Weather events

Reacher

Not sure what has to happen for my area to actually get a thunderstorm. 90 degrees today with dew points in the 70's. Unstable airmass, but only a 30% chance of rain. 

The Iowa derecho was a year ago today. I remember hearing about it all day and preparing for the storm of the century. I was treated to a downpour and 40 mph winds. 

• Like 2

I don't know what goes into a weather forecast, but wouldn't you think if a severe thunderstorm watch was issued where you live, the local forecast would have a storm chance a bit higher than 30%? 

Had 3 different storms pass a few miles north of me this morning. Three hours of thunder while the sun was out. Weird stuff. 

15 minutes ago, these two tornadoes sighted in the county, heading towards Madison.  Seem to be weakening.  Should fade out.  But sirens are going right now.  Pic is actual, not an example.

Edit:  they are funnel clouds, not tornadoes.  I got the picture from a local TV station, 2 minutes after it was posted. 

Second edit a few hours later:  they totally fizzled out.  Not even any rain.  Had a pretty sunset.  Odd summer up here.

aug tornadoes.JPG

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, this evening's thunderstorm cost me a 60" flat screen and our aerial antenna.

Thank goodness for streaming.

So you actually got thunder and lightning?

I'm convinced there is a forcefield that surrounds my town. Haven't had a decent storm in years. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We got a little rain but a very impressive lights and sound display. I love a good thunderstorm as long as there is no damage or anyone hurt

Me too, some of my favorite memories as a kid was sitting on the front porch with my Dad watching and listening as a big storm rolled in. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Me too, some of my favorite memories as a kid was sitting on the front porch with my Dad watching and listening as a big storm rolled in. 

The family cabin up in WI is great for that. Just grab a coffee and sit on the front porch to watch the storm come across the lake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree, but here in GA shortly after the storm goes through the temps come back up and suddenly everything is steamy.😠

Fleeting joy then! It’s still 93 here in Brooklyn right now. 93 doesn’t seem that hot if you live in the south, but all of that asphalt and reflective surfaces make it feel like soup here. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Fleeting joy then! It’s still 93 here in Brooklyn right now. 93 doesn’t seem that hot if you live in the south, but all of that asphalt and reflective surfaces make it feel like soup here. 

People think I’m crazy, probably right!🤪

But two things, I miss the snow!

And I don’t use air conditioning until extreme situations. Like over 100!

• Like 1

It's been a weak year for storms around here, maybe one of the weakest I can remember. But yesterday, there was only a 20% chance of rain, and I had 3 storms roll through in succession. When the last one ended, it was near sunset, and I stood out on the patio listening to the water drip from everywhere while seeing an awesome sunset. Sometimes it's not always the big storms that give you the best moments. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, Leathernecks said:

A town in Illinois about 30 minutes from me got over 11 inches of rain yesterday. Flooded most of the town. Luckily where I'm at, we only got a couple inches.

Just catching up on this thread....was that GC? That's been the hard part to figure out because usually the weather created in/or near Central Illinois finds it's way to Indy. We might have received a tenth of an inch all week. Dark skies every single day and every day the rain doesn't fall. 

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just catching up on this thread....was that GC? That's been the hard part to figure out because usually the weather created in/or near Central Illinois finds it's way to Indy. We might have received a tenth of an inch all week. Dark skies every single day and every day the rain doesn't fall. 

Yeah, it was. I think I know where it dumped all the rain before it got to you!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just ran across this which you might like. Shows all the rain that came through that day, and you can see it all die off just before Indy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcia.com/weather/how-did-gibson-city-receive-so-much-rain/amp/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just ran across this which you might like. Shows all the rain that came through that day, and you can see it all die off just before Indy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcia.com/weather/how-did-gibson-city-receive-so-much-rain/amp/

Know that area well. My Great-Grandfather owned about a 1000 acres near Rantoul. Of course his son sold it all in early 80's farm crisis....which obviously wasn't the best call. Haha.

Send us some rain please. Whole area is brown and your article is exactly right. Everything has been dying as it approaches Indy the last month.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Know that area well. My Great-Grandfather owned about a 1000 acres near Rantoul. Of course his son sold it all in early 80's farm crisis....which obviously wasn't the best call. Haha.

Send us some rain please. Whole area is brown and your article is exactly right. Everything has been dying as it approaches Indy the last month.

My uncle use to be the head boiler room guy at Chanute AFB in the early 70s. Always cracked me up that there was a head shop outside of every gate at Chanute...

One of my roomies in the USAF was from GC...then when I went to Greenland, I was playing volleyball with a mixed group of Danes and Americans, and one guy (RCA tech) had a Gibson City Greyhounds t-shirt on...he'd graduated with my roomie...small world I guess...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Captain obvious here, but that would have been great to still have all that land!

That's crazy you guys are brown over there. Everything here has stayed green all summer, and crops are unbelievable. I'll try to send a little your way!

• Like 1