings cover 5 entire states: the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. Only 2 counties in Iowa and one county in Minnesota aren't included in those.Ā 

Ā 

This system is incredible. Not ready to call it the blizzard of '78 yet, but this could be big, nonetheless.Ā 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have an electric AC unit. Well my auxiliary heat function quit do I can get my house up to 56 degrees.

Cant get a Technician until next week.Ā 

Luckily, in my past life I was an Eskimo so the cold doesn't bother me.Ā 

I tried to fix it but its above my pay grade.Ā 

I'd be in a hotel...

Stay safe...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'd be in a hotel...

Stay safe...

Fortunately the grocery store in town has a few electric heaters rated at 5100 btus.Ā  So on my way to go buy one.Ā 

I like to fix things myself and am very stubborn about that. But sometimes I have to give in.Ā 

My wife is right all the time and has a client that owns anĀ HVAC/plumbing business but he is chillin in Florida for the next few weeks.Ā 

Ā 

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fortunately the grocery store in town has a few electric heaters rated at 5100 btus.Ā  So on my way to go buy one.Ā 

I like to fix things myself and am very stubborn about that. But sometimes I have to give in.Ā 

My wife is right all the time and has a client that owns anĀ HVAC/plumbing business but he is chillin in Florida for the next few weeks.Ā 

Ā 

Stay warm my friend!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sorry to quote myself but my new heater raised my temperature by 10 degrees.Ā Ā 

We just went out and double blanketed the horses. It's 26 here. My blood is so thinned out though that it feels like it's, in the immortal words of my father, "colder than a dead Eskimo's arse."Ā 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We just went out and double blanketed the horses. It's 26 here. My blood is so thinned out though that it feels like it's, in the immortal words of my father, "colder than a dead Eskimo's arse."Ā 

Do you feed them corn?Ā  When we had a cattle operation here back in the day we fed our herds plenty of corn in the cold months.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Do you feed them corn?Ā  When we had a cattle operation here back in the day we fed our herds plenty of corn in the cold months.

No, we just feed hay and grain.

Our neighbor feeds rice bran, and his horses always seem to have colic issues. He's lost 2 this year to it.

Ours eat only the finest. My wife sees to that. Plus they get more supplements than Arnold Schwarzenegger...

• Like 1